BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-28-2022, 05:45 PM   #1
deeejh
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i

2009 BMW 128i -- First time purchasing rims, I have a few questions/concerns.

Hello!

I live in the Chicago suburbs and was hoping to get some advice for my specific make and model (2009 128i) and if the "sports package" changes anything when it comes to purchasing/installing the right rims.With this, I'm in need of a solid recommendation to both purchase/install the rims and add new tires.

This is my first time doing this and with this car being my first, she's really special to me. I've worked incredibly hard to maintain her and fully intend on keeping her to my grave. She absolutely needs new rims largely for safety purposes--the current stock ones are cracked. So, with the funds being present, it's time to get her nice rims.

This process comes with several concerns like:

1) Selecting the right rims for my make and model so that all the electronics still work as they did with the stock rims. Same with being able to drive and handle the car.

2) What would a realistic cost look like for labor for both installing the rims and tires?

3) The car is considered to be the "sports package" for the 2009 128i model. I'm not sure if that changes anything when it comes to shopping for the right rims/tires, but if it does, what should I specifically look for or say?

4) Is there anything else that I need to know about doing this? I have enough to spend $5-6k if needed. However, seeing how some of the more expensive sets go for around $1k, I'm hard pressed to see the final bill being past $7k, maybe?

5) Are there any known websites that can help capture what the car would look like with a certain set of rims? The car's color is black with cherry red seats so I'm thinking of going either all black or black body + black rims with red breaks or black body + deep red rims.

Lastly and also separate from the current topic, I was hoping to get recommendations for painting the car. That and any advice. The car is black but has a ton of scratches and Knicks all of the place that have accumulated over the past 5 years.

This is what she currently looks like.

(Minus the nice color of the rims, minus the clean paint without any scratches.)

This is my first post here so I really appreciate any time anyone makes to helping me begin this fun hobby. Not that anyone cares, but finally being debt free and making a good income has allowed me to take on this long awaited hobby and while I want to jump right in, I also don't want to mess up the car or get ripped off.

So to those who take the time to answer my questions/concerns, you rock! Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 07:35 PM   #2
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
From the wheels, it looks like you may have an M-sport? Regardless, non-sport, sport, or M-sport makes no difference when you choose new wheels. The E82 (1-series) requires a very specific wheel offset so buy from someone who knows that much, at least. TireRack.com has had a website that shows their wheels on specific cars and colors. You can give it a try. I personally recommend either used BMW wheels, or contacting Apex Wheels, a sponsor on this site. They make a great wheel and offer assistance that will make sure you get the correct fit for what you want to accomplish. Welcome, and good luck. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 09:52 AM   #3
deeejh
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i

Awesome. Thank you for the response! Will post an update once I decide what to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 12:22 AM   #4
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

I went through this years ago. Might be worth a look at realoem.com for BMW wheels. Try different 3ers, E46 and newer. Start with your wheels to get width and offset. Then search for different BMW models with similar sizes/offsets, and you can do a search by the BMW style number to see what they look like on cars. You won't get the different car colors, but you might have an idea after looking at TireRack.com to compare different wheel colors on your car color.

Older wheels might not be available any longer. I wanted to buy a 5th for a spare last year, only to find they are NLA. Can't find them on ebay or other BMW recycling facilities. So, whatever you buy, make sure you buy a spare, just in case!!
E9x M3 front & rear suspension arms; BMW Performance brakes upgraded to drilled rotors in rear; BMW performance shifter; BMW Performance Exhaust; Wave Trac LSD with modified 'nannies'; BMW Euro Intake box; BMW Aluminum Strut Tower bar; ECS front and rear sway bars; 3 stage intake with BPC software; BMW style 78, 17 x 8" wheels with Bridgestone RE 980AS 225/45-17 tires; Koni Special Active struts/shocks, E9x M3 RTABs.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 11:16 AM   #5
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Really,really recommend joining BMWCCA which includes your local chapter:https://windycitybmw.org/
Go to club meetings and talk with many other BMW owners, some of whom will have a car like yours.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 06:12 PM   #6
Bougnoul34
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 128I M Sport

Garage List
My M Sport has different size width rims front and rear, regular 128i have the same all around, Also some have 16" wheels, correct?
Appreciate 0