BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Question About Headlights

Ok, so I myself and not a huge fan of the orange reflectors in the corners of the headlights. My question is, should the euro headlights be a direct swap for the US car? I know there's no real way to tell, since the car hasn't come out yet. I'm just new to BMWs and didn't know if anyone had done this with previous models.

While I know it is illegal to drive without orange reflectors in the headlights, I'd like to be able to swap in the clear corner headlights for pictures, car shows, etc.

Thanks for any input, just trying to keep the site going :thumbup:

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Yes, they should fit, but nobody can tell you for 100% sure, since the car isn't even released.

I know they are a direct swap on the 3 series though, albeit a very expensive swap. There are also people that bake and open the headlight assembly on the 3 series, and remove the orange reflector. The effect is not the same as with the Euro-clear version, since the EUro version has a clear reflector (as compared to no reflector at all), so you see the bulb.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Yes, they should fit, but nobody can tell you for 100% sure, since the car isn't even released.

I know they are a direct swap on the 3 series though, albeit a very expensive swap. There are also people that bake and open the headlight assembly on the 3 series, and remove the orange reflector. The effect is not the same as with the Euro-clear version, since the EUro version has a clear reflector (as compared to no reflector at all), so you see the bulb.
Ok cool thanks

Yah I really don't wanna bake open my headlights, I'd rather just get a new set. It's certainly not gonna be the first mod to the car, other things are way more important :headbang:

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
fishbulb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

remember - that headlights are often set for which side of the road you drive on. Switching left hand drive with right hand drive may not be the best thing!

-jac
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
Ok, so I myself and not a huge fan of the orange reflectors in the corners of the headlights. My question is, should the euro headlights be a direct swap for the US car? I know there's no real way to tell, since the car hasn't come out yet. I'm just new to BMWs and didn't know if anyone had done this with previous models.

While I know it is illegal to drive without orange reflectors in the headlights, I'd like to be able to swap in the clear corner headlights for pictures, car shows, etc.

Thanks for any input, just trying to keep the site going :thumbup:
Unfortunately, the headlights will not be a direct swap for the US car. Because the Europeans drive on the left hand side of the road, the cut-off on the headlights are positioned differently. The cutoff on the US versions look something like this:
_______________/------------------_______________/----------------

European cutoff looks like this:
-----------------\________________-----------------\_______________

Sorry if it doesn't look like much but that's the best I can come up with on this board. Hope it helps. The right side of the light is higher than the left on the US cutoff so that it can illuminate the signs on the road on the right side. For the Europeans, the left side is higher because all the road signs are on the left hand side. So if you swapped a US version for a Euro version, you'd be blinding alot of people in the oncoming traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #6
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

UK is left drive, while the rest of Europe drives on the right.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

Just plan on opening up both of the casings, and removing said reflectors. DONE!

-Mateo
      09-15-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
M135
Professional Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Germany is not left drive, only UK. No worries, but will probably be expensive.
Appreciate 0