BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #89
RastaGurl
Private
Rep
Drives:

So, after finally listening to everyone, and reading, and re-reading the fine print, it turns out that the dealer/SA is correct in saying that there is no surcharge for the use of convenience checks......FOR THEM! There is a surcharge of 1.75 - 3% of the amount of the convenience check (depending on the CC company), which is charged to the consumer. In addition, the use of convenience checks does not accrue points, miles, etc. Bummer. I guess I'll suck it up and pay the maximum allowed by the stealer on a CC. I don't think I'll argue the whole violation of the Visa agreement point, as they'll end up servicing the car, and I'd prefer to maintain the congenial relationship I currently have with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #90
BullishMB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillcutts View Post
understood. thanks. Everyone needs to watch that carefully, credit cards will give you credit limits, but if you use too much of it, it looks bad on your credit score. Luckily, my credit limit gives me plenty of room to do this without negatively impact my credit score.
$400,000 limit must be nice. As I believe the credit agencies look for 10% and under utilization.

Another aspect that negatively effects your score is a high overall balance on revolving credit. I think they look for $1000 and under.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #91
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I was hoping someone would make the dealer honor their contract. I couldn't get away with violating the terms of my contract with the dealer without incurring many excess fees and a hit to my credit score, so why can they get away with choosing to not stick to the terms of thier contract?
      05-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #92
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

[quote=ARES45;147335]I was hoping someone would make the dealer honor their contract. quote]

Please show me where in this thread a dealer did not honor their contract?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #93
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I'm planning on paying for my car with a VISA card which offers me 0% interest for 12 months on new purchases.

On another thread we got into a discussion that Dealers won't accept VISA to pay for the whole car because they get hit with transaction fees from VISA.

Has anyone had a dealer refuse to accept a VISA card to pay for the whole car ? (not just the deposit) They may not like it, but they have to accept VISA as payment if they accept VISA cards at all (and who doesn't?).

At 0% for 12 months, paying by credit card saves me about $1,700 versus a $40,000 loan at 4.25%. Seems like the smart cash-management thing to do.:wink:

I did call Visa and they confirmed that the car dealer CANNOT refuse to accept a Visa card to pay for a car, and the dealer CANNOT place a Maximum (or minimum) Transaction amount limit per the "Rules for VISA Merchants":
http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan..._merchants.pdf
Attached Images
Maybe you missed the first post. My english is rusty, does "CANNOT refuse to accept a Visa card to pay for a car" mean they can refuse to accept a Visa card to pay for a car?

By the way that was the first post. And according to Visa who wrote the Rules for Visa Merchants the dealer would have to accept Visa for all transactions. It would be like going to Best Buy and them not accepting cards for TVs. If they will accept a $1 charge they have to accept a $40,000 charge.
      05-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #94
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

"And according to Visa who wrote the Rules for Visa Merchants the dealer would have to accept Visa for all transactions."

That's not exaclty what VISA says (see the extended text of their rules above). They must accept a CC for goods priced normally and cannot adjust the price upward if the CC is offered. If the dealer is offering the product at less than MSRP, the rules appear to permit more leeway to the Merchant.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #95
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

True enough Jack, however for pwillcuts he would stand to make a better deal by purchasing at msrp and using a card than taking the 500 dollar discount. Either way, the dealer will make money on the deal, so I don't feel sorry for them in the least. It is simply the cost of doing business. Maybe if he got a substantial discount but 500 dollars was no real gift from the dealer. At any rate, that is the negotiated price so I feel the dealer should take the card at that price. Whether it was marked Cash or Finance on the buyers order.

*edit* Also, 'priced normally' doesn't necessarily mean msrp, if the average buyer pays less than msrp then wouldn't the normal price be below msrp? It goes on to say they can't adjust the price upward if the CC is offered. I don't necessarily think this means the dealer doesn't have to accept the card, I think it means they can't jack up the price.
      05-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #96
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

The only leeway they seem to have is that they are allowed to offer "cash discounts". So if you got the car for less then MSRP then they can simply claim that is the cash discount. I'm paying full MSRP for my car, so if they give me any crap over using my Visa for my $10K down payment then I'll make sure to bring up this point. At the very least I'm hoping I can use it to negotiate some free swag, like floor mats and an aluminum pedal kit.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #97
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
Maybe you missed the first post. My english is rusty, does "CANNOT refuse to accept a Visa card to pay for a car" mean they can refuse to accept a Visa card to pay for a car?

By the way that was the first post. And according to Visa who wrote the Rules for Visa Merchants the dealer would have to accept Visa for all transactions. It would be like going to Best Buy and them not accepting cards for TVs. If they will accept a $1 charge they have to accept a $40,000 charge.
I agree...if the contract you have with the dealer does not indeed state a cash deal....which the OP's does...

if you wrote out a contract for a CC deal they would have to take the CC...but they would not have to give a discount....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #98
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The only leeway they seem to have is that they are allowed to offer "cash discounts". So if you got the car for less then MSRP then they can simply claim that is the cash discount. I'm paying full MSRP for my car, so if they give me any crap over using my Visa for my $10K down payment then I'll make sure to bring up this point. At the very least I'm hoping I can use it to negotiate some free swag, like floor mats and an aluminum pedal kit.

Dan

you make a good point...but let me ask this...

is the dealer required to take as much as a down payment as the buyer likes?????
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #99
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

There is no option for CC, so what was the OP supposed to do? The dealer should have this as an option on their standard contract because it is a viable payment option do to their merchant agreement. Its absence creates room for the buyer to assume that a CC payment falls into the Cash catagory because it is not a car loan or dealer financing. I see this as the dealer trying to pull a fast one on uninformed consumers and therefore if an informed consumer stops by, the dealer can eat crow for all I care.
      05-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #100
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
To you it doesn't matter...but if the OP marked down this was a cash deal and tries to pay with a CC the dealer IMO has every right to tear up the contract.

Cash to me is interpeted as money, or bank check or wire transfer. You may argue a CC is cash. Maybe? Maybe not?

Thats what the courts are for. But to say the dealer has no leg to stand on w/o seeing the buyers contract is ludircous.
Cash, in legal speak, means that the dealer will not be supplying financing.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #101
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
Went to the dealer today to pick up the car, told the finance guy I wanted to put the down payment on my Visa, whipped out the merchant rules paper I took with me, he still said no.
I would call VISA and they will discontinue allowing the dealship to accpet the card at all.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #102
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
good point! My deal is $500 below MSRP, which I guess the dealer can now tell VISA is the "cash sale" special offer to me.

Then again, I'd be saving $1,700 in interest costs over the 12 months if the dealer will allow me to use my VISA (with my 0% interest offer for 12 months at VISA).

$500 versus $1,700..........hmmmm...

<gulp> I'd be better offer paying full boat MSRP wouldn't I ?:biggrin:
That would have to be explicitly written into the purchase contract with the definition of a "cash sale"

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #103
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Rightous Jewpac.
      05-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #104
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullishMB View Post
$400,000 limit must be nice. As I believe the credit agencies look for 10% and under utilization.

Another aspect that negatively effects your score is a high overall balance on revolving credit. I think they look for $1000 and under.
Thats not just credit extended by a CC company, that would include any personal lines of credit as well.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #105
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I agree...if the contract you have with the dealer does not indeed state a cash deal....which the OP's does...

if you wrote out a contract for a CC deal they would have to take the CC...but they would not have to give a discount....
Cash in legal speak is not the same as cash in leymans speak.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #106
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
Rightous Jewpac.
Ive been out of town, just catching up.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #107
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewpac View Post
I would call VISA and they will discontinue allowing the dealship to accpet the card at all.
In progress.
      05-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #108
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Cash, in legal speak, means that the dealer will not be supplying financing.
sorry...that is not universal....

a cash contract could be interpeted as meaning you bring cash and only cash....and at the dealer discretion they may accept a certified bank check or wire transfer....

like i posted earlier...each state is different and it's open to interpertation...

but you not going to screw the dealer using VISA on your side if you marked down a cash deal....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #109
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
sorry...that is not universal....

a cash contract could be interpeted as meaning you bring cash and only cash....and at the dealer discretion they may accept a certified bank check or wire transfer....

like i posted earlier...each state is different and it's open to interpertation...

but you not going to screw the dealer using VISA on your side if you marked down a cash deal....
No, that is not the case. In a legal contract cash, in absence of other upfront payment options, means that the dealer will be paid in full, meaning they will not be responsible for providing financing, at the time of delivery. If the dealer does not accept the card they is subject to legal action based on the signed contract.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #110
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
No, that is not the case. In a legal contract cash, in absence of other upfront payment options, means that the dealer will be paid in full, meaning they will not be responsible for providing financing, at the time of delivery. If the dealer does not accept the card they is subject to legal action based on the signed contract.

Again, that is the way you interpet it...other states and other courts may feel differently....

i say, and as others have already detailed here...the dealer can refuse the payment by CC...i say especially if you sign a contract for cash payment....

i have posted this before...I have seen many people write and ask about paying for a car totally with a credit card...and they include the threats to the dealer...

so far I have never seen one poster come back and say they were able to do it....where's all the legal action?
Appreciate 0