Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnorbitz View Post
The car has 335hp, not 340hp.
BMW UK website says otherwise!

There may be some mathematical "lost in translation" somewhere BHP as opposed to HP?

US figures are 335.

340PS = 335BHP
I guess it's somewhat important to know what you are talking about before you start calling someone a fucktard! LoL
      06-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #112
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst View Post
2 thoughts:

Can you imagine what BMW will do with a M2 style vehicle, built from the ground up? If they can pump out something this good that is tweaked 1 series, I can't wait to see what they do for the next generation!

Is anyone slightly concerned by how *insanely* tail happy this car is? I know that's the fun, but damn, I've never seen a car go through the follow through that sideways....

Also, if the Stig can't keep a handle on it, I am really worried about the folks out there that think they can thrash this thing with DTC off and end up wrapped around a tree.
This is the first production car that has stuck an LSD on the N54/55. Something anyone running an aftermarket LSD already knows is how absolutely controllable the car is in a slide.

Torque + balance + LSD =

I could only imagine how good it must be mated to a M diff.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #113
Hisam135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

not going to lie i kinnnddaaa want a 1M
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #114
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

That E63 had a good lap time.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #115
cawest19
Livin' the M life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Seeing this makes me more confident that the next gen m3 is going to be something spectacular
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #116
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

It will be spectacular, and probably another 200 lbs heavier like each generation gets. Not dissing the M3, just looking at history.
      06-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #117
Dennis911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46 320td

For god´s sake, do NOT compare the 1M to the M3 CSL!

The 1M, although it is a pretty potent everyday racer is nowhere near the CSL. Neither in Hardcore-ness, nor in Speed.

The TG laptime has no scientific value whatsoever because frankly, the CSL did its time on a wet lap with rather low temperatures on Michelin Cup tires which have barely any traction in such conditions.

While I do not approve of the 1M being called a spare parts bin, because that´s way to derogative for what it is able to do, i do also oppose as calling it somewhat as iconic (for BMW) as the CSL.
And if you would please remember the TG review of the CSL. It was one of the most favorable reviews I have ever heard from JC saying he expected it to be "seriously good" but it exceeded those already high expectations by about 10 or 20%.

I, personally would take a CSL over a 1M anytime. The CF Roof, the Bucket seats, the exhaust note, that wonderfully focused interiour.
Overall just a MUCH MUCH more special car than the 1M. And that is already a very special car.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #118
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
I've heard of guys who, when younger and had the means, have bought a brand new BMW, maybe not the BMW they were absolutely lusting over. But a BMW that did everything they needed and put a smile on their face. It was a car that they were proud of. They took care of it. And it reciprocated. Then one day, life knocked on the door.
A girlfriend showed up. Then a fiance. Finally a wife. Money for modding the car had to go to a mortgage. And the icing on the cake was a coupe isn't the ideal place for a baby seat.
A wagon, SUV, or dare I say, minivan was needed.
And the BMW had to go.

But some how, they found their way back to BMW.Whether it be in a.....
3.0 CS....
Any M3.....
An E39 M5.....
Or maybe even after retirement- Z8.

After watching that clip, I have a very strange feeling.

My girlfriend may become my fiance. Then my wife. The modding stops and home improvements begin. My child's first word may be "hoffmeister kink". My E92 will be traded in for something more practical. And after everything gets settled, and I'll need my own daily driver and a way to find myself behind the wheel of a BMW again, this is the car I'll go looking for.
Hate to break it to you, but odds are...you'll be heading for a divorce in about 5 yrs...
So, put some money away for that BMW...for I can't wait for your stories of the 1M and your new girlfriend with the DDs
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #119
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
I still can't get over how everyone thinks that JC is such a god & that his opinion matters! Look at reviews from other motor journalists out there who know more. No doubt the 1M is great (I am a fan), but don't take JC's word for it, he's an entertainer, not a REAL motor journalist.

Top Gear is a entertainment show, not a motoring show.... girls even like it!

I didn't realize that being a 'real' journalist meant you had to be drab, drony and boring like the majority of the traiditional US Automotive press.

You will find that the far more interesting and increasingly relevant auto blogs such as Jalopnik & Autoblog feature writers who are heavily influenced by Clarkson and TopGear. (FYI, Jalopnik and AutoBlog also LOVED the 1M and they are even more *****rdly with their praise)

Like him or not, JC is one of the most influential personalities in the Automotive world.

Also, I'm willing to bet that he's a better driver than 90% of the people who think they are |33t because they beat his time at Laguna Seca on a PS3.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #120
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinta View Post
Everyone loves the CSL, it's an amazing car. It wasn't actually wet when the CSL went around the track and did a 1:28:00 it was damp and designated as wet because the Pilot Sport Cup tires don't work well in the damp or cold.

The fact is that this review proves beyond any doubt that the 1M is a modern day icon like the CSL was in 2004!

+1 this is how I feel too, BMW set out to make a 1M, they made a 1M CSL by accident

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #121
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

1M....too much car for the Stig!
      06-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #122
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I'm amazed the idiot gets cut so much slack by some people, the review was very inaccurate; 3 fails I picked up on, probably more:
The car has current M3 suspension, front and rear.
The M button changes nothing more than the throttle map.
The man is a fucktard.
@Schnorbitz:
Clarkson tested a UK 1M. Now have a look at this comparo on the official BMW UK website:
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/index/pop...gyQ1BN,00.html
So, you know it better than the manufacturer, don't you?

Freedom of speech, yes. Instead, for calling names and raining on people's parades over here, you got to have the right credentials. Read your post again and ask yourself: did you already drive as many cars as Clarkson did, and do you have a production team behind your back for producing a respectable automobile TV program broadcasting in many countries? What do you use the 1M for: professional driving?

True, you got a point where you suggest that Clarkson ain't the Pope of Cars and his views are no Holy Automotive Bible stuff. However, his Top Gear review of the 1M was consistent with the vast majority of 1M reviews known to date: BMW M has pulled it off again with the 1M - it was no faux pas (unlike what some predicted, or - even worse - hoped for, prior to its release). The 1M lives up to the M expactations. And that, Schnorbitz, is what IMHO counts in the book of the many enthusiasts on this forum, including myself. I trust that I'll be thoroughly enjoying it. If you are fairly happy with your vehicle, then I'm happy for you.

Last edited by Artemis; 06-27-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #123
Wolf
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: on hold

Wow! great review really! pumped me up! when Jeremy Clarkson likes a car, its isn't an entertaining review, its a real review. anyways they used the same soundtrack of the beginning of the clip on the Mercs' SL AMG Black Edition clip
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #124
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

fyi...high def version of last night episode is now available on finalgear.com.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #125
woojae2001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 1M, E93 M3, E46 323i

Garage List
Quote:
I'm amazed the idiot gets cut so much slack by some people, the review was very inaccurate; 3 fails I picked up on, probably more:

The car has current M3 suspension, front and rear.

The M button changes nothing more than the throttle map.

The man is a fucktard.
There are just SO many reasons why YOU'RE the fucktard - your fucktard-ness exponentiated by the fact that you have a 1M and you're calling someone who praises your car a fucktard, mind you JC's job is to be entertaining. If we saw you on Top Gear, I'm sure at least I would sue the company for wasting people's time. Also UK goes by different standards - fucktard. (oh, multiply "Fucktard" by the number of times you've been wrong about a car due to a minor detail or technicality, and that's how massively fucktard-ish you are.)

edit: I'm also thinkin' Schnorbitz only posted "1M" under his "drives:" list 'cause he wishes he has one and doesn't know what do to about his juvenile envy seeing how immature his reaction was to TG's review...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #126
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipit View Post
Nope.

I would even take a second hand CSL instead of a brand new 1M.

Nice car, but not the same league. It is still a parts bin car.
I think we'd all get a CSL because it truly is something special but people STILL won't give the 1M credit will they? A "parts bin car"? Forget the performance and whatever the 1M does so well, at the end of the day it's just a "parts bin car". This is like saying, no matter how well the next M3/M2 performs, at the end of the day, it doesn't have a N/A engine so it doesn't matter...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #127
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
+1 this is how I feel too, BMW set out to make a 1M, they made a 1M CSL by accident
... what
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #128
woojae2001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 1M, E93 M3, E46 323i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
I think we'd all get a CSL because it truly is something special but people STILL won't give the 1M credit will they? A "parts bin car"? Forget the performance and whatever the 1M does so well, at the end of the day it's just a "parts bin car". This is like saying, no matter how well the next M3/M2 performs, at the end of the day, it doesn't have a N/A engine so it doesn't matter...

also - you know what - in that case, I think i'd get a veyron 'cause it's better....the CSL is around three times (3x for the retarded - 120,000 dollars for Schnorbitz - can't wait for the response where i'm corrected down to tax cents) and hence renders the two cars incomparable. If people are talking about the CSL and the 1M in a comparable manner, then shouldn't it be obvious that it's a RIDICULOUSLY well-made, well-priced, rare and collectible car that does what BMW promised?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #129
E92M356789
El Jefe
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: e30 325i

beautifully made!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #130
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Omg the slew of new members in this thread is just really funny.

Solid review tho. I figured it would be this after Clarkson gave the 135 5 stars and called it something like the best car that BMW currently makes in his times review back in 08.

And if any of you people knock my 302s again I'll be coming for you.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #131
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

great top gear review
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #132
dunny
BMW/Mopar Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

It was a great overall episode of Top Gear, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. I knew they'd like the 1M because, as BrokenVert mentioned, Clarkson really loved the original 135i and Hammond had kind things to say about it in his column. It was a treat to see it power sliding on the TG test track, and it gave me an idea of what my 135i could do there (yeah, its a much different car but I'd think it would be within 3 seconds of that time).
'20 X3M / '09 135i M-Sport / '91 318i
Appreciate 0