BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

to give the 128 some credit, and then take some back

i like technology. efficiency. i'm kinda a tree hugger. a mechanical engineer who contemplates energy and environmental policy. this makes me want to like the 128i. but unfortunately the EPA numbers for fuel economy between the two are so similar it comes down to one's right foot. still, for peace of mind i wanted to like the 128i.

so i drove it, and fortunately they even had one with a sport pack (vert ). the austin bmw dealership is nicely situated atop spicewood springs road, a pleasant curvy little one-lane each way with trees and sunshine. the car handles great. i now concur with everyone that the seats alone are worth the sports pack but ESPECIALLY on the 128 where you get the stiffer suspension. but it felt soft. all dealerships only have autos. i kept talking to the guy told him what i was interested in and what i was trying to feel out and luckily there was a 328 manual to test drive. it made all the difference. feeling the engine, that small additional connection to the road. an automatic 128 is a no-no. even with the paddle shifters (which are ridiculously ass-backwards in functionality). and it really is all the power you need, i feel. and honestly i was even impressed with the brakes. it is a well balanced automobile, honestly about the right amount of everything i could ask for.

i test drove the 135 as well, of course. the power was just relentless. it is a fast, driving machine. it just goes. i got to drive everything else alone (cause he was busy) but not the 135i and the SA started saying he was getting carsick (:iono:????) regardless i pushed it as much as i needed, or really as much as i could, and was having to really stretch to get to enjoy my additional performance capability (probably why he got car sick, there was a lot of off/on because of single lane road traffic. but if it was that serious of a problem for him he seriously needs to get a different job or grow a set). i can really only see this thing living up to its potential on a track. but oh boy.. there.. i dont think i could personally ask for more. and i will say i was getting up to around 80 effortlessly where i was at around 60 in the 128 i wasnt enjoying it that much more and shit, i was on a 35mph road.. 60 is enough! the 135i is for track use and dick wagging. although it does either with prestige and poise.

i am now on-board with everyone that the sports seats and steering wheel are phenomenal. really really a shame that steering wheel cant come on the 128i. both are a must.

and yes i may be out of the loop but the amount of electronic gadgetry on cars nowadays is.. distracting? i dont like it. give me either one with the sports package and hifi stereo, thanks.

but bottom line with all the awesomeness you get standard on the 135i, the price difference just doesnt justify NOT buying a 135i. its like they want people to get it.

128 w sport & hifi $31,450
135 w sport & hifi $37,550

true because of the options it looks like the 135 is closer to 40 and the 128 closer to 30 but really there is just a $6k difference. that's fairly negligible over 60months and what do you get? 18" wheels (which counts a lot for me i suppose because i really like the msport wheels and 17s look undersized IMO on a 1er), a much improved aero kit (especially in person, its the difference between babybmw and bulldogbmw), a steering wheel for DRIVING driving, xenons, huge brakes, and - oh yeah - two expertly integrated turbochargers. i think the main thing is that if i got a 128 i would want a new front fascia and bigger wheels and that steps up the price right there to make it more worth it to get the 135.

i dunno, just my two cents. i wanted to throw that out there as someone who was gunning for the 128.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

I agree... I got the 135 because I felt for the increase in price you just got a lot more and wldn't be left with that "I shld hve got the 135 feeling"

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep

i also forgot to add in, i was fairly lucky in that i got to see black sapphire, alpine white, SGM, and sedona red. i liked SGM going in, from pictures online, but white is just the color for the car, shows the shape (which i love) so so well. i wanted to like black because it looks meaner but.. just misses too much
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
Jonnyfilmboy
Rep
Drives:

Very interesting. Thanks for the writeup! I went though similar feelings after I bought my WRX and then found out about the STi. But I've modded the heck out of it to the point where I now don't feel like I should have gotten the STi. But it took a bit of money and time to get here. If I get the 1 series, I'd rather get the car pre-pimped from the factory (ie. 135i), and then just make a few mods to make it my own.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #5
oneaabe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

yes, the price-to-performance ratio is so much in favor of the 135i that it doesn't make sense a lot of to get the 128i.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

That stretch of Spicewood really is perfect for test drives. As soon as you take that left onto the older narrow section and open the throttle a little they come alive. That dip at the beginning... the short straight.. the blind corners. ... the narrow sections over the little streams... I did the same test drive with that same 135i at the same speeds and I can see why your CA almost lost it

The 128i and 135i both put the same ridiculous grin on my face. I'll probably pick up the equivalent of the 135i when I buy my next car. For now I'll love the hell out of my 128i (which finally went into production last night! )

Edit:
One definite plus for the 128i that you touched briefly is the ability to actually step on the pedal for a bit without breaking the law quite as much. It'd be amazing to have a 135i on a track but on public roads it's beyond overkill (which is why it's so wonderful). When I took the 135i out I decided to hang a right on loop-360 and floor it. The next thing I knew I was doing 105 in a 55 - not smart (but the sound of the turbos spinning up after ever gear change was wonderful). With the 128i you can enjoy the full grunt of the engine for an extra second or two.

Since you (or anyone else for that matter) are in Austin . If you're looking for a CA for your next test drive that has a pair... talk to John D. He's been amazing. I can't say enough good things about the entire experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

128i is fast. 135i is faster. If you lease, some difference to get the 135i. If you buy and naturally intend to keep the car for a while, maybe watch out for the turbo reliability.

For a car with limited sales numbers planned, isn't it great that BMW offers not 1, not 2, but 4 choices?

I don't think you get go wrong with either one, and be sure to have 6sp, sports package, and if you get the 128i, xenon.
      04-16-2008, 03:16 AM   #8
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep

^ exactly, sport package and manual and you cannot go wrong. although i still dont get the big deal over xenons, or the supposed turbo unreliability. i feel that is more a result of the easily attainable performance increases, equal performance increases on an NA motor would result in equal (if not worse) detriments in mechanical part lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
Edit:
One definite plus for the 128i that you touched briefly is the ability to actually step on the pedal for a bit without breaking the law quite as much. It'd be amazing to have a 135i on a track but on public roads it's beyond overkill (which is why it's so wonderful). When I took the 135i out I decided to hang a right on loop-360 and floor it. The next thing I knew I was doing 105 in a 55 - not smart (but the sound of the turbos spinning up after ever gear change was wonderful). With the 128i you can enjoy the full grunt of the engine for an extra second or two.

Since you (or anyone else for that matter) are in Austin . If you're looking for a CA for your next test drive that has a pair... talk to John D. He's been amazing. I can't say enough good things about the entire experience.
spicewood really is great, talk about strategic dealership location for bmw. i was already planning on going down there but he even told me to "if i felt like having some fun" haha. although really i think city park rd is a bit better cause its got more tight turns (and less driveways). but yeah i did the same thing to open it up except on the 183 access road. it's difficult to perceive how quickly your speed changes with the 135. i wanna drive a manual one damnit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topvega View Post
I agree... I got the 135 because I felt for the increase in price you just got a lot more and wldn't be left with that "I shld hve got the 135 feeling"
well that's what i'm saying.. i could be 100% happy with the 128, not feeling like i was lacking anything performance-wise or leaving anything on teh table. but the 135 is just such a damn good deal.. its hard to resist, and if you prefer the looks of the 135 as much more as i do, dumb to resist. edit: although, really, its close enough that if fuel economy that owners are getting start coming back substantially better on the 128 (like high 20s combined average), it would be worth it to me
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #9
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Ah - the eternal debate...

I'm with you, I could afford a base 135i w/ sport package but it would be tight until my wife gets out of school. It's hard to say no to all the goodies they are giving the 135i but since I'm planning on keeping the next car I buy longer then my current car that supossed turbo unreliability is a concern. To me it's a matter of the 135i's engine has more parts and more parts means more things that have the potential to break. Sure it'll be fine for the warranty period but after that is my concern...

A solid 230 hp 0-60 in 5.9 rwd coupe is what I've been waiting for someone to build for a long long time. I always wanted an S2000, hardtop and room for the dogs and the 128 is about as close as I could get. It's hard not to get sidetracked by the 135i but at the end of the day I don't need it. And the $100 a month I can save on the payments for the 128i will look real nice in the savings account or make the 128 mine that much sooner - I also hate monthly payments.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #10
walsh416
Private
Rep
Drives:

I think I'm gonna take the money that you save from buying a 135 coupe and use it to get a 128 'vert.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Good read ...

Thanks,
Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0