BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

900+ miles 135i quick review

First a little on my past cars so you know where I cam coming from. I have had a 95 Mustang GT, 98 Mustang Cobra (4.6L 32v 7200 RPM readline no low end tq (but 4.10 gears made up for that), 2001 Camaro SS, 2004 Mustang Cobra (4.6L Supercharged gobs of low end and good top end), and a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (2.3L single small turbo -fast spool).

I have modded all of these cars in one way or another. Some power out of the 95 and 98 but started with some high HP/TQ cars with my 2001 camaro. I did heads, cam, full exhaust, tune ... over 400rwhp/rwtq with this car. Then I got the 2004 Cobra. To date, this is the best car I have owned and I regret getting rid of it. With not a lot of money (but more than some have spent as I wanted to do it right), I ended up with 509rwhp and 520rwtq .. Gobs of low end tq and still good on the high end. With the IRS, this car was a dream to drive as well..

The mazdaspeed 6 was my first Turbo car. The turbo spooled up fast. My mods were only an air filter, bigger tires/wheels, and exhaust (catback only) ... This really seemed to help with the power and it was AWD and fun to drive .. the problem is that I missed my RWD feeling .......

Finally I now have the 135i .. I have had it since mid March and now have over 900 miles on it. I have noticed lately that the engine is really loosening up and it seems to be getting more power ... The engine is a dream. It spools up fast and you have a lot of low end grunt ... it pulls through the RPM range and I enjoy that engine sound better than any other car (even over the blower whine in my cobra) ... The car really feels tossable as well. It handles well and I have only noticed a slight nudge towards understeer. There is enough room for me inside and it really is built well. My only issues are a slight rattle with one of the rear speakers on a certain type of beat and a door rattle. I will take this in to the dealership to resolve.

Anyway .. just wanted to share some of my thoughts ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
walsh416
Private
Rep
Drives:

Nice write up!! Question about the montego blue, does it get dirty easily or anything?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsh416 View Post
Nice write up!! Question about the montego blue, does it get dirty easily or anything?

Since it is a darker color, it will show dirt a little more than say silver. My last car was RED and it shows dirt about the same as that car.

Thanks,
Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Good write-up! I too loved my Cobra, and always regretted ditching it.

On my ED trip, I came to the conclusion that the 1er is just as good as an overall car. It feels like a BMW version of my Cobra, and I can't wait to start slapping mods on it.
Appreciate 0