BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Maurzog
Rear Admiral ☆☆☆
Libya
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Stripper, 540iM-Sport

M3 Coilovers, ride height?

So have any of you guys used aftermarket coilovers intended for the M3 specifically KW CS? I am wondering what the minimum height would be, are the springs the same length?

I know the spring rates are pretty high 514/800 but wondering about height issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurzog View Post
So have any of you guys used aftermarket coilovers intended for the M3 specifically KW CS? I am wondering what the minimum height would be, are the springs the same length?

I know the spring rates are pretty high 514/800 but wondering about height issues.
KW CS for the E9x M3 will not work on your 135i if that is what you drive. However, it will work fine on the 1M. The spring rates are a bit high for street use, but fine for a track machine.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Maurzog
Rear Admiral ☆☆☆
Libya
Rep

Hey thanks for response! Ok so what if all the m3 arms and bits as well are being put on the 135i? There should not be an issue correct, e9x lower rear camber arm should allow the shocks to fit.

What about the ride height? Also is there any precedent of switching to linear springs such as Swift.

Sorry 1M guys for posting about the vanilla here but the original question was one I knew you could answer.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Hey thanks for response! Ok so what if all the m3 arms and bits as well are being put on the 135i? There should not be an issue correct, e9x lower rear camber arm should allow the shocks to fit.

What about the ride height? Also is there any precedent to switching to linear springs such as Swift.

Sorry 1M guys for posting about the vanilla here but the original question was one I knew you could answer.
You can do that for the rear and the M3 KW CS will work in the rear, but for the front you will need the complete spindle, hub and brakes.

You are better off finding a KW CS for 135/335i or buy a new high quality kit.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Maurzog
Rear Admiral ☆☆☆
Libya
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
You can do that for the rear and the M3 KW CS will work in the rear, but for the front you will need the complete spindle, hub and brakes.

You are better off finding a KW CS for 135/335i or buy a new high quality kit.
Good info on the fronts, so what is the E8x/E9x M3 suspension conversion kit that you sell and link to in this thread? I already bought the CS, knew I jumped the gun a bit just was not sure how far.

Last edited by Maurzog; 11-05-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good info on the fronts, so what is the E8x/E9x M3 suspension conversion kit that you sell and link to in this thread? I already bought the CS, knew I jumped the gun a bit just was not sure how far.
Subframe bushings, front and rear control arms and the like.
Appreciate 0