BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
1toOne
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

New 2009 135i Owner

Hi all, I just picked up a 135i last Tuesday. Came in white and has the 18 inch wheels, but not M wheels, and Comfort Access CA. Really enjoyed the clutch / steering / motor feel compared to the 128i so decided to jump on it. Got it in the shop right now, getting ready to put it on Turo!

I had a couple of things wondering if anyone could chime in on.

1. The dealership PPI I got did not check the heater, charged me $200 for the PPI though. I found out today that the heater core is clogged and they want almost $3,000 to replace it! That is engine rebuild money. I think they are crazy and I am planning to dispute my PPI for being worthless. Anyone know if I can run a hose or compressed air through the core to see if the block clears? Looking at the internets a couple people seem to have fixed this with a thorough flush.

2. The driver's side door lock doesn't work via remote or CA. I hear the mechanism going though, and the manual door lock works just fine. Hope this is just an actuator.

3. Thinking of running an aux Bluetooth adapter. Anyone have good luck with those? Wondering if I can pair my phone to the in car Bluetooth for calls and adapter for audio.

4. The valve cover gasket is leaking, and the dealer wanted me to replace the gasket and the entire cover. Anyone doing this? I would hope it wouldn't warp as long as I take the bolts off in a staggered pattern.

5. Best value performance tires? Looking for under $100 a piece. Doesn't get very cold here for long so I think I can run summers all year.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1toOne View Post
1. The dealership PPI I got did not check the heater, charged me $200 for the PPI though. I found out today that the heater core is clogged and they want almost $3,000 to replace it! That is engine rebuild money. I think they are crazy and I am planning to dispute my PPI for being worthless. Anyone know if I can run a hose or compressed air through the core to see if the block clears? Looking at the internets a couple people seem to have fixed this with a thorough flush.
I'm afraid all you would get back is the $200, but it's something. At least you come out on top in principle. Sadly $3000 is about right because the entire dash would need to come out. More to the point, why is the heater core clogged? That doesn't sound good. If you've got a bunch of calcium buildup or other crap, you don't want to bust it loose and have it clog up the engine block (if it's not already). What condition is the coolant?

Quote:
2. The driver's side door lock doesn't work via remote or CA. I hear the mechanism going though, and the manual door lock works just fine. Hope this is just an actuator.
Probably a relatively easy DIY fix.

Quote:
4. The valve cover gasket is leaking, and the dealer wanted me to replace the gasket and the entire cover. Anyone doing this? I would hope it wouldn't warp as long as I take the bolts off in a staggered pattern.
Depends. The constant heat cycling will eventually make any plastic brittle. It's such a pain in the ass to remove the valve cover that it might make sense to replace it and get another 10 years out of it. The only downside is the price. If the part were under $100 (which it should be) it would be a no-brainer. It's not...

Quote:
5. Best value performance tires? Looking for under $100 a piece. Doesn't get very cold here for long so I think I can run summers all year.
You're looking at some pretty extensive repair bills so it's tempting to cheap out on tires. Don't. What's the point of having a fun car without the rubber to exploit it? I don't know any respectable tire you can get under $100. The cheapest respectable tire is probably the Firestone Indy Firehawk.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

I can't really advise on anything but the tires. I got Sumitomos on my Mercedes CLK 500 and they were great, at just under $100 each. On my 128i I got Goodyear Eagle GAs and am very happy with them. In Portland you want good rain tires, so either that I mentioned would work well.
      10-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Welcome to 1Addicts!
Post some pics of the new 135 when you can!

1) Sorry to hear, but heater core issues do arise from time to time with the 135, google will find several results because /everybody/ hit that that estimate want's some additional input on the price. If you're skilled you could tackle it yourself, but better plan either a really long weekend, or have a weeks vaca to use- you essentially take the dash down to the firewall, and back again. Carefully. Or, just cough up your favorite credit card...

2)If these are like The Wife's x1, the actuators are built into the lock assembly- pull the panel, disconnect linkages & wires, swap the latch for new, reassemble. 60 minutes going fast, or 2-3 hours going slow and cussing a lot. RealOEM.com for your part numbers.

3) BT works great for calls, can pair the phone via the CIC menu. You'll need an adapter for audio, but there are lots- many including myself have great experience with the Tune2Air WMA3000B.

4)VC & VCG- do both. If it's leaking it's 50/50 just gasket crush or actual cracked plastic VC. Just bite the bullet and do both.

5) inexpensive good tires- look up Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. Lots of love here for a great, inexpensive tire. Is Firestone in the US, but this tire elsewhere on the planet is branded as the Bridgestone Potenza RE003. These things are even loved on TireRack.
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
bobowar135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' Sedona Red 135i

Keep that wallet open mate! Parts and general upkeep isn't cheap but the driving experience is freaking awesome. Congratulations on your new purchase.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobowar135 View Post
Keep that wallet open mate! Parts and general upkeep isn't cheap but the driving experience is freaking awesome. Congratulations on your new purchase.
+1
I'm a new owner too, all the stuff I wanted to do to my car when I bought it got put on hold with several thousand dollars in suspension and engine repairs. But now that it's done and I'm close to finishing all the fun stuff, this car is worth every penny. Congrats and good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:27 AM   #7
bobowar135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' Sedona Red 135i

Once I pinpoint and fix this one last oil leak new suspension is on my shopping list. Then a new radiator, intercooler, charge pipes. I plan to rid my engine bay of plastic.
Appreciate 0