BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2021, 11:13 PM   #1
GodZeeus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i MT

Rubbing Problems

Brand new to owning a BMW, so looking for some help. I have a 2009 BMW 135i and I recently purchased and installed wheels and tires. VMR v802 Front: 18x8.5 ET45 Rear: 18x9.5 ET45 and Continental extreme contact dws06 Front: 225/40/18 Rear: 255/35/18. If I'm looking at them it looks like they have plenty of space for they won't rub. But the issue is, when I go over a bump or a dip on the road, it seems to be rubbing in the rear. Also, if I go up a drive way I hear the front rubbing. Only way to avoid the rubbing all around is if I go pretty slow. Any solutions or problems any of you have had? Had stock wheels and tires before never had an issue. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:58 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

The front seems like it should work, 45 offset with a 225 tire does sound like it should have plenty of room. For the rear the 45 offset and 255 tire could be rubbing on the fender, it might be just a little too far out. That's about all I've got, hope it's a start. Others have more experience with the various #'s as far as what works or not.

Do you have a million miles on the car? If the struts are shot you'll get more compression in the suspension when you hit a bump and might be bottoming out. Working struts (if yours are shot) would help this and other general driving as well of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
StevieJ2
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

My car has a similar wheel 19x8.5 +45 235/35 and they rub a little as well. New struts fixed almost all of it, but I did order a set of 19x8 +47 for the fronts just to resolve the issue completely. Should give it an extra 8mm of clearance on the outside with the new setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:45 PM   #4
GodZeeus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
The front seems like it should work, 45 offset with a 225 tire does sound like it should have plenty of room. For the rear the 45 offset and 255 tire could be rubbing on the fender, it might be just a little too far out. That's about all I've got, hope it's a start. Others have more experience with the various #'s as far as what works or not.

Do you have a million miles on the car? If the struts are shot you'll get more compression in the suspension when you hit a bump and might be bottoming out. Working struts (if yours are shot) would help this and other general driving as well of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post

Haha million mile, no I have about 50,500 miles give or take. I got a couple friends that told me that it might be suspension but just wanted to see if it can be something else. Do you think rolling the rear fender would help?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:49 PM   #5
GodZeeus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieJ2 View Post
My car has a similar wheel 19x8.5 +45 235/35 and they rub a little as well. New struts fixed almost all of it, but I did order a set of 19x8 +47 for the fronts just to resolve the issue completely. Should give it an extra 8mm of clearance on the outside with the new setup.
@StevieJ2 What brand and how much did you spend on the struts?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 10:26 PM   #6
StevieJ2
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodZeeus View Post
@StevieJ2 What brand and how much did you spend on the struts?
bilstein b4's which are the same specs as stock. The old ones were just worn out. I paid $450 for this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/153289703343

You can find the stuff cheaper, but it was easier just to buy it all in one order instead of 10.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #7
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Don't see as many aftermarket wheel threads here as back a decade ago. Tons of us put one setups similar to yours. Most all rubbed similarly to you, especially with certain brands of tires. Camber is the fix. You can add front camber by "pulling the pin". An alignment shop can change the stock setup to add probably more rear camber than you'll want.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
GodZeeus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
Don't see as many aftermarket wheel threads here as back a decade ago. Tons of us put one setups similar to yours. Most all rubbed similarly to you, especially with certain brands of tires. Camber is the fix. You can add front camber by "pulling the pin". An alignment shop can change the stock setup to add probably more rear camber than you'll want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I hate the look of camber, what would be the least amount that I would have to do to stop all the rubbing?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 12:03 PM   #9
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodZeeus View Post
I hate the look of camber, what would be the least amount that I would have to do to stop all the rubbing?
you can start small - remove the tabs on the front top mounts that locate the strut top. You can get about an extra -0.5 to -0.6 of camber putting you around -1 at the front. If that doesn't work you can look at something like a Dinan fixed camber plate which will get you close to -2 (you'll have a range, from about -1.5 to -2.0 approximately).
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:01 AM   #10
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
You won't be able to so easily see the amount of factory camber you'll be able to add. If rubbing in the front, I'd pull my pins myself. Then I'd take it to the alignment shop and get them to match how much camber you now have up front to the rear. Will probably be around 1 to 1.5deg. If you still rub just in the rear and don't want more camber, a tire brand change will probably fix it. Some 255 tires just are not as wide and are more rounded that others. Other options are dropping some weight in the rear or changing to different rear brake hubs. I did that mod, gained around 7-8 mms. Haven't rubbed since.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0