BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #23
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

This afternoon, I left the car on for a couple minutes after stopping the ignition to change the clock.

Got a new battery signal, said critically low battery graphic in red this time, started it and revved it in the office parking lot.

Went into work and was a little worried about starting it up tonight leaving work - it started and ran fine, but at this point just going to get a new battery installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #24
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
This afternoon, I left the car on for a couple minutes after stopping the ignition to change the clock.

Got a new battery signal, said critically low battery graphic in red this time, started it and revved it in the office parking lot.

Went into work and was a little worried about starting it up tonight leaving work - it started and ran fine, but at this point just going to get a new battery installed.
How old is the battery and did you have it tested?

But, yeah....screw it and just get a new one going into winter!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #25
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post

Not sure, problem went away completely the last two weeks, so I just never thought anything of it after the first message.

I can find out, but being in a parking lot and hoping for a start is not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #26
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Not sure, problem went away completely the last two weeks, so I just never thought anything of it after the first message.

I can find out, but being in a parking lot and hoping for a start is not worth it.
still no warning light for me, but I bought a trickle charger over at Costco few days ago on sale $30, and use it over night, next morning the green indicator on the charger indicating fully charge.
I bought it just in case because the tech did say my battery is at 35% capacity. So lets see how it'll turn out, this is the original battery and I have about 50k miles on the car. This is the longest kept auto battery I have so far, most of my other vehicles not so much, will update how this will hold up.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #27
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It might just be at that point of no return?

If you live in an area with harsh cold winters, I would replace it. If not, keep charging it and see?

But, if you get stranded somewhere, the frustration and time spent will surely not be worth the price of a new battery!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #28
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
Quote:

still no warning light for me, but I bought a trickle charger over at Costco few days ago on sale $30, and use it over night, next morning the green indicator on the charger indicating fully charge.
I bought it just in case because the tech did say my battery is at 35% capacity. So lets see how it'll turn out, this is the original battery and I have about 50k miles on the car. This is the longest kept auto battery I have so far, most of my other vehicles not so much, will update how this will hold up.
Keep us posted! Are you in a cold weather area for Winter....or like Florida?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #29
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
florida
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 01:47 AM   #30
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Lightbulb

Not sure if you use them but those ELM327 OBD2 scanner tools you use with Torque Pro will kill your battery if you leave the adapter plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #31
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
Quote:
florida
I guess I would try charging every night for a week with regular drives. If that doesn't work after what you already have done....get a new one and move on.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #32
Grantgkg
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

If you want to get a BMW battery, you will not be able to fine the exact part number as what the car came with because BMW in North America changed battery suppliers from Exide to Deka. Deka rates the CCA lower than the original battery says. All that matters is that the AH (amp hour) rating and construction of battery are the same. So you want to get an AGM 70ah battery from a BMW parts department. Then make sure to register the battery change so that the car does not overcharge the new battery and wears it out faster.

I still have the original Varta battery in my car but I charge it once every two weeks at work on a Deutronic DBL 1600 which is a very expensive battery charger used for programming BMW vehicles. I have not had the battery discharge check control message since I have started doing this.
Appreciate 0