BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
suspension help for noob...

Hi guys doing some research seems the m3 bushings is a good first upgrade to suspension. Also reading that the front control arm kit is pretty good too. My goal is to get rid of that "wiggle" when going over bumps on highway and to be able to handle turns better/faster with less sway. I also understand there is some alignment work that needs to be done with this upgrades.. but don't have one clue about that stuff. I read up basics here but seems like you'll DESTROY tires? If anyone has this setup any recommendations in the alignment area, that's in between the performance and uber tire wear they are happy with? (P.S the car will not be track so don't need anything hardcore.. ) Would there need to be anything else to order to complete these three upgrades; bushings, control arm kit, and alignment?

My other option is to start with kw1's for the same goal listed above.

Why would I pick one over the other options to do first? I understand both would be ideal but I am not rich and cant do all at once

Any advice and/or information would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

You'll just need a stock spec algiment, so you don't chew through tires. All those are great upgrades. While your doing this stuff it be best for you to buy coilovers or koni yellows and springs, the stock shocks are shit. The subframe bushing will cure the rear end wiggles.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1
You'll just need a stock spec algiment, so you don't chew through tires. All those are great upgrades. While your doing this stuff it be best for you to buy coilovers or koni yellows and springs, the stock shocks are shit. The subframe bushing will cure the rear end wiggles.
Reducing toe on the front will reduce wear alot. Running 0 toe will virtually eliminate inside wear as well as increase responsiveness in the car.

Beware though, the car will want to dart back and forth and tramline if this is done.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Depending on how many miles are on your car, subframe bushings are not my suggested first modification. In all honesty that would be my last (and has been my last) M3 modification I had done to my 335; this is, of course, if you have a relatively low mileage car. When you begin to get up into the 50-60k range replacing the subframes isn't a bad idea, but with labor cost and what not it isn't the 'best' option. The BIGGEST difference I saw when upgrading the M3 components was the front control arms. The turn in and steering response was a lot crisper and accurate.

I believe the 'wiggle' you refer to is the car rolling over bumps and holes. If you want to somewhat eliminate this feeling you will need to upgrade your actual suspension, i.e. struts and springs. You can either go with a lower kit (such as Swift) and Koni shock or you can go fully adjustable coilover kit. If you are just looking for height adjustment then I would suggest the above. Doesn't sound like you want to slam your car.

Hope this helped a little but there are SO many different combinations of modifications you can do. In my opinion I would upgrade the front control arms and upgrade your struts/springs.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
boarderofsnow86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

That "wiggle" is probably from alignment being a bit toe neutral IMO. The toe in is what keeps the car planted center at speed.

I just installed these mods and did an auto cross so I'll give my impressions.

M3 front lower control arms
M3 rear control arms.
Removed front alignment pins and pushed in as far as they can go.
Alignment looks like this (ish, I'm on my phone)
Front - 1.4 camber -. 10 toe and stock caster
Rear - 1.8 camber -. 15 toe

Mostly stockish alignment as I wanted to see how the parts felt.

The turn in does improve with the front arms and the added camber. This was my big complaint as I would push the front end. These do help the car hold better in corner.

I only noticed a slight improvement to the rear but I also didn't do any bushings so I wasn't expecting much in terms of sway. However, out of the corner into power, and somewhat in corner, the car feels a bit more in control at the limit. Probably due to the arms not flexing as much as the stock ones.

If I did it over I would probably just do bushings with the rear arms since I'm down there anyway.

I'm planning on a bit more suspension work but not until next year/season.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Thanks everyone for the information. I think I will start with the control arm kit and to kw1!
Appreciate 0