BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-02-2017, 05:09 AM   #1
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

Autocross! and that Pesky Charge Pipe

A few weekends ago I had a chance to participate in my first autocross event. What a blast it was! Relatively safe, inexpensive, and legal way to push the car a bit. I didn't do too bad for my first time out, but certainly have a lot to learn. Among other things, I found the most stand out weakness was smooth throttle application. The turbo's, especially with overboost, require some seat time to modulate properly! Quick shout out to the BMW CCA NCC Autocross folks. Really went above and beyond to help me understand what was going on and get me involved in the event!

Unfortunately, I ran into the infamous Charge Pipe issue. I had finished my runs and wanted to ride along with one of the instructors. He was only able to make it through about 3 turns before we got limp mode. I had known about the charge pipe issue and had a feeling that was exactly what it was.

Sure enough -

I know Artemis has a running 1M known issues list and wanted to comment on my experience.

Before I knew where to look for on the Charge Pipe, a fellow autocrosser was able to pull the codes for me. I received:
P0238 - Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit High
P007D - Charge Air Cooler Temperature Sensor Circuit High
I also had an IAT reading of -40(cant remember if F or C)

I wanted to point these out as I couldn't find any information on these codes related to the Charge Pipe specifically. On the Flip Side, there seems to be an issue related to a BMS tune where it shorts a ground wire and causes these EXACT codes. So, wanted to comment on the codes I received and that they were resolved once I replaced the Charge Pipe.

Overall, I had an awesome time at the Autocross event despite the small hiccup at the end. Looking forward to the next one!

BMW CCA Member -- NCC Chapter
Appreciate 5
BimmerAg425.00
JP-1M171.00
ayao641.50
      08-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #2
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Good to know it was easy to diagnose/fix.

Started autocrossing the 1M this season. Has been awesome! No issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
griz31171.50
ayao641.50
      08-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

thanks for your post.

enjoyed the pics!

There are some charge pipe threads being posted in now so check those out.

I had my first charge pipe fail in the middle of a run at an autocross.

It was repaired under warranty- car was 3 years old

My second one just failed similarly to yours, in that I went out one session at an HPDE and all was fine.. the next session I went out I got a very faint limp mode icon and of course all boost was gone. that one also made it three years as well.

I just ordered an ER charge pipe - anodized black metal - with one additional bung (that I will probably never use) last Friday.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1001755

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-28-2017 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: updated with link that has addl photos
Appreciate 0