BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
StefanV
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI LBB DCT

Thumbs up [track] E82 135i N55 DCT vs F20 135i ZF 8 auto

Running the M2 at track turned out to be too much of psychological stress than pleasure due to the cost of the car and being all shiny and pretty .
So I'm strongly considering in getting a car just to trash at the track. I'll start with it almost stock, maybe just upgraded pads from day one, and build from there.
After factoring all the factors that I could think of I decided to go with an 135i. In my budget falls the E82 and also with a bit of a stretch an F20. The biggest difference being the gearbox: DCT vs ZF8 auto.
My question is: should I stick to the DCT or pay a bit extra to get the newer car but have the ZF8 auto? How bad is to run this auto box at the track vs a dual clutch? Or can you see the age of the DCT in E82?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

We've had both cars (well, a 235i here in the states). My wife didn't track the 235i, but hillclimbs and tracks the 135i (DCT). The ZF auto was fantastic for an automatic in the 235, but I prefer the DCT.

The one thing I will say is the stability control was far better in the 235 than the 135. The traction control was actually useful in wet conditions in the F chassis, but the 135 just cuts power completely when any slip is detected. Might make a difference if you plan on tracking the car in poor conditions.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:27 AM   #3
StefanV
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI LBB DCT

On sprinted driving do you feel that the ZF8 is showing what is made of, that it has no friction coupling but a hidraulic one?

I know that double clutches have evolved a lot. Do you feel that 135i DCT, being a bit old, is ages being the current dual clutch gearboxes?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
Mark Aubele
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanV View Post
On sprinted driving do you feel that the ZF8 is showing what is made of, that it has no friction coupling but a hidraulic one?

I know that double clutches have evolved a lot. Do you feel that 135i DCT, being a bit old, is ages being the current dual clutch gearboxes?
ZF8 was a great automatic, prefer the DCT.

I don't feel that the DCT feels aged, although the lack of real launch control (its hard to engage and holds rpm to high) and that it refuses to let you hold on to a gear are annoying.
Appreciate 0