BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

1m Wheel Carrier / Knuckle on non-M

I'm investigating if I can install a 1M wheel carrier/knuckle on my 135i in order to run the 1M coilover set from Ohlins. Has anyone tried installing a 1M wheel carrier on a non-1M? If so, what unexpected issues did you run into?

I expect the following problems
- Stoptech BBK for 135i will likely require new rotor hat and bracket from the caliper housing to the wheel carrier
- Wheel offsets will be off for the front, may need a new set of wheels

Things that make me think this will work:
- I've already upgraded my suspension links to 1m variants with no issues.
- Bolt pattern common between cars
- to accomodate a wider track width, I already have the ER widebody kit
- 1m front quarters are a bolt on for any e82, so I suspect the top of the strut towers are in the same location.

Also, I realize the easier option is to ask Ohlins to sell me e82 non-M coils for the front and 1m damper/springs in the rear, but it's so close to a 1M that at this point, why not make the full conversion (minus steering rack, not worth it).

Thanks 1addicts!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Only thing I can really think of is brake lines will probably need a little finagling, but if you already went with aftermarket brakes then you're ready.

Very curious if anyone has actually done this.
      03-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

I saw somewhere here in for sale section guy selling 135i with all M3 struts brakes and stuff like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post
I'm investigating if I can install a 1M wheel carrier/knuckle on my 135i in order to run the 1M coilover set from Ohlins. Has anyone tried installing a 1M wheel carrier on a non-1M? If so, what unexpected issues did you run into?

I expect the following problems
- Stoptech BBK for 135i will likely require new rotor hat and bracket from the caliper housing to the wheel carrier
- Wheel offsets will be off for the front, may need a new set of wheels

Things that make me think this will work:
- I've already upgraded my suspension links to 1m variants with no issues.
- Bolt pattern common between cars
- to accomodate a wider track width, I already have the ER widebody kit
- 1m front quarters are a bolt on for any e82, so I suspect the top of the strut towers are in the same location.

Also, I realize the easier option is to ask Ohlins to sell me e82 non-M coils for the front and 1m damper/springs in the rear, but it's so close to a 1M that at this point, why not make the full conversion (minus steering rack, not worth it).

Thanks 1addicts!
There is nothing wrong with the 135/335i Ohlins front strut. The money you saved can go towards different springs for even better handling.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
There is nothing wrong with the 135/335i Ohlins front strut. The money you saved can go towards different springs for even better handling.
It was the principal of the matter!

But I did talk to Ohlins and they confirmed what you told me. To mix the sets they sell replacement struts for the E82 non-M, but do not yet offer the M E82 replacement struts. Springs would also need to be sourced separately as that's not in their program.

The ironic thing is the springs of the mixed set or the M set are what drew me in.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post
It was the principal of the matter!

But I did talk to Ohlins and they confirmed what you told me. To mix the sets they sell replacement struts for the E82 non-M, but do not yet offer the M E82 replacement struts. Springs would also need to be sourced separately as that's not in their program.

The ironic thing is the springs of the mixed set or the M set are what drew me in.
Which rates are you after? We have all sorts of springs here? Ohlins or Swift.

1M/M3 front and rear springs, no problem.
135/335 front and rear springs, no problem either!
Appreciate 0