BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-07-2010, 01:15 AM   #111
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Yea that's definitely not CF diffuser. In all circumstance, it won't matter that much in terms of weight savings.

Last edited by Robert; 10-07-2010 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:57 AM   #112
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyratOne View Post
Your right there. Looking at these photos, I take a step back and realize how stupid BMW looks when they do this strip tease. Im over it, show us the damn car already

Yes but from a business perspective... The average people viewing the ///1M section has been 25-60 IIRC. Yesterday I decide to wander over to 1addicts dot com for some mindless viewing and WTF? 250 people viewing!! Oh shit it's another "UNVEILING!!" How did I miss that! And today there are still a load of viewers. BMW has everyone drooling. I'm guilty too, me want now. They've really got people interested and it makes you wonder, if they would just have unveiled it all at once, would it have created the same buzz and interest? From one perspective, if their putting this much time and energy into it, it's probably going to be one badass respected machine in terms of performance. I'm curious to see what they will do to it to make it slower than the M3 on paper though, or will they? If the 135 is faster than the 335 than the 1m should be faster than the M3 one would think. Hopefully that's the case and they will realize people buying the M3 just want more space but the 1M is the fastest, HAHA I must be dreaming out loud.

Shure the whole striptease is a bit annoying and the fact that they bring out some chick that I wouldn't mind banging seems a bit less sophisticated than I would expect from BMW, but hey in the end it seems that they pay attention to detail and they just want that to be seen. They want you to know this is NO NORMAL ONE! (Hopefully the performance upgrades are as great as the looks.

Looks like a bangin' ride. Wish there were more colors. oh sorry, was it un-enthusiest to want a blue
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 02:44 AM   #113
NTTY
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G30 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The guy is head of BMW France.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Nope. He is responsible for all marketing regarding the 1M Coupe both commercial andn viral.

(...)

The 1M is now on it's to the UK. Some news on that shortly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Power World View Post
Nope.

You see Baudouin Denis, General Manager Marketing BMW France. He unveiled the car, because the unveiling took place in France.

And, sorry, the car is not on it's way to the UK.

Wow, guys, this is better than any TV serie.

Nothing interesting about the car, but we are all watching the show Please keep going. Best is the picture below from the next episode "The one who made her come", stay connected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post

10-07-2010, 04:05 AM   #114
///M///M Good
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: people nuts

I'm with the "This is pointless" crowd. My initial excitement and curiosity over the fact that BMW has a fully-assembled production-accurate 1M to show off has been replaced by something close to apathy. Aesthetically, it's a flared-fender and different bumper version of a car that's been out for 4 model years now. We already know what it looks like, so what's with the world tour striptease? I'm just glad that the car has those CSL wheels that the test mules had - they look killer on the car. The quads look good, too. It would be far more interesting if the striptease were accompanied by a couple of related mechanical facts about the car, like horsepower and redline, weight and weight distribution, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #115
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M///M Good View Post
I'm with the "This is pointless" crowd. My initial excitement and curiosity over the fact that BMW has a fully-assembled production-accurate 1M to show off has been replaced by something close to apathy. Aesthetically, it's a flared-fender and different bumper version of a car that's been out for 4 model years now. We already know what it looks like, so what's with the world tour striptease? I'm just glad that the car has those CSL wheels that the test mules had - they look killer on the car. The quads look good, too. It would be far more interesting if the striptease were accompanied by a couple of related mechanical facts about the car, like horsepower and redline, weight and weight distribution, etc.
Everyone keeps saying the CSL wheels will be extra.
Again, if the wheels are extra (Isn't normal price like 2k?), and all the other goodies you would expect are extra (Pro Seats, CF/AL roof, etc) then this will get to be way to near the Base M3 price.

I really hope this isn't the case. Even if it doesn't come with CSL wheels, I hope at least it comes with something nice and all AL. If we get the 135 basic wheels as a base that will just be a shame.

I'm eagerly awaiting December.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #116
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Everyone keeps saying the CSL wheels will be extra.
Again, if the wheels are extra (Isn't normal price like 2k?), and all the other goodies you would expect are extra (Pro Seats, CF/AL roof, etc) then this will get to be way to near the Base M3 price.

I really hope this isn't the case. Even if it doesn't come with CSL wheels, I hope at least it comes with something nice and all AL. If we get the 135 basic wheels as a base that will just be a shame.

I'm eagerly awaiting December.
Haven't seen any testing with 18" wheels. I wonder if these got scrapped to save costs too?

Would be good if 19"s were the standard fit.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #117
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
are you going to show or what
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #118
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

DAMN I really really didnt want to want this car. But from just the small amount that Ive seen,...Im diggin it. I even kinda like the Valencia orange. (Flame away all)
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #119
M3V10
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F20M

looks interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #120
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

As far as the wheels go... they had the same set of wheels on all the official images starting with the M346, that I can remember. The first Pics of the M392 showed the same wheels. And... how long was it before you coulkd actually buy them? They'll stick standard 18" on the car and I'd rather walk than run 19" wheels just for looks!

Cheers

Peter
      10-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #121
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
As far as the wheels go... they had the same set of wheels on all the official images starting with the M346, that I can remember. The first Pics of the M392 showed the same wheels. And... how long was it before you coulkd actually buy them? They'll stick standard 18" on the car and I'd rather walk than run 19" wheels just for looks!

Cheers

Peter
How about testing though?

All we have seen on 1M so far is the 19".

Weren't the e46 and e92 mules and prototypes spotted with both sizes?

How can they gauge what it drives like if they don't test it?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #122
Itanius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
VIDEO of Uncovering:
==>
The video has been made private now.
      10-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #123
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Weren't the e46 and e92 mules and prototypes spotted with both sizes?
I can't remember. Were they?

Quote:
How can they gauge what it drives like if they don't test it?
Since they don't actually balance a cars brakes, but leave that to the ABS and since they are obviously taking existing axles from the shelf, what is there to test? The biggest difference I can see would be wheel weights when setting up the springs/shocks but I can't imagine anyone setting a serial car up so precisely. The serial car will only get one setup anyhow and would have to run on both option wheels with that. You don't get a setup change, when you have serial 18" taken off and 19" put on by a dealer, do you?

Last edited by EmmDrei; 10-07-2010 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #124
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
The biggest difference I can see would be wheel weights when setting up the springs/shocks but I can't imagine anyone setting a serial car up so precisely. The serial car will only get one setup anyhow and would have to run on both option wheels with that. You don't get a setup change, when you have serial 18" taken off and 19" put on by a dealer, do you?
Believe it - when you order a BMW, they actually select springs based on the options on the car. So if you plan on running 19", you're better off selecting that option from the get-go, the car will be slightly optimized for that configuration.

I've found out that whenever you order OEM springs for a BMW, you must provide the VIN so they can figure out the options.

Now I'm not suggesting they actually manufacture springs based on your precise option configuration - I imagine they have a range of springs available based most likely on weight differences (and surely wheel differences).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #125
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itanius View Post
The video has been made private now.
Guess they are trying to make everyone view the video through the m-power site.

You can see the video here: http://www.m-power.com/_open/b/close...lang=en&x=2198 (registration required)
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #126
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I've found out that whenever you order OEM springs for a BMW, you must provide the VIN so they can figure out the options.
May be true, I have no idea. Fact is: most of us run two sets of wheels on our cars here in Germany (one for winter and one for the rest of the year) and I know nobody, that runs their M39x winter tyres as 19". Afaik there is only one officially "M approved" winter tyre and that is an 18" Michelin. So european/german 19" M39x customers will very frequently be running 18" and 19" wheels on the same car. And no, there are no setup changes.
      10-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #127
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:

Cheers

Peter
Some of the first pics of the E92 M3 showed the E46 M3 CSL wheels (style 127), and it was pretty clear that they wouldn't re-use them for the E92 M3. The 1M however sports the E92 ZCP wheels (style 359), and it's quite certain that they'll be available. As already mentioned the E92 M3 was tested with both 18" and 19" wheels, so it's either that we just haven't seen prototypes running 18" wheels yet or the 19's are to remain the only wheels offered.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #128
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Anyone else notice the gauge color. We saw this in the TTi concept did we not?

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #129
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm not technically minded (automotive at least) so I can only comment on what I have seen (19") and what I have not seen (18").

Are the wheel arches/fenders too large for 18"s? There's already a gap?

Last edited by as7920; 10-07-2010 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #130
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Gaps wheel gap isn't a crime. It's cosmetic for everyday driving. I bet a car with slightly softer/compliant suspension will fair better on the street.
      10-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #131
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Are the wheel arches/fenders too large for 18"s? There's already a gap?
As far as the M3 goes, the only difference between 18s and 19s is the ratio between wheel and tire, but the overal dimension is nearly identical (give or take 1 cm regarding circumference). The 1M uses the same wheel specs, so it would be the same.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #132
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
As far as the M3 goes, the only difference between 18s and 19s is the ratio between wheel and tire, but the overal dimension is nearly identical (give or take 1 cm regarding circumference). The 1M uses the same wheel specs, so it would be the same.

Best regards,
south
Thanks South.

Just the sort of explanation I needed.

Cheers.

Mark.
Appreciate 0