BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 320d

Rb pcv valve too much pressure?

Hi just want to ask i installed few months ago a new clutch. Hence i put the rb pcv valve and changed the rear crankshaft seal because we were there already. So after about 600miles i have a leak in in my rear cranshaft seal again. Replaced it again and put the bmw primer and sealant as recommended but i can still see a moist in my engine and transmission. That is just moving the car in the parkway. Im planning on changing my pcv valve again to stock and see if it will still leak. How long does ur pcv valve last
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
iDontRemember
Ding Dong!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I’ve been using the RB PCV valve without issue. Should be easy enough to take it off and give it a quick test to check functionality.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 09:14 PM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDontRemember View Post
I've been using the RB PCV valve without issue. Should be easy enough to take it off and give it a quick test to check functionality.
Where does that actually draw pressure from the case? Is it in addition to the flapper valve up top?
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy View Post
Hi just want to ask i installed few months ago a new clutch. Hence i put the rb pcv valve and changed the rear crankshaft seal because we were there already. So after about 600miles i have a leak in in my rear cranshaft seal again. Replaced it again and put the bmw primer and sealant as recommended but i can still see a moist in my engine and transmission. That is just moving the car in the parkway. Im planning on changing my pcv valve again to stock and see if it will still leak. How long does ur pcv valve last
Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly, it leaked after the second replacement without any driving?

If so, I would think it's not the PCV since that's off boost situation and crankcase should be seeing slight vacuum. If the PCV was bad, the crankcase would be getting either more vacuum or zero pressure at all, nothing that could push oil out the rear main seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Where does that actually draw pressure from the case? Is it in addition to the flapper valve up top?
Yep, the PCV is a second pathway in addition to the flapper. PCV pathway is through the valve cover into ports in the cylinder head that dump just before the intake valves.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #5
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy View Post
Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly, it leaked after the second replacement without any driving?

If so, I would think it's not the PCV since that's off boost situation and crankcase should be seeing slight vacuum. If the PCV was bad, the crankcase would be getting either more vacuum or zero pressure at all, nothing that could push oil out the rear main seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Yep, the PCV is a second pathway in addition to the flapper. PCV pathway is through the valve cover into ports in the cylinder head that dump just before the intake valves.
Might be a residue, but the shop test drove the car at wots. I replaced my rb pcv valve also after a slight moist or just a residue from the rear crankshaft
Seal used the car for 4 hours and i dont see any dripping anymore. I hope it ok already
Appreciate 0