BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #10957
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Me: You're gonna have to twist my arm...

You: *Breathes lightly*

Me: OKAY FINE. I'll do it, don't hurt me any more!

How are those (suspension components that shall remain nameless to create suspense in the forums)? My dad put some (above suspension components, from another brand) on his GTI, and it does (applicable things) beautifully. I'm jelly, so I've been lightly shopping...

I'm not, however, jelly that he has a slipping clutch at 24k miles (Mk7's have WEAK clutches) with stock power. Why, maybe a little (he's getting a Stage 2 with a lightened flywheel)...

Edit: Ninja edit to preserve secrecy...
Lol! I'll post up soon enough about the aforementioned suspension bits. They are doing their thing wonderfully, I just have to do a think and they'll be at 100% optimal-ness.

I'm fearing I may need a clutch soonish as well, though it's hard to tell with these self-adjusting units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Aw I wish I were around your guys' area so I could join in the on the fun.
Come visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Oh I'm having all sorts of fun,
tightening 500 nuts.

We aren't completely sure why they are coming loose, time will lead to an answer.
But I know that I'm one of the few on snow tires with bolts. Softer tire/tread block may play a factor.
I didn't tighten them too much. Enough to deform tread. How do you apply a TQ value, exposed length, tread deformation value to something that squishes unevenly.
I have absolutely beat the shit out of them. This last event was out 4th. Each is about 5 hours with me doing about 2+ hours of lapping, each lap being around a minute. So that maths to about 480 laps, but I'd say I've done close to 400? Working out the numbers isn't something I think about, but now that I do; damn I like to have too much fun.
Did you use threadlock? Because I'd probably use threadlock. Tightening those bastards looks like a nightmare.
      Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #10958
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Did you use threadlock? Because I'd probably use threadlock. Tightening those bastards looks like a nightmare.

Nope. Nyloc nuts. No one else has had too much trouble I know of, but all are on junk summer tires, old race tires, etc. I'm the odd man out with my soft winter tires with good tread still (things have like 8/32nds left).

Really not too bad to tighten. Once a guy gets in a rhythm it's about an hours time.
      Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #10959
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Quote:
Nope. Nyloc nuts. No one else has had too much trouble I know of, but all are on junk summer tires, old race tires, etc. I'm the odd man out with my soft winter tires with good tread still (things have like 8/32nds left).

Really not too bad to tighten. Once a guy gets in a rhythm it's about an hours time.
Think I'd get a cordless driver, and extended socket. Tighten a couple by hand, test corresponding clutch setting on driver, firm it up one or two clicks, then go to town.
Also, threadlocker.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #10960
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Think I'd get a cordless driver, and extended socket. Tighten a couple by hand, test corresponding clutch setting on driver, firm it up one or two clicks, then go to town.
Also, threadlocker.

I have a couple impacts. But it only works if the bolts doesn't spin ... they spin. I think I neglected them for too long and this is my punishment.
      Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #10961
Gangplank
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sprt DCT - S

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Also, threadlocker.

I have a couple impacts. But it only works if the bolts doesn't spin ... they spin. I think I neglected them for too long and this is my punishment.
You need a ratcheting wrench
      Today, 08:49 AM   #10962
low135
Captain
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Bought used E92 M3 hood struts. those should be perfect for my carbon hood
Appreciate 0