BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

wow.. really? squeeking?

Yes yes I know there's been a couple of threads on this, but this one is a bit different. I know a lot of you suffer from the same symptoms my car does. Madly, continuing ridiculous squeeking brakes.

First off, the reason I'm starting this thread is because I want to know how many have this issue, and which of you have gotten it fixed. I'd like to know what the solution is, because I'm a very technical person and have mechanical skills, yet I really don't feel like I should be wasting my time trying to fix such an issue on a 2009 135i.

My car has taken two trips down to two different dealers both to be sent back with the problem un-fixed. I feel that maybe I get some sort of resentment because I come into a dealer with a lowered car and I'm 21 years old. So maybe most SA will think I'm spoiled, or don't even know what I'm doing or something along those lines. For the most part I have to fight for even a claim to get written down on paper. Just two weeks ago I had to fight for a tailight replacement after the whole tail light completely failed. The SA actually gave trouble just to report the god damn claim. And my biggest issue thus far is that these brakes squeek even when I'm not braking, simply as the rotors rotate the friction causes a very constant and apparent squeek. At first I figured that the pads could use some lubrication, but I waited until after I got it back from both of its visits to the dealers. Problems was unsolved so I took the brakes apart and lubed them up, and it worked for around 10 miles and the noise came back. My only solution is to slap my stock suspension back on and take it to the dealer so they have no other excuse other than to fix it. I still don't find it fair that I have to fight for something this small as it is apparent that its the brakes causing the problem. Its kinda like the HPFP problem, they know its there, they just won't fix it until there's simply no other alternative.

*sigh*
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamm3k View Post
... I'd like to know what the solution is, because I'm a very technical person and have mechanical skills....
Brakes squeal because the pads are vibrating. Often lubrication with good high temp grease (like ceramic based) fixes the problem. The only permanent fix is to break in the pads properly when new so they don't vibrate. Here's a good explanation of what's happening and what to do...... http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Snowball
monokuro boo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i AW

i have the same thing going on with my car.. i read the article but i have a question. I was going to go to the dealership sometime before the end of this month to have them look at my brakes (again... 2nd time) and see what they can do, however the article says that you need to follow proper break-in procedures (like you said mleskovar)..

if the vibration has just started then you can do a couple of things but will this involve taking things apart?? if so, i am in trouble i actually have no experience with cars whatsoever except for interior work and switching out a stock mazda6 hood with a cf one on my ex's car so taking things apart and putting them back together is not something i'm gonna do on the first try (and def not by myself lol)

The article says its "inexpensive but inconvenient." I have no clue where to go to get help with this.

also.. i actually do live at the bottom of a steep hill... to better describe it.. its a series of steep hills.. so this is kinda tricky for me
      09-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Snowball View Post
... will this involve taking things apart?? ....
Yes, to do it properly you should remove pads and associated parts, clean, then lubricate in right places. Requires just a few tools (wrench/socket, pliers etc.) Many youtube videos on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Snowball View Post
...also.. i actually do live at the bottom of a steep hill... to better describe it.. its a series of steep hills.. so this is kinda tricky for me
Yes, find some flat roads would be better. Use hand brake (uses different set of shoes to hold car) when stopped during break in to prevent material transfer to discs. Do break in cycle a couple time to be sure.
Appreciate 0