BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #23
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Hugo, you are an enigma! But I do agree. When I tell strangers that my favorite car maker is BMW I am positive they think its because of the badge.
Something we need to keep in mind is that BMW is a volume, luxury brand. They aren't Ferrari or Porsche. There's going to be a BMW in a garage in any given suburb.

There are some great BMW owners around (car guys that just happen to own and enjoy BMWs) and a lot of them hang around the BMWCCA.

There are a lot of BMW owners that are SNOBS. They drive BMWs because of the preceived status, not because they are good cars. I don't want folks to think I'm one of those.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #24
yankees25
Rep
Drives:

Depending on budget, I would also suggest checking out the A3. If 2 doors is not a problem, then it should be the 1 series for sure. However, if you are going to be shuttling prospective clients around, it may not be too practical to have them wiggle into the backseat of the 1. The GTI is still a little boy racerish, whereas the A3 seems a bit more refined IMHO.

Who knows - maybe even a Mini Clubman might be an option for you. A Mini with a suicide door on the passenger side - so a 2.5 door.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #25
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobin~ View Post
If the 128 was for people "not wanting a sporty car" they would put in a smaller 4-cyl rated at say 150-180hp.:wink:
Have you seen some of the girls that are driving around 3 Series? Those are people that have no sporting pretensions yet bought the BMW. More power = higher price. Additionally, there is nothing to say that only sporty cars can have a lot of power. :wink:
      09-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #26
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
the 128i is a hugely desirable car in its own right. To be honest, it might be better-balanced than the 135i as a daily driver, depending on how brittle the ride is on the turbo car.

That's real wisdom.

The better brakes still need to be available in the 128i. Top notch brakes are always a requirement.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #27
JohnnyBighead
Rep
Drives:

i like the a3, one of my friends has one and its pretty cool. If i go audi i think im leaning more towards the a5 but i will keep the a3 in mind. I do a little driving clients around but not all that much. They all drive ranges and a8s and stuff like that so usually they want to drive. As far as the minis go, its a good suggestions but its not my thing. I also have friends with minis and i just dont dig them, i think its because i dont like the emblem/feeling you get when you see i/its not big enough of a status car. Just kidding, just kidding, just kidding. They are cool but just not for me.

I struggle with thinking that bigger is better all the time. Like i automatically thought that the 135 was the best choice for me because it was the biggest thing out there. But what 1ster said about the 128 possibly being a better DD is good to hear. I have to remember that the biggest and best available may not always be the best thing for me ad my situation. That really is good wisdom.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #28
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Have you seen some of the girls that are driving around 3 Series? Those are people that have no sporting pretensions yet bought the BMW. More power = higher price. Additionally, there is nothing to say that only sporty cars can have a lot of power. :wink:
Oh of course there are people that buy it for the image, but that doesn't mean that BMW simply makes the 3 series to sell as an image product, if that was the case then it wouldn't consistently be the car winning comparisions, reviews, and being chased by other manufactures wanting to dethrone it.

Hell, Ferrarri is more of an "image" car then BMW, but I wouldn't say that the 390 is for posers while the 430 is for the "enthusiasts". Both are good sports cars, but unfortunately, both are bought and played to mostly be status symbols due to price.

Like I said before, I'm after the what the car is, and not just "Ohhhh it's a BMW..."

If BMW were to make the 128 as lame as you seem to think it will be, then you can rest assured that I,myself(and probably many others) would be quite disappointed and take my business elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #29
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
If BMW were to make the 128 as lame as you seem to think it will be, then you can rest assured that I,myself(and probably many others) would be quite disappointed and take my business elsewhere.
When did I ever say that the 128i would be "lame?"

With the 135i aggressively going after the enthusiast, I see no reason why BMW would arm the 128i with more of the same. But, like I said before, we will have to wait to see what the specs are when it comes to brakes, suspension, etc.
      09-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #30
Disasterpiece
I Want 1
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Yupp, i know exactly what your talking about. My neihbor just bought a 328i coupe, in white. She knows absolutly NOTHING about cars and got it because its a cool new BMW.

I dont think people like that even deserve a BMW, or any nice sporty car. Hell if i ever get my hands on bimmer, im going to treat like a bimmer should be treated, like a beutiful piece of powerful machinery! Not just like any other car..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #31
Flugtechnik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBighead View Post
Also, I cross over a pretty steep section of road (a part of the eastern continental divide) and the scion struggles sometimes to make it over.
Continental divide? In Greenville? :iono: I work in G'ville and grew up here. Where is this divide? Roper Mtn? :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #32
JohnnyBighead
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flugtechnik View Post
Continental divide? In Greenville? :iono: I work in G'ville and grew up here. Where is this divide? Roper Mtn? :smile:

haha i hear you. I dont actually live in greenville, im up in travelers rest and i work in asheville. The part im talking about is the Saluda grade. You know, the green river gorge area, the part where the 17-wheelers go about 15 mph and you can smell brakes on the evening air.

Any takers on the Suzuki concept? http://www.autoblog.com/photos/suzuki-kizashi/
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #33
135i_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

Quote:

If the 128 was for people "not wanting a sporty car" they would put in a smaller 4-cyl rated at say 150-180hp.:wink:
Hah. Tell me, if you would, the last time BMW released a 4 cylinder car. (MINIs don't count)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #34
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_ View Post
Hah. Tell me, if you would, the last time BMW released a 4 cylinder car. (MINIs don't count)
i assume you mean in the US. 1998 iirc
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #35
135i_
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes I meant in the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #36
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Also, I cross over a pretty steep section of road (a part of the eastern continental divide) and the scion struggles sometimes to make it over.
one thing i don't think has been mentioned:

a turbo car loses much less power at higher altitudes than a naturally aspirated car. if you want pep when crossing the mountains, the 135i would be a much better choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #37
135i_
Private
United_States
Rep

Johnny from what you've been saying, I think you should absolutely get the 128.

The 128 is going to have plenty of get up and go for you. The 135i is for people who really want to drive the hell out of their cars. I'm going to have it at the track shortly after I get it.

For someone who isn't looking for track time or really interested in performance driving I don't see why they wouldn't get a 128. It's a much better daily driver and less expensive.

I mean on the road, if you're pushing the limits of the 135i you're more likely than not being very reckless. Seriously a lot of people get these cars and then never really take them to their limit so what's the point? Why not save the money and get the less powerful but more utilitarian alternative when you're going to be doing the exact same things?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #38
JohnnyBighead
Rep
Drives:

hey thanks for that point 135i, i think you are probably right. I would love to get some track time with my future car but im just at point in my life that it really isnt sensible. And by that im not saying that its not sensible for others but for me its really not possible.

On the other hand i dont want to be that guy that buys a bmw just to have a bmw. I think for me it just makes sense because i want a high preforming car that is fun to drive and looks nice and i think the 1ers will do it.

But thanks for all this response, its been awesome so far!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #39
135i_
Private
United_States
Rep

You're welcome Johnny.

Obviously you're not one of those guys that just buys a BMW... otherwise you wouldn't be here!

BMW has a great community (I can't speak for other brands, I've only ever been in the BMW community,) and you'll find 95% of the people helpful and friendly. Driving can really be an incredibly enjoyable experience. If you're interested in it maybe when you have time I'd check out your local BMW CCA chapter. Also, being in Greenville you're pretty close to the Spartanburg plant, which is a very cool place to visit especially since you're looking into BMW. I got to tour the plant with a CCA chapter right when they were producing the first M coupes and it was awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:02 PM   #40
JohnnyBighead
Rep
Drives:

yeah where i live is super close to that bmw plant. its a cool place and i have a lot of friends that work there, including a few higher ups. Im excited about potentially being a bmw owner. I have a scion xb and its a pretty cool community but it gets a little ricey.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 02:30 AM   #41
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

If your thinking of the A5, think again. The 335i beat the S5, think how much the 135i will beat the A5.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 07:18 AM   #42
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
yeah i get passed by an orange gti everyday on the way to work. They are pretty sweet little cars with pretty nice gas mileage. as far as the 128, whats the difference between that and the 135? Is the 128 a big step down?

Thanks for the info on the g35, what kind of gas mileage do you tend to get? also, what model do you have?

Anytime, gas mileage depends on how bad traffic is. I take highways to work so as long as I don't hit crazy traffic I get around 22 mpg. If I switch cars with the fiancee and she does mostly city then I get around 18-19mpg. I have an 05 coupe automatic. It has been the best car I have ever had and would highly recommend it. I just am not in love with the new body style on the redesigned G37s.

Lips
      09-14-2007, 08:24 AM   #43
JohnnyBighead
Rep
Drives:

5 days a week all my travel is highway, almost 100%. Then the other 2 days is almost all city. Most of the time now we take my wifes Commander on the weekends but she just got it and really loves to drive it.

I am driving about 400 or so miles a week to work so i need something that does okay on the highway. So im anxious to see those mpg numbers. I need a DD that will take care of me so i hope that turns out to be a 1.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #44
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I can assure you a 128 will get better mpg then a G35 or G37. In fact the 135 might even do better as well.

Lips