BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

A Few Navigation/iDrive System Questions

I'm on the fence about the Technology Package for my upcoming 128i order. I've never used the navigation system on a 1 Series, but we have nav on my wife's 2012 3 Series and she had it on her 2009 3 Series. A few questions:

1) Both 3 Series used the small LCD screen between the gauges in the instrument panel to display some dynamic navigation info (upcoming turns, etc.). Is it fair to assume the LCD screen in the 1 Series doesn't do anything like that or is there some level of integration between the nav system and the instrument cluster screen on a 1?

2) What's the general consensus on the placement of the iDrive controller in the 1 Series? In pictures, it looks a bit far back and fairly close to the armrest. Is it awkward to use or does it work somehow?

3) How big is the HD screen on the newer 1 Series?

I'll drop by my dealer to check it out in person, but any advice on these questions is welcome.

Last edited by simianspeedster; 03-04-2013 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
wv128bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 space grey on red

Placement is great. It is for my arm length anyway. The screen and instrument cluster are not linked. As far as info on instrument cluster. You can have info from the cluster on the I drive screen.

The nav is not garmin. It has mis directed me a couple of times. Overall it works. I opted for it to keep cleaner look then the GPS added. Would love to have an iPad installed and use google maps. But this will do.

Live the phone and office part of the I drive the most. Can read emails and texts on screen. Must have.
      03-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

I'll chime in as well as I've been using the Audi MMI system for the past few years and so have a pretty good system to compare it to as well.

The idrive has come a LONG way since the one on the first 1 series models.

I think the placement of the idrive controller is better placed than say on the new 3 series, which puts it off to the right. On the 1 series, it's smack dab in the middle and perfect to rest your right arm on the armrest and have your hand use the controller.

The screen is also pretty big and the ability to do split screens is excellent. You're also able to voice command almost everything known to man, which impressed me compared to the Audi MMI system. So, you can switch radio stations easily by voice command, even change all the car's system features via voice such as the welcome home lighting, how many times the blinker goes on a soft touch, etc. Without the idrive, you'd have to do things like that in the instrument cluster via the stalks.

I had the dealer give me a tutorial of all the various fun features and voice commands you can use on it and I was quite impressed and think in some ways it's far superior to the Audi system, especially the ability to enter destinations in one fail swoop via voice whereas many systems you have to go city, confirm, street, confirm, number, confirm, then start the route guidance. With the new idrive nav system, you can easily just say the full address and it picks it up right away. Much more intuitive.

I don't think you have anything to worry about other than having to learn all the key phrases and such on the system.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

I have the 09 I drive....I love to hate it!
Italian hardware matched with Dutch software...what could possibly go wrong!
We are talking about people who missed Australia when they were going around discovering things...they found the Island of Tasmania....but forgot to find Australia.
Apparently the new one is better.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Good info -- thanks for the feedback, all.

I didn't expect that the main screen and instrument panel screen would be linked because the 1's instrument screen is fairly minimalistic. In my wife's car, the two screens sometimes show conflicting info which is worse!

I definitely need to try the system in a 1 before placing my order. Last time I was at the dealer, I specifically sat in cars that didn't have iDrive/Nav as I was leaning against the Tech Package, but I may have changed my mind as I've become more familiar with my wife's system.

I've become fairly adept at using iDrive and Nav in my wife's car because I often tinker with it while she's driving. I haven't learned any of the voice commands yet, though I'm sure I'd learn them -- I still drive manual and I always read manuals.

I've seen various articles about supposed improvements to the MY2013 navigation system in the 1 Series, though I can't figure out exactly what changed since I've never used an earlier system in a 1. I believe I read that it now has a faster processor, a bigger hard drive and 3D graphics so it sounds like it may have caught up with the system in my wife's 2012 F30. That would kind of make sense because the F30's system was overhauled for MY2103, so perhaps the last generation system has been handed down to the 1.

I still don't like the way the screen and hood protrude out of the dash, but given the placement of the air vents, I don't see any reasonable alternative. Function over form rules the day.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

I know a lot of people are against the technology package/nav and my 2008 135 didn't have it and don't think it's necessary, but I think it's helpful especially if you live in a big city with awful traffic and having live traffic updates and auto-reroutes can save you a ton of time and stress. Also, I got it on my ordered 2013 135is because like you, I'm so used to it now on my other car that it's hard to then not have it, even if you don't fully utilize it.

It ain't the prettiest integration, but the screen is so much bigger and better than the original one on the 2008 135i that popped up and looked awful. Have the dealer walk you through a few of the more useful things you can do with the nav and voice commands and I think you'll find it extremely useful. It syncs right up to your phone so you have all your contacts there and can even program the soft touch buttons underneath the climate control to be calling someone or a favorite radio station or basically any command.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
I had an 09 nav and had no problem unlike early version which is not easy to navigate.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

The navigation system is awful. When I complained to my service advisor, he told me that there was a comparison of 26 nav systems, and BMW's came in 26th. I like having the system for all of the other features, but I bought a Garmin portable nav to have handy for when I really need to get somewhere. As I've said before, the BMW nav is truly class-action worthy.
      03-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
The navigation system is awful. When I complained to my service advisor, he told me that there was a comparison of 26 nav systems, and BMW's came in 26th. I like having the system for all of the other features, but I bought a Garmin portable nav to have handy for when I really need to get somewhere. As I've said before, the BMW nav is truly class-action worthy.
This. I will still use my iPhone google maps app before i put an address into the "Nav" system. I do however like it for all the other features, just not the nav.
      03-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
zamboni
United_States
Rep

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Don't know what year is your vehicle but from 09 going forward the nav is much easier to navigate, disagreed with your SA on BMW nav try other MFG and see it for yourself which is more difficult to use.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

I personally would avoid the nav(and did) if you plan on keeping the vehicle for the long term. Unlike the Mk IV unit found in older models, iDrive does not have a steller reputation for reliability. Coupled with the cost of replacement and its integral nature to the function of the car, I would go without.

Standard head unit is also quite excellent for iPod/Bluetooth/whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Don't know what year is your vehicle but from 09 going forward the nav is much easier to navigate, disagreed with your SA on BMW nav try other MFG and see it for yourself which is more difficult to use.
Says 2011 in his signature.
      03-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #12
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Update: I dropped by my dealer to check out a MY2013 128i with the Technology Package. As far as I could tell, it's basically the same as the system in my wife's 2012 F30 (minus the Eco garbage). I think it even shares the same 8.8" HD screen, but I'm not certain.

I don't drive my wife's car much, but I have warmed to using iDrive as a passenger. This week, I also watched a couple online manuals on BMW's site to learn more about the real-time traffic capabilities. It all makes more sense to me now. Weekend traffic in LA is impossible to predict at any hour, let alone the daily commute. The programmable buttons will make it easy to set work, home and the beach as destinations so I can benefit from the real-time traffic info. Nav will also come in handy on a few road trips I plan to take and the big screen is also helpful for navigating media functions for someone like me who uses a huge USB drive in lieu of an iPod, etc.

On my current car (2011 335i Coupe) and my previous car (2007 Z4 Coupe), I avoided iDrive because it felt badly underbaked. I've made the most of the two line screen in my standard 2011 head unit, but it has limitations. It's not always easy to use while driving and it doesn't mix well with polarized sunglasses, for example. Basic, but workable.

My main goal for my next car is to get something kind of simple and old school because I see the E82 128i as the last of the old school BMWs (naturally aspirated, hydraulic steering, etc.) My anti-car technology stance has softened a bit now that I see some of the iDrive/Nav benefits and I've seen the system in action and online. I'm still not 100% sold on iDrive/Nav and the screen placement in the E82 is still a bit awkward, but I'm fairly certain I'd more likely regret skipping it this time around than regret ordering it. So I made the call, added the Tech Package to the config and placed the order.

Hey, I'm still getting a manual transmission and I'm going to swap the suspension, wheels and tires, so it's not like I'm going completely soft!

Last edited by simianspeedster; 03-08-2013 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #13
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I personally would avoid the nav(and did) if you plan on keeping the vehicle for the long term. Unlike the Mk IV unit found in older models, iDrive does not have a steller reputation for reliability. Coupled with the cost of replacement and its integral nature to the function of the car, I would go without.
Thanks -- I definitely thought about this before placing the order. As much as I'm usually a cautious person, I didn't want to make my decision based on the possibility that it would break in the 5 years I'll likely have the car because it probably won't and I'll probably enjoy the benefits in that time frame. Basically, I'm playing the odds.

That said, adding more electronics does make me more likely to consider an extended warranty considering the general reliability of the N52.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
My car is MY11. Not so concerned about the difficulty - I'm talking more about the accuracy. It just plain sucks. Need to turn left and go 3 miles? The nav system is just as likely to tell you to turn right, go a mile, MAKE A U TURN, and head back to where you started. I've seen it over and over. And the circuitous routes it suggests often add 50% to travel time.

But as long as you raised the issue of difficulty of use - every time I get in a friend's car with touch-screen, and he can enter stuff in seconds, I wonder what BMW is thinking, clinging to this crappy dial input. Just amazing.
      03-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
Thanks -- I definitely thought about this before placing the order. As much as I'm usually a cautious person, I didn't want to make my decision based on the possibility that it would break in the 5 years I'll likely have the car because it probably won't and I'll probably enjoy the benefits in that time frame. Basically, I'm playing the odds.

That said, adding more electronics does make me more likely to consider an extended warranty considering the general reliability of the N52.
If you are under warranty the whole time I wouldn't worry as much, but if it is a longer term car I would skip it.
      03-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
zamboni
United_States
Rep

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
My car is MY11. Not so concerned about the difficulty - I'm talking more about the accuracy. It just plain sucks. Need to turn left and go 3 miles? The nav system is just as likely to tell you to turn right, go a mile, MAKE A U TURN, and head back to where you started. I've seen it over and over. And the circuitous routes it suggests often add 50% to travel time.

But as long as you raised the issue of difficulty of use - every time I get in a friend's car with touch-screen, and he can enter stuff in seconds, I wonder what BMW is thinking, clinging to this crappy dial input. Just amazing.
With the touch screen can they enter address when the car is in motion? Compare the new nav vs old it's day & night.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:

We've never had any accuracy issues with my wife's system from the main system and screen, though the instrument panel screen sometimes shows wacky stuff. Then again, we've only used it in the LA area thus far.

In terms of Nav input, I don't plan to use the dial if I can avoid it. I'll either:

1) Use Google Maps to send the address to my car for planned trips (works great)
2) I'm going to learn the voice commands, so that's probably the best option for unplanned trips

Last edited by simianspeedster; 03-08-2013 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #18
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post

CPO doesn't cover electronics. My friend bought the extended warranty for his wife's 335i, iDrive failed (bone stock car), took it to the dealer, coverage denied.

$4000 later he has iDrive again.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
CPO doesn't cover electronics. My friend bought the extended warranty for his wife's 335i, iDrive failed (bone stock car), took it to the dealer, coverage denied.

I don't know the CPO details, but I'm buying new. At some point during the first 4 years, I'll research extended warranties, but there are definitely BMW and 3rd party products that cover iDrive/Nav and other electronics. BMW offers 3 tiers of coverage and the top tier covers these items:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
zamboni
United_States
Rep

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post

Lot of items were not cover under CPO read the fine print.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
vishal77
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: 118d

Navigation Flip

^Hello everybody
I have problem with CID flap Board Monitor for my 1er, the display has turned upside down , it so annoying to use navigation now! all he other things work perfect , please know me any one form forum had experienced similar problem, or any one could think probable reason and solution to get it right.
thanks
VD
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
Stevo-
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport Plus Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal77 View Post
^Hello everybody
I have problem with CID flap Board Monitor for my 1er, the display has turned upside down , it so annoying to use navigation now! all he other things work perfect , please know me any one form forum had experienced similar problem, or any one could think probable reason and solution to get it right.
thanks
VD
Been to Australia recently?

Seriously though, nothing in the settings?

BMWP Grills - Black Depo's - 6000k LED's - 6000k Terminator Xenon's - Eibach Pro Kit - BMWP Carbon Spoiler
Appreciate 0