Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Be patient, they will pop up.

Thanks for all the complements guys! I couldn't be happier with my decision!
And that's exactly what it is all about
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #24
Rob@StrasseWheels
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G80 M3 Comp

Nice pics, car looks great!

@Strasse_Robert | (786)701-3649 | Robert@StrasseWheels.com | www.StrasseWheels.com
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #25
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

Congrats Icrain.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #26
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEM View Post
Congrats Icrain.
Just for clarification sake its a lowercase L, not an I. Have this name on a number of forums and I don't think anyone has gotten it right haha!

Thanks everyone for the complements.

Selling my previous car tonight to carmax (they offered me 1k less than what I wanted, but it is pretty hassle free so I am satisfied). Then tomorrow off to register the M in my name and pay taxes....
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #27
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just for clarification sake its a lowercase L, not an I. Have this name on a number of forums and I don't think anyone has gotten it right haha!

Selling my previous car tonight to carmax (they offered me 1k less than what I wanted, but it is pretty hassle free so I am satisfied). Then tomorrow off to register the M in my name and pay taxes....
what type of car ? mileage year? make and price?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #28
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
what type of car ? mileage year? make and price?
Its a 2006 VW GLI 6spd with 63k on it. So the 1m is quite the step up. In comparison it is a dull car, but I had a tune on it so it was fairly fun (nice surprise for next owner). It had zero problems, very reliable, and I will miss it. Got me hooked onto German quality. I wanted 10k, carmax offered 9k. I posted it over on vwvortex and got zero interest I guess because it wasn't on bags and bentley wheels. Would make a great daily, but I just can't afford insurance on both. Surprisingly for me the insurance was substantially less for the 1M than the VW.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #29
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its a 2006 VW GLI 6spd with 63k on it. So the 1m is quite the step up. In comparison it is a dull car, but I had a tune on it so it was fairly fun (nice surprise for next owner). It had zero problems, very reliable, and I will miss it. Got me hooked onto German quality. I wanted 10k, carmax offered 9k. I posted it over on vwvortex and got zero interest I guess because it wasn't on bags and bentley wheels. Would make a great daily, but I just can't afford insurance on both. Surprisingly for me the insurance was substantially less for the 1M than the VW.
what color is it? can u send me pm with pics. my brother will be interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #30
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Beautiful car awesome pics, I think black is the most unseen 1M color (so much variety to start with lol) it does really look badass!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #31
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Detail View Post
Beautiful car awesome pics, I think black is the most unseen 1M color (so much variety to start with lol) it does really look badass!
I love the color. The downtown shots were taken at sunset, and the color had a beautiful grey come through. I loved it!

I really didn't want another black car as they are so damn hard to keep clean. I am having it professionally detailed and ordered a ton of detail stuff. Hopefully the clearbra and detail work will keep the paint in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #32
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Unfortunately the front plate mount is drilled. Oh well, nothing I can do about it really.
Actually, I can't believe how good that plate bracket looks. I'm now convinced that is the way to go (vs using the tow hook or going no plate at all).

PS - congrats, welcome to the darkside
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #33
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain
Quote:
Congrats Icrain.

I knew it was an L. Congratulations! Sorry to see texone let his go but glad that the car stays local and glad that you were able to find one after initially waiting too long.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #34
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
I love the color. The downtown shots were taken at sunset, and the color had a beautiful grey come through. I loved it!

I really didn't want another black car as they are so damn hard to keep clean. I am having it professionally detailed and ordered a ton of detail stuff. Hopefully the clearbra and detail work will keep the paint in good shape.
Your lucky the car is metallic, if it was BMW jet black you'd be able to keep it swirl free for maybe 7 minutes.

Enjoy it and good job on getting it properly detailed and filmed before you start to use it. This is how all new cars should start life!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #35
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Detail View Post
Your lucky the car is metallic, if it was BMW jet black you'd be able to keep it swirl free for maybe 7 minutes.

Enjoy it and good job on getting it properly detailed and filmed before you start to use it. This is how all new cars should start life!
Thats what I hear about the metallic paint. I only wish I could have done the clearbra/detail sooner. I would have still had my old car to drive around too. Oh well, the detailer has a pretty full schedule so I had to work around him. Will be without the 1m for a few days, luckily I just started working in an office 2 blocks from my place....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #36
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
If my memory serves me correctly, they sponsored the former Pete Porsche Boxster Board and got a good reputation.

Some people consider $25 + shipping cost rather steep for small pieces of painted plastic. However it is neatly done (correct color match), which is normally for pros. Quality pays.

Attachment 650266Attachment 650265
I did this on one of my cars years ago.

I found those inserts at a local hardware store. Got some factory paint and did it myself. It's good to have touch up paint anyway as you will need it in time.
BIG suggestion, if you want the job to last longer than a 4 season year, use a primer that will allow car paint to stick to plastic tab, sold at hardware and paint stores. After painting apply a couple coats of clear as the front gets sanded with grit. Mine started to peel after a year as the paint didn't stick as well as I thought, but I didn't use any primer and didn't apply any clear coat. Those two steps make it a higher quality.

$25 may seem like a lot, but if it's done properly with primer and clear coats, then it's not bad as you'll probably spend half that just to get the plugs, primer, paint, and clear. It's much more cost effective for someone who does a lot of those and can spread the cost over a larger number of pieces.

It looks MUCH better with the painted plugs than those black holes.
Appreciate 0