BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

new iPhone & BMW bluetooth issues

I was in line at 5:30am yesterday for a new iPhone and had mine in hand by 8:45am. When I did the bluetooth pairing, it all seemed to go well, but then I made a call. And OH MY GOD, the ECHOING!! Everything I said was loudly echoed back through the speakers. The person I was calling could hear it too. I tried rebooting the phone, re-pairing it, nothing works. Conversations are very painful.

I posted to the Apple support forums about this, and so far one other person reports the same problem with their new iPhone 3G and BMW (don't know what car they have specifically).

All other things seem to work fine (although I haven't tried the iPod cable yet). FYI - I don't have nav, I just use the regular radio/steering wheel interface.

If you have any suggestions, I'm open to trying them. I did NOT have this problem with my 1st Gen iPhone. I'm currently in the middle of swapping my SIM card back to my old phone and doing the software upgrade to see if that's the main problem (which means it could be fixed in then next release). Unfortunately, doing this forced a new "reactivation", which is taking some time. Grr.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
I was in line at 5:30am yesterday for a new iPhone and had mine in hand by 8:45am. When I did the bluetooth pairing, it all seemed to go well, but then I made a call. And OH MY GOD, the ECHOING!! Everything I said was loudly echoed back through the speakers. The person I was calling could hear it too. I tried rebooting the phone, re-pairing it, nothing works. Conversations are very painful.

I posted to the Apple support forums about this, and so far one other person reports the same problem with their new iPhone 3G and BMW (don't know what car they have specifically).

All other things seem to work fine (although I haven't tried the iPod cable yet). FYI - I don't have nav, I just use the regular radio/steering wheel interface.

If you have any suggestions, I'm open to trying them. I did NOT have this problem with my 1st Gen iPhone. I'm currently in the middle of swapping my SIM card back to my old phone and doing the software upgrade to see if that's the main problem (which means it could be fixed in then next release). Unfortunately, doing this forced a new "reactivation", which is taking some time. Grr.

amy!
I have the same problem with feedback/echoing. I repaired once and that reduced the echoing but it's still there. The only thing that helps is to lower the volume - workable but highly annoying. I will wait for a fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Reducing the volume isn't so easy when the top is down. Which is pretty much my default state. Sure the echo goes away, but then so does the other party!

As a test, I just went through the hassle of swapping my new SIM card to my old iPhone and doing the 2.0 upgrade on it, hoping that maybe the issue was the software upgrade. Nope, the echo doesn't exist with the 1st Gen iPhone.

And I've gotten some responses to my thread on the Apple Support forums - several other cars (Toyota Tundra, Nissan Rogue) have the same echo problem. And one guy works at a BMW Center and has encountered the same issue with the 3-Series and the 6-Series. And has 2 customers with new iPhones reporting the problem too.

Damn you, Apple!!!

amy!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

For some reason, my prior post doesn't have proper paragraph breaks, nor can I edit or delete it. Tonight I'm cursed when having anything to do with BMW or Apple. *sigh* amy!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

hmm...I haven't experienced any probs with mine. I wonder why some have problems and some don't.
      07-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
wikidpete
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Vert

I have the same issues with the iphone 3G.
      07-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Ivor
Private
Rep
Drives:

I dont have an Iphone but usually when a new handset version gets released there are still some issues to be sorted out via firmware to address these kind of problems. I would give it some time. Surely a firmware upgrade would be release for either the Bmw kit or the Iphone 3g.. Just my .02
      07-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
For some reason, my prior post doesn't have proper paragraph breaks, nor can I edit or delete it. Tonight I'm cursed when having anything to do with BMW or Apple. *sigh* amy!
If you're posting from a phone, you'll have to use some HTML tags.

To post this:
Quote:
Hi.

How are you?
I am fine.
Type this:
Code:
<p>Hi.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>How are you?</p>
<p>I am fine.</p>
At least, that's how it works on my Palm Centro.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

+1 for bluetooth echo with new iphone 3g

my old iphone got me praise for how clear the conversation went
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Hm, if everyone knew about the htc diamond touch pro and the software update for it paired with batterystatus and overclocking it to make it insanely responsive/ ungodly awesome......sorry, I am not hijacking, just making conversation about phones
About the iphone,
A new software patch (update) is the ONLY thing that can cure that... if it ever will. Thats about it. Until then, curse the iphone every day it syncs to your car
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #11
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
If you're posting from a phone, you'll have to use some HTML tags.
Nope, posting from my Mac like I always do. Something has gone wonky. Maybe Apple doesn't like me dissing the new iPhone. Maybe I just need to restart.

amy!

e.t.a: restarting didn't fix it, but upgrading Firefox did.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #12
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

My HTC has the same echo sometimes.
      07-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
No problems here with the new iphone.
      07-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Really? You're the first success I've seen. Did you get 8 or 16 GB?

amy!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
Justin(OKC)
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 M3, 1990 M3, 1998 M3/4

Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [9.28]
1988 BMW M3  [9.40]
1990 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i - sold  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 - sold  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
So did your address book download and everything working like the old iPhone? I ordered my iPhone Friday and have been nervous about it ever since. I love the iDrive for its phone capabilities with the address book. If I lose that or have a hard time communicating I will be totally bummed out.
2011 BMW 328i racecar - LeMans Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin(OKC) View Post
So did your address book download and everything working like the old iPhone? I ordered my iPhone Friday and have been nervous about it ever since. I love the iDrive for its phone capabilities with the address book. If I lose that or have a hard time communicating I will be totally bummed out.
I don't have iDrive, but my phone book is completely accessible through the radio just like it was before. All the iPod features work as well. The only problem is the terrible echo. And it's enough to make me seriously consider returning it.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Htc has never given me a problem echoing, but I know mine inside and out. Btw C topher, lmk if you have any problems with htc echoing or programing, I have like 10 different roms you can try (depending on phone) that gets rid of those bugs. AND its free....FTW MAN!!!!! Like I said.......I run....at&t stores.......phones are my life, if your phone has an issue, its either the car or the software....wait for an update or a file to download
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #18
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

I just reported the echo problems at http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Hopefully, if Apple receives enough feedback something can be done about this asap.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice1 View Post
I just reported the echo problems at http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Hopefully, if Apple receives enough feedback something can be done about this asap.
i did it as well... and this echo is happening in my 2008 BMW X5 4.8. so we know this is not a 1 series design flaw
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #20
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er junkie View Post
C topher, lmk if you have any problems with htc echoing or programing, I have like 10 different roms you can try (depending on phone) that gets rid of those bugs. AND its free....FTW MAN!!!!! Like I said.......I run....at&t stores.......phones are my life, if your phone has an issue, its either the car or the software....wait for an update or a file to download
Thanks for the offer, 1er J. I am a cell phone addict as well. I have the HTC Trinity with a cooked WM 6.1 Pro from the folks at XDA-Dev. The echo is only intermittant. It is a pain in the arse to hard reset and restore all of my customizations, plus the Tom Tom installation, so I really don't want to switch ROMs at this point. Besides, I think I am about to switch to the iPhone as soon as the software developers release the 2 programs I use most on the App Store, and ditch the Trinity to eBay.
      07-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #21
YoungTurk
Private
Rep
Drives:

Although I don't have a 3g iPhone, I do have an LR3 with factory bluetooth, and I posted a question to an LR3 board and iPhone 3g owners reported having absolutely no problems with it and their LR3, and that it worked just like the original iPhone did (does).

YT
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #22
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Topher View Post
Thanks for the offer, 1er J. I am a cell phone addict as well. I have the HTC Trinity with a cooked WM 6.1 Pro from the folks at XDA-Dev. The echo is only intermittant. It is a pain in the arse to hard reset and restore all of my customizations, plus the Tom Tom installation, so I really don't want to switch ROMs at this point. Besides, I think I am about to switch to the iPhone as soon as the software developers release the 2 programs I use most on the App Store, and ditch the Trinity to eBay.
HTC Kaiser here, Dutty's WM 6.1Pro cooked rom Radio 1.64.08.21 with zero issues with BT in my car. Maybe you can just reflash the radio rom. You won't need to do a damned thing to your apps or reinstall anything.
Appreciate 0