BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
lambammm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i montego/coral

Royal Purple

Just finished a royal purple oil change today and the results are very impressive. the engine sounds noticeably smoother under idling and acceleration. the oil temps are on average 5-10 degrees cooler (F). filter was 17 something and oil was 8 bucks a quart. just wanted to post this because the engine sounds very different in a good way. happy holidays. p.s. i recommend a low profile jack, regular hydraulic ones don't fit under the one.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

hmmmm ive never liked some of the additives they put in the royal purple...some of my friends spun a bearing right after he changed from mobil1 to royal purple...THIS WAS THE ONLY CHANGE TO THE CAR...it was a high performace engine rebuilt mack daddy style and cant be an install error...im not totally saying its not possible that it was just a coincidence but we found it very strange that jsut switching to this oil made him spin a bearing...ive never used it and NEVER will...i stick to castrol syntech (which is what BMW uses)

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

My car runs better after I wash it. Clean the wheels up real good and it feels like it handles better too. JMHO
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
used to change oil in the x5 w/ royal purple, that shit is good! :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
corpsman
130 kmh, yeah right.
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Montego,6MT,

Are there any warranty issuesusing an oil which BMW does not reccommend?

Happy Holidays to all.
      12-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
lambammm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman View Post
Are there any warranty issuesusing an oil which BMW does not reccommend?

Happy Holidays to all.
bmw can't make you use a particular brand of oil. i think as long as it's a synthetic 5w-30 you're good.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #7
lambammm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi2bmw1 View Post
hmmmm ive never liked some of the additives they put in the royal purple...some of my friends spun a bearing right after he changed from mobil1 to royal purple...THIS WAS THE ONLY CHANGE TO THE CAR...it was a high performace engine rebuilt mack daddy style and cant be an install error...im not totally saying its not possible that it was just a coincidence but we found it very strange that jsut switching to this oil made him spin a bearing...ive never used it and NEVER will...i stick to castrol syntech (which is what BMW uses)
doubt royal purple had anything to do with it
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
will
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I used Royal Purple in my Eclipes and it was great. When I did another oil change and used Moble 1, I noticed the difference in sound for the worst. The car seemed to run smoother with Royal Purple. I went to BMW and asked about Castro and was told that most people use Moble 1, BMW just has a contract with Castro that is the reason why it is recommended.
P.S.

I did ask another auto tech and he told me Royal Purple should not be used for new cars. :iono:
6-Spd. Manual, Prem. Pkg. Sports Pkg.,
Cold Weather Pkg, Nav., Comfort Access,
PDC, Hi-Fi, iPod/USB adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

Ha ha, I've felt that too. Maybe it's just in my head lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
My car runs better after I wash it. Clean the wheels up real good and it feels like it handles better too. JMHO
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post

I did ask another auto tech and he told me Royal Purple should not be used for new cars. :iono:
This is because Royal Purple won't allow for proper "getting to know you" aspects of engine break-in. It lubricates too well for the needed amount of rub between the metal parts. As long as break-in has been completed, you'l be fine with Royal Purple.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #11
lambammm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
This is because Royal Purple won't allow for proper "getting to know you" aspects of engine break-in. It lubricates too well for the needed amount of rub between the metal parts. As long as break-in has been completed, you'l be fine with Royal Purple.
wow, i didn't know something could lubricate too well. anyways i changed to royal purple after 2400 mi so i should be fine. i definitely don't see it running hotter, and it sounds much much smoother. the only thing i was pissed about was 17 dollars for the stupid filter that doesn't even have a housing, just the filter element. what a ripppp offff.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
It lubricates too well for the needed amount of rub between the metal parts. As long as break-in has been completed, you'l be fine with Royal Purple.
I have a hard time believing that metal parts are supposed to "rub" together. That's the whole point of lubrication....the oil molecules prevent direct metal to metal contact.

But I keep hearing heresay about some special break-in oil additive from BMW?????

This is suggesting that the oil shipped with your engine from the factory is not the standard Castrol synthetic and that people who are changing their oil before the 1st scheduled interval are not allowing the engine to break-in properly.

I am very skeptical of this, but would love to see some definitive data from BMW directly. Otherwise....it's just second hand information.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep

well that doesnt even come into play for those of us that just used the dealer BMW syn castrol oil...same stuff from the factory...i know u jsut said they might use some additive that aids in breaking in the engine but ive never heard of a single company doing that...who knows...the whole 15k oil interval is NUTSO IMO..i might do every 5k at the most...and yes the royal purple has been linked to other cases of engine spinning bearings....its been on a number of other car forums...to me that stuff is trash and waste of money...if royal purple is so great why does F1 only use Mobil one...nascar? indy500? have u heard of any of the drivers wanting to use royal purple? just becuz horsepower TV gets paid to advertise their products as gaining horse power from changing all the fluids...that is the dumbest test ive ever seen...who knows how long all those fluids were in there before they swapped out to the royal purple....

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #14
will
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcafs View Post
But I keep hearing heresay about some special break-in oil additive from BMW?????

This is suggesting that the oil shipped with your engine from the factory is not the standard Castrol synthetic and that people who are changing their oil before the 1st scheduled interval are not allowing the engine to break-in properly.
I have not heard anything about a special break-in oil additive from BMW but the original oil BMW puts in the car is 0 W 30 oil.

When you oil level was low i went to talk to the tech here in Germany and he told me not to change the oil until the schedule time because of the original oil that is used.

While I am in Germany I have to pay for all oil changes and any other wear and tear on the car so i know they are not trying to get out of doing oil changes.

Also this was the same tech that told me that most people use Moble 1. BMW suggest Castrol because they have a contract with Castrol.
6-Spd. Manual, Prem. Pkg. Sports Pkg.,
Cold Weather Pkg, Nav., Comfort Access,
PDC, Hi-Fi, iPod/USB adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #15
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
I have not heard anything about a special break-in oil additive from BMW but the original oil BMW puts in the car is 0 W 30 oil.

When you oil level was low i went to talk to the tech here in Germany and he told me not to change the oil until the schedule time because of the original oil that is used.

While I am in Germany I have to pay for all oil changes and any other wear and tear on the car so i know they are not trying to get out of doing oil changes.

Also this was the same tech that told me that most people use Moble 1. BMW suggest Castrol because they have a contract with Castrol.
Thanks..... my oil filler cap has CASTROL embedded right into it so I guess we know what oil is recommended.

Although a tech may be trained in repair and overhaul - they are not the engineers who designed and spec'd our cars.

So what is it about that original factory oil that is so special that we shouldn't change it? 0W30 is just a viscocity rating.....

Here in Canada the dealer puts in 5W30. I believe the higher the number, the thicker the oil. So a 0W viscocity should flow a little better when the engine is cold and provide better lubrication qualities than a 5W designation.....

Maybe that's what they mean by not swapping the oil. It's not the additives, it's the viscocity that gives a better break in.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #16
natedog_1959
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 SVT Focus

F1, Nascar, etc. are paid by Mobil 1 to use their stuff. They aren't using off-the-shelf Mobil 1 that you can buy anyways. It is all marketing. At least with Royal Purple, if you want an even higher grade of racing oil, they offer it. I have been using RP in my high-strung 4-banger for 120k miles and the first time I used it I could definitely tell a difference. The valve tick was reduced and the engine accelerated a little smoother. Nate
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #17
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

Actually if you are familliar with subaru world, mobil 1 full synth 5w30 was determined to be the culprit for many a bearing failures, as well as a lotmre blowby.

I guess the conclusion was generally that a fair amount of the mobil 1 full synth seemed thinner than it should have been.

Dont beleive me? Go google =)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #18
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I plan to stick with BMW oil until the warranty is off. Then I might look at Elf or Redline, or I might use Castrol Syntech. I plan to change oil and filter every 5 - 6 thousand miles. The DIY kit including 7 quarts of BMW 5W 30 and a BMW filter including O-rings and a drain plug crush washer, is available from United or getbmwparts.com for about $60.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #19
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

ehh... if your are talking about just oil and filter and the little oring set (with washer)

I've purchased that for 50 at my bmw dealer...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #20
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyek View Post
ehh... if your are talking about just oil and filter and the little oring set (with washer)

I've purchased that for 50 at my bmw dealer...
Nice - it's over double that here in Vancouver - BMW in Canada doesn't believe in discounting parts, even if you buy a brand new car from them and pay full list price. They won't even give me a dealer's discount (25%) - so I order from on line US dealers who will. They want $12 per quart and $18 for the filter. Plus you have to pay Canadian taxes (15%). When I have it shipped to the US and come back across the Canadian border with car parts under $100 I get "have a nice day" almost every time.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #21
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep

my dealer just sent me a nice book full of free stuff..from now on i dont have to pay for my 3k oil changes is that nice of them or what? i hate other people working on my car..but i cant see how they could mess up the oil change on this car..lol the easiest ive ever done(also the quickest) back to the royal purple...use whatever you want...but I WILL NEVER USE ROYAL PURPLE...nuff said..

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 01:10 AM   #22
RitaClark
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 7S RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
used to change oil in the x5 w/ royal purple oil, that shit is good! :headbang:
Will it increase fuel efficiency & better wear protection?
Appreciate 0