BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #1
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 325iT

Hey everyone, I just recently joined, but I have been looking for a 128i for a few months now. I have put off getting a newer BMW for several years, as I just didn't think I would like the added bulk and complexity over the E30s and E36s I'm used to. I have an E46 wagon, but it's a total project and I need a new daily driver.

As with so many people, I would really like a manual coupe with xenons and sport seats. Apart from that, I don't have a ton of preferences. Based on what I have read, I would forgo sport seats, but xenons seem to be too much of a pain to swap on these cars.

I am tentatively open to buying an auto car as well, but it would have to be pretty ideal otherwise in order to justify doing the auto to manual swap. I will also have to read more into that, as I've only helped in that process on E30s and E36s - never done it solo.

I am located in Columbia, SC, but am willing to travel just about anywhere. Preferably within driving distance, but I would fly for the right car. Hoping to learn more and get input from the community. The E82 seems like the ideal car for me, as I am not interested in the power of the N5x cars, just want to drive and rev out an N/A straight six.

Could also be ok with an E90, as they seem to be similar in weight, but it all depends. Opinions are welcome on the subject. Thanks everyone!
      12-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

I don't know if it's COVID related or people finally see the value in these cars, but it's getting really hard to find 1-series anymore. I saw only one on Auto Trader that I would buy, which is very similar to mine. It's also $1000 more than I paid for mine 4 years ago. If I ever get the money to buy an e30 M3, I'd consider selling my 128i, but otherwise I'll be holding on to it as long as possible.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I bought my 2013 128i M-sport 6M here on this list just a few months ago. Now that they've busted $16k on BAT for stripped cars with no sport or M-sport, I can't say if the prices will remain where they are or climb using these anomalies as a benchmark.

I did not want to accept anything without at least Sport Package, leather, power seats, Sunroof, Xenons, and iPod/USB capability. When I found the M-sport it was just icing on the cake and what it offers above the Sport Package is well worth looking longer and harder, or paying a bit more. The look from front, rear, or side on my Alpine White car is well worth it and I have my wife's Alpine White '08 Sport to compare it to every day in the driveway.

Have you considered what would be a comfortable mileage on a car in your price range? It's the absurdly low-mileage models that break the bank. I bought mine with mileage in the normal-to-low range for a 7-to-8-year-old car. It turned 90k on the drive home. Our '08 had about the same mileage and other than a Bluetooth module failure, I've only had to replace the CHMSL (3rd brake light), the gooey trunk release handle, recharge the A/C, and recently the battery (new from BMW for $125). The 2013 was on the original battery and I nursed it along with weekly "low-voltage" warnings until replacing it with a new BMW battery as well.

Don't even think about buying an automatic and doing a transmission swap. Just keep looking for the right car to avoid hidden expenses, diminished resale value, and untold trouble ahead for you. Be patient! It will be worth it.

Appreciate 1
odiford43.00
      12-16-2020, 12:03 AM   #4
odiford
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT MSport

Chiming in to affirm BMWCCA1 's points (especially since we have twins!). I bought my MSport 128i back in October, and the hunt was quite intense. My must-have's were 6MT, sport/msport, non-iDrive, under or around 100k miles, and inside 6 hours driving distance of either NYC or Northern VA. All for a similar budget to yours. Since I was willing to waver on Xenons and be a bit loose on mileage, it took me about 3 months of searching, for your reference.

However, an important point is that you need to be ready to act, fast. I had two other cars slip through my grasp before this one landed. When the ad for my car went up I was on the phone with the seller that same morning, and went to see it that evening. Closed with a handshake on the spot, and returned the next day for pickup/payment.

So, the best advice I can offer is to decide exactly what you want (be that a specific car or a range of acceptable cars) and move without hesitation. If you think "Let me sleep on this before reaching out," you will probably miss it. Not that any of this should intimidate you of course! They go quick for a reason... they're killer cars! [Any Radiohead fans reading?] Best of luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
..Rush..973.50
      12-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #5
Fakemike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i N54 MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/ct...238369676.html

Saw this on my local CL. Probably not what you are looking for but thought I would put it out there.

And that color combo, I'm not sure if I love or hate it...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses! Some seriously beautiful pictures posted too. I really like the alpines with black trim.

As far as mileage goes, it mostly depends on price for me. I would like to get something around 100k miles. Less than that seems to be ultra rare and comes with a premium. Lower would be great, as I plan on keeping the car indefinitely, but I just haven't seen them. Most low mileage cars are autos or low option ones also.

I've checked out a few cars, passed on most, and missed one before fully considering it. Saw a car in Atlanta this weekend that was totally ruined. A local higher mileage car, 145k miles listed for 5500, sold very quickly, and I also looked into the rebuilt car on Craigslist that was featured in another WTB 128i thread. I probably should have gone for that one, but it was at the top of my budget, and I wasn't sure how I felt about the rebuilt title. In hindsight it wouldn't matter, and the car was a one owner before, 3.0 intake and tune, and low mileage interior.

I also updated the ad to reflect coupes as my interest. I guess I took that for granted, but there are so many verts to sift through haha.
      12-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #7
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakemike View Post

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/ct...238369676.html

Saw this on my local CL. Probably not what you are looking for but thought I would put it out there.

Thanks for sharing Mike. I should have clarified that I am looking for a coupe. I'm with you on the color combo also haha. The car I saw this weekend was Sedona Red Metallic, had an orange look to me and between the red tails and red interior it wasn't my ideal combo. It didn't really make a difference in the case of that vehicle though, as it had a whole host of other issues. It was really sad to see such a great car ruined by the previous owners.
      12-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #8
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Wow! WTF! The one I saw yesterday is already sold and another one has a pending sale. 1-series are selling like crazy!!!
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #9
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Wow! WTF! The one I saw yesterday is already sold and another one has a pending sale. 1-series are selling like crazy!!!
Yeah, they really are. I've found one in Florida that I'm putting a deposit on. They have it listed at 9k, so a little over 10k with dealers fees. It's a 2011 128i with just under 100k miles.

Dealership is a little weird...letting me a do a deposit, but they want 5 grand. They said they have two local cash buyers and keep getting calls.

Another concern is they won't allow an off-site pre-purchase inspection. They said someone could come there, but I'm not sure that's all that valuable. I would primarily want the car to be seen on a lift.

VIN is: WBAUP7C59BVM54330
      12-16-2020, 06:42 PM   #10
anthony76
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i sport-smushed WTB another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwal View Post
Yeah, they really are. I've found one in Florida that I'm putting a deposit on. They have it listed at 9k, so a little over 10k with dealers fees. It's a 2011 128i with just under 100k miles.

Dealership is a little weird...letting me a do a deposit, but they want 5 grand. They said they have two local cash buyers and keep getting calls.

Another concern is they won't allow an off-site pre-purchase inspection. They said someone could come there, but I'm not sure that's all that valuable. I would primarily want the car to be seen on a lift.

Hi Jwal... I have been following this car. It was originally Posted FS at a Toyota Dealer down in Orlando. It was Posted for about $6500 and when I called to get info, the dealer had said the car didn't pass their "Safety Inspection" so they couldn't sell it to me and that it would go to an auction. I Guess JC is who picked it up, because that's where I found it about a week later.

The only info I got out of them was that it had to do with tires and an exhaust manifold.

See attached photo of the car at the Toyota Dealer:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mgg...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by anthony76; 12-16-2020 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #11
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony76 View Post
Hi Jwal... I have been following this car. It was originally Posted FS at a Toyota Dealer down in Orlando. It was Posted for about $6500 and when I called to get info, the dealer had said the car didn't pass their "Safety Inspection" so they couldn't sell it to me and that it would go to an auction. I Guess JC is who picked it up, because that's where I found it about a week later.

The only info I got out of them was that it had to do with tires and an exhaust manifold.

Manual MSport slick top with Xenons for $6500??? I’d take it if it needed a new motor!
      12-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hey Anthony, thanks so much for posting! Yes, that's the original ad I saw as well. It's interesting that they told you about the tires and exhaust, and I didn't get that from the Toyota dealer. The guy mumbled something about the transmission, but I couldn't really think what that could be at only 100k miles.

Seemed to me like the Toyota place just priced it too low and didn't want to deal with it? I don't understand that, but as a new car dealer I'm sure they have bigger fish to fry than a 6,500 dollar car.

What's your take?
      12-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #13
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Quote:

Manual MSport slick top with Xenons for $6500??? I'd take it if it needed a new motor!
I said almost exactly that to the salesman at the Toyota dealer haha. Against their policy or something along those lines.
      12-16-2020, 07:30 PM   #14
anthony76
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i sport-smushed WTB another

Quote:
I said almost exactly that to the salesman at the Toyota dealer haha. Against their policy or something along those lines.
I am glad you're aware of it. I have a feeling there could be something else up with the car. I am in CT, had I been closer, or my relatives in Tampa could have gotten to check the car out sooner I would feel better about buying it. It's an M sport at sub 10k so I would just be cautious.

I am new to this platform so I am learning from a local 128i buddy and the forums as I go.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #15
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakemike View Post

Pretty sure I'd hate it, but then it is Florida!

Just find another one in Black with black interior and swap!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #16
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:

I doubt Penske got to be the largest dealer organization in the country by not having standards for their used cars. For instance our group (second largest) won't allow us to sell anything that has had an airbag deployment.

Did you at least get a Carfax on it?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #17
drivejojo
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible, 128i Coupe

I’ve been chasing that Florida coupe too. Got all the same lines at both the Toyota store and with JC. I even tried going the wholesale route and purchasing via a wholesaler from the Toyota store when they told me they couldn’t retail it since it didn’t pass safety.

There is definitely something shady at both stores. The car is a great build, but clearly a fishy situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 11:31 PM   #18
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

For $6500, it's worth the risk, especially for a slicktop. For $10k and sketchy history, I would walk away.

If you haven't already done it, sign up for Carvana and CarMax early notices and be prepared to pull the trigger as soon as you get an alert. I put a deposit down on my Bullitt Mustang before they had even posted pictures of it on CarMax.

Last edited by Thunderguts; 12-16-2020 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 05:54 AM   #19
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

I've had my 128i Sport since May 2019 and I sold my previous "fun" car in December of 2017 and started to look in earnest.

The 128i showed up as a trade in on a Lincoln SUV at a local Ford/ Lincoln dealer. One of my searches alerted me and I was first in line the next day.

Dealers quote was "What is with this car we never get calls like this!". Of course you never know if they are bullshitting.

I think that the word is getting out amongst the BMW fans that this is a great car at a very low price that gives you the last true BMW experience with a lot of hassle. NA, Power Steering, Manual, Simple, RWD, coupe....A true drivers car and BMW no longer makes those.

But do look for at least a Sport. Even just for the seats and the wheel.

I know I'm never selling mine and I couldn't wait to get rid of my 135 and had no attachment to it.

Even when I get my halo car the 1 series will stick around. Halo car is a post 2009 Cayman or 911.

My 128 thread is in my sig if you want to see what has been done to it so far.

Good luck with your search!!

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2020, 07:03 AM   #20
Mach3M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 128i

This thread is really interesting to me because the car i bought over thanksgiving was posted here for several months and no one jumped on it.

It's a slicktop, manual, xenon equipped car with a decent maintenance history so I am surprised it was around long enough for me to buy it. Drove it all the way from Miami back to Columbus, OH with zero issues.

I didnt care that it wasn't a sport/m-sport because i am going to do a bunch of modifications to it anyway. Spent way too much money during black friday/cyber monday sales on a header and some Bilstein Clubsports and next on my list is an LSD for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:10 AM   #21
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Quote:

I doubt Penske got to be the largest dealer organization in the country by not having standards for their used cars. For instance our group (second largest) won't allow us to sell anything that has had an airbag deployment.

Did you at least get a Carfax on it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejojo View Post
I've been chasing that Florida coupe too. Got all the same lines at both the Toyota store and with JC. I even tried going the wholesale route and purchasing via a wholesaler from the Toyota store when they told me they couldn't retail it since it didn't pass safety.

There is definitely something shady at both stores. The car is a great build, but clearly a fishy situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
For $6500, it's worth the risk, especially for a slicktop. For $10k and sketchy history, I would walk away.

If you haven't already done it, sign up for Carvana and CarMax early notices and be prepared to pull the trigger as soon as you get an alert. I put a deposit down on my Bullitt Mustang before they had even posted pictures of it on CarMax.
Quote:
Quote:
I am glad you're aware of it. I have a feeling there could be something else up with the car. I am in CT, had I been closer, or my relatives in Tampa could have gotten to check the car out sooner I would feel better about buying it. It's an M sport at sub 10k so I would just be cautious.

I am new to this platform so I am learning from a local 128i buddy and the forums as I go.
Hopefully this link works: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...Wv-yoNyiLzDYgU

The CARFAX report doesn't show any accidents or issues. 3 owners, and doesn't mention anything from the Toyota dealership.

I'm concerned about what COULD be wrong with the car, but I'm also confused as there is nothing in the history that is indicative of a problem.
      12-17-2020, 08:28 AM   #22
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Carfax isn't bullet proof reliable so take it with the "grain of salt". Unreported accidents fixed locally may not show up, or the opposite if an owner DIY's their oil changes and other maintenance then it could look neglected but be the opposite (i.e. my car).

Was 6500, now 10k, didn't pass an inspection somewhere, dealer is acting strange, won't allow an inspection.... As an outsider to this I'd say forget about it. At some point the amount of work and thought in this, you have an emotional investment into something that all signs say is a bad idea.
Appreciate 0