BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Hey guys.

Bit of a precursor; I know how to do the basic to moderate detailing jobs but where my knowledge ends is mainly in products and how they work specifically. I also didn't get a ton of sleep last night, so bear with me haha.

I have a clear bra, the 3M style. I'm not sure of the specific brand as I purchased the car with it already installed. In May I did the first clay/polish/seal on this car since purchasing it last fall (got stored for the winter). I use Klasse AIO to seal in the paint as I've had great results with my last BMW. When I did my polish/seal I did the entire car minus the clear bra, because, well it's a clear bra. Earlier this week I thought, hey couldn't hurt, so I washed the car and applied Klasse AIO to the clear bra.

I washed the car today and have noticed two things since:

1. The rest of the paint does not bead water in the same manner as the clear bra and a couple touch up spots where sealant was added this past week. While it does bead water better than just an exposed clear coat of paint, water will still sit and pool opposed to beading and rolling.

1A. My question is essentially, do I need to reseal the paint? One of the reasons I like AIO is due to it lasting up to 6 months. And it's barely been two haha.

1B. If I do need to reseal, what may have caused this so I can avoid it? I've only hand washed once since, the other times it's been just a wand wash since it was just dusty. I make sure to keep the spray on the same plane as the paint with a gentle angle and a ways back to keep the water pressure off the paint while still getting coverage. My logic is, no physical contact = zero chance of paint marring. Then hand wash every now and then to try and maintain the polish job a little longer.

2. There's some interesting holograms in the clear bra, presumably from when I sealed it as I didn't bother with a clay, since clear bra.

So, can clear bras be polished? I've done some searching and I'm inclined to say yes but to what extent, RPM, pad, etc? I would think a low RPM, like 1500, and a mild cutting or just a finishing pad. Say white or black pad.

Using a portier cable random orbital polisher.

Appreciate 1
      07-05-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Many things can lead to lack of water beading.... first, the product may have simply worn away and you need to reapply a new coat. second, there may be something on the paint that has lowered the surface tension of the sealant and therefore killed the beading.

Water beading/sheeting is simply a result of high surface tension. Many products (like some shampoos, solvents, etc) contain surfactants which ultimately lower the surface tension and therefore effect the hydrophobic properties. If you happened to use a high concentration of shampoo, that is the most common cause of early life lack of beading.

If you live in an environment with a lot of pollen/dust this time of year like I do, a buildup will accumulate on the car and that will negatively effect beading/sheeting, however it should come back somewhat after a wash or two.

Keep in mind, lack of beading/sheeting doesn't necessarily prove that your sealant has failed or is completely gone, it just proves that the surface tension may have been altered. The easiest way to restore beading is to simply add another layer of sealant, or simply use a quick detailer with hydrophobic properties after each wash.

Meguiar's D156 is a spray detailer that contains synthetic polymers which enhance slickness, gloss, and water beading. It is effortless to use, and very cost effective.

If you want absolutely crazy water beading, Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer gives some amazing results in the hydrophobic department This product is not slick feeling, but it is easy to use and really excels with impressive beads.

As for the clear bra, it can certainly polished. You should also decontaminate it (clay bar) and protect it (sealant) as if it were painted. These products can be treated just like clear coat, however they are generally quite soft and do not require nearly as aggressive of an approach when correcting.

Clear bra with weird holograms/buffer trails from the dealership.

Removed with M205 on a white pad using the PC7424XP.

Hope that helps!

Let me know if you've got any more questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Many things can lead to lack of water beading.... first, the product may have simply worn away and you need to reapply a new coat. second, there may be something on the paint that has lowered the surface tension of the sealant and therefore killed the beading.

Water beading/sheeting is simply a result of high surface tension. Many products (like some shampoos, solvents, etc) contain surfactants which ultimately lower the surface tension and therefore effect the hydrophobic properties. If you happened to use a high concentration of shampoo, that is the most common cause of early life lack of beading.

If you live in an environment with a lot of pollen/dust this time of year like I do, a buildup will accumulate on the car and that will negatively effect beading/sheeting, however it should come back somewhat after a wash or two.

Keep in mind, lack of beading/sheeting doesn't necessarily prove that your sealant has failed or is completely gone, it just proves that the surface tension may have been altered. The easiest way to restore beading is to simply add another layer of sealant, or simply use a quick detailer with hydrophobic properties after each wash.

Meguiar's D156 is a spray detailer that contains synthetic polymers which enhance slickness, gloss, and water beading. It is effortless to use, and very cost effective.

If you want absolutely crazy water beading, Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer gives some amazing results in the hydrophobic department This product is not slick feeling, but it is easy to use and really excels with impressive beads.

As for the clear bra, it can certainly polished. You should also decontaminate it (clay bar) and protect it (sealant) as if it were painted. These products can be treated just like clear coat, however they are generally quite soft and do not require nearly as aggressive of an approach when correcting.

Clear bra with weird holograms/buffer trails from the dealership.

Removed with M205 on a white pad using the PC7424XP.

Hope that helps!

Let me know if you've got any more questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
A bit late but thank you so much!

Got around to polishing the clear bra today and the results are amazing! Can barely tell there is a bra now, small holograms and the like came out with a mild polish and wax.

Thanks again!!

Appreciate 1