BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #1
durpflip
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: a superior vehicle

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
DIY double DIN - radio harness not color coded properly?

disclaimer - this is my absolute first time doing a radio install - not my first time messing with wires, however. here goes...

i've been trying to get power hooked up to a chinese android double DIN unit i bought and i need to manually hook the wires into a harness adapter. trouble is - none of the wires on the quadlock harness are color-coded in any way i've ever seen before. many guides say there is a yellow/black/red wire to hook all three power wires in like you're supposed to, but i don't have any yellow/black/red wires at all. tried to hook up the wires in the slot numbers the power wires are supposed to be in, but the unit doesn't start. i don't have a multimeter to tell me which is the permanent 12V and i'm totally out of ideas. does the OEM radio get its power from elsewhere...? do any of the wires have power or are they all speaker wires? do i have to hook all three wires into the fusebox?

here's an image of the wires themselves... i'll get a few more in a little while.

View post on imgur.com

thanks all in advance

EDIT - got it running. thanks all!

Last edited by durpflip; 07-25-2019 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
robbiesan
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hi,

I was considering changing my unit for one android unit as well. From what I understand there are several ANDROID versions and there is a specific one for your head unit version e.g. CCC or CIC, etc etc etc.

Maybe you can check which one do you have in your car installed and which one did you order?

More pics will be also of help

Cheers
Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
durpflip
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: a superior vehicle

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiesan View Post
Hi,

I was considering changing my unit for one android unit as well. From what I understand there are several ANDROID versions and there is a specific one for your head unit version e.g. CCC or CIC, etc etc etc.

Maybe you can check which one do you have in your car installed and which one did you order?

More pics will be also of help

Cheers
Rob
thanks rob - i got it running however. i'll edit the thread accordingly.

my biggest hurdle was that my car had a fibreoptic connection to the amp (hifi pkg). somehow found that the avin MOST adapter for e90s with logic7 is needed to convert it to L/R audio. got an audio tech to get power to the unit in the end and he tapped into the fusebox for either a switched or a constant (edit: it was a constant). he also wired a remote turn on wire for the amp as well.

Last edited by durpflip; 10-02-2019 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0