BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #45
roadcarver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 e82 135i /13 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
Same with the "SO CALLED" smooth close ratio 6 speed in my Civic Si. Getting into 3rd gear in a hurry sometimes grinds gears. It really sucks. I have heard using a better synthetic Redline trans oil helps?

Jeff1962, my previous car was an 07 Civic Si also. I never experienced to severe difficulty some did with their shifts but once or twice did feel as though I temporarily hit a wall when shifting to 3rd gear. I dont know if this helps but my new 328i coupe with 6speed manual feels the same way as the OP stated when accelerating briskly and attempting a quick shift to 2nd. However, this feels nothing like a wall as with the Si. The car does go into 2nd fairly easy, there is just a harder notch it has to go into when driving hard. I dont believe it is anything like the Si 3rd gear problem. It does seem to slightly slow my shift to 2nd gear though. Im not sure if the 1 series has the same manual tranny as the 3 series or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #46
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
Way overblown. I experienced it one time. I wouldn't have an autotragic becuase of this. Just love the MT. It is silky, yet positive, almost all of the time.

Ok thanks for the feedback guys.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #47
Yoot1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
So I guess the question is...are you guys sorry you got the 135i in a MT after dealing with this or is this being overblown.
Hell no! Now, if I had to live with the CDV, that's another story.
      04-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #48
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

There are several things that will or might help the situtation:

1) more miles to thoroughly break in the tranny,

2) install the modified CDV to improve clutch action,

3) drain and fill the tranny with Redline MTL, Amsoil MTL or similar.

Personaly, I think the CDV will be the solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #49
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

From my past experience, it smoothes out over time.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #50
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
Careful. I have been driving MT's for the better part of 40 years.

You're answer is very pretentiuos. I do indeed know how to drive a stick very well. Many driving schools under my belt. I can assure you that the MT in the BMW is a bit cantankerous going into second.

Quite frankly I got tired of MT in traffic. I test drove a 335i step prior to making my decision. I found it more than adequate for the job and so I ordered one.

So unless you have experience first hand, and by the info about you it appears you do not even own a BMW, I suggest you keep some of those comments to yourself.
#1 - My comment was aimed at the guy who said "should steptronic be the transmission of choice?" that statement examplifies what I was talking about. Not any of your statements.

#2 - My statement has nothing to do with having first hand experience in the 135 stick or not. I'm just saying there's no way slushbox would be my transmission of choice in any car I purchase. If the 135i stick sucks, it doesn't mean slushbox is the transmission of choice, it just means the car shouldn't be a car of choice.

#3 - I'm glad you know how to drive stick well. I never said that everyone that does so is gonna pick a manual. But at least you know what you are missing if you go with a slushbox. Again, my original statement was not aimed at you!

#4 - Sorry my answer rubbed you the wrong way.

Resorting to "you don't own a BMW" is not a real argument. That's what people say when they don't have real arguments.

EDIT: reading over your comments again, I realized that you may have thought I was saying that "people that think its notchy don't know how to drive it properly." I wasn't saying that at all, read my original post. I had quoted someone that said the auto is the best choice because of the notchiness. And I disagree with that conclusion. If the manual tranny is really bad, best choice is to avoid the car, in my opinion. As to the premise, I am *guessing* that it is notchy, but maybe still livable. I never said "i know its not notchy." Hope this clears things up.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #51
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Let's be nice, people.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #52
take-heed
Rep
Drives:

I have had the same "problem" in my 545i and previous 540's. It seems to be a common BMW trait with their manuals in higher powered cars.

I believe that eventually you generally adapt your shifting when going from 1st to 2nd. I still occasionally manage to crunch the gears but far less frequently than before.

I am not surprised that people are finding this happening in their 1 series. I kind of expect it in my new 135i and don't believe it will impair my enjoyment of the car.

TH
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #53
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

The Getrag box in my E46 was terribly notchy. The 1's gearbox felt much improved. If I lived with the M3's box, I'm sure I can manage just fine with whatever the 1's will turn out to be.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #54
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
Jeff1962, my previous car was an 07 Civic Si also. I never experienced to severe difficulty some did with their shifts but once or twice did feel as though I temporarily hit a wall when shifting to 3rd gear. I dont know if this helps but my new 328i coupe with 6speed manual feels the same way as the OP stated when accelerating briskly and attempting a quick shift to 2nd. However, this feels nothing like a wall as with the Si. The car does go into 2nd fairly easy, there is just a harder notch it has to go into when driving hard. I dont believe it is anything like the Si 3rd gear problem. It does seem to slightly slow my shift to 2nd gear though. Im not sure if the 1 series has the same manual tranny as the 3 series or not.
Thats good to hear. I have read ALOT about many UNHAPPY 06-07 Si owners with the 3rd gear problem. Like posted earlier, Amsoil synthetic trans fluid should help. But I don't have the problem very often, just now and then.

When I bought the 2007 BLACK Civic Si sedan, I was planning on only a temporary ownership. I am waiting to order a 135i in 297 days.

I would never keep a BLACK car any longer. TOO much suffering. PAIN IN THE @$$ BLACK.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #55
pascrelg
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 135I

test drove the 135i last weekend

The car is great in so many respects, but I did notice that shifting from first to second only gave me problems. I am not a great stick driver, but I have been practicing on my friends car so I am no expert. I will try to explain what happened and hope someone with more expertise might answer.

Several times during the test drive I revved the engine hard in first before shifting to second and could not find the gear. I pulled back on the shifter and felt a rubbery feel like something was forcing me from engaging the gear. Yes, this issue only seemed to happen in second gear.

Is this my lack of experience or did the car need to be warmed up or a third reason?

Thanks for any advice. This and the stiff steering-wheel feel was are my only issues with the car.

Otherwise this car was so composed and fast that reving the engine in third was a dream.

G.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #56
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascrelg View Post
The car is great in so many respects, but I did notice that shifting from first to second only gave me problems. I am not a great stick driver, but I have been practicing on my friends car so I am no expert. I will try to explain what happened and hope someone with more expertise might answer.

Several times during the test drive I revved the engine hard in first before shifting to second and could not find the gear. I pulled back on the shifter and felt a rubbery feel like something was forcing me from engaging the gear. Yes, this issue only seemed to happen in second gear.

Is this my lack of experience or did the car need to be warmed up or a third reason?

Thanks for any advice. This and the stiff steering-wheel feel was are my only issues with the car.

Otherwise this car was so composed and fast that reving the engine in third was a dream.

G.
Search the site for CDV.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #57
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
I always use redline transmission fluid in my turbo cars
Appreciate 0