BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #177
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

OK, so we are about 45 days into this and here is my experience:

We have DirecTV Now, biggest package they had and added HBO. Cost is about $75. You are allowed no more than two concurrent streams on one account; it's not a problem for use since there's only two of us here. Both TVs that we watch the most are on Apple TV 4th gen boxes.

DirecTV Now DOES freeze up from time to time, definitely much more than it ever did when we were on cable. Most times you can resolve it by changing the channel, then going back to what you were watching. But it is HIGHLY annoying when it happens. Yesterday I had to reload the ID channel SIX FRIGGING TIMES just to get it to stream video and sound (I was getting video, no sound). Sometimes it happens so often that you literally give up on watching whatever show you were enjoying. It does happen to us on some channels more than others for some reason. I connected the Apple TV devices directly to the router the CAT5 cables, and that helped out a touch with the freezing and picture quality. Internet provider is solid, speeds are right where they should be so I know that's not the issue. Two weeks ago DTV Now's entire system crashed for about 30 minutes. It's a shame because the DTV interface is great as is the channel lineup. Also, some network's apps don't give you access with your DTV Now account. Lack of DVR is also no bueno. They have some work to do over there, I feel like this is still a Beta version not quite ready for prime time.

I'm going to give DTV about another 90 days until the trial period is up, then we're going to give Playstaion Vue a try.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2018, 10:59 PM   #178
dkracing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post

We have DirecTV Now, biggest package they had and added HBO. Cost is about $75. You are allowed no more than two concurrent streams on one account; it's not a problem for use since there's only two of us here. Both TVs that we watch the most are on Apple TV 4th gen boxes.

DirecTV Now DOES freeze up from time to time, definitely much more than it ever did when we were on cable. Most times you can resolve it by changing the channel, then going back to what you were watching. But it is HIGHLY annoying when it happens. Yesterday I had to reload the ID channel SIX FRIGGING TIMES just to get it to stream video and sound (I was getting video, no sound). Sometimes it happens so often that you literally give up on watching whatever show you were enjoying. It does happen to us on some channels more than others for some reason. I connected the Apple TV devices directly to the router the CAT5 cables, and that helped out a touch with the freezing and picture quality. Internet provider is solid, speeds are right where they should be so I know that's not the issue. Two weeks ago DTV Now's entire system crashed for about 30 minutes. It's a shame because the DTV interface is great as is the channel lineup. Also, some network's apps don't give you access with your DTV Now account. Lack of DVR is also no bueno. They have some work to do over there, I feel like this is still a Beta version not quite ready for prime time.

I'm going to give DTV about another 90 days until the trial period is up, then we're going to give Playstaion Vue a try.
DirecTV Now's freeze ups lost me as a customer.

The straw that broke the camel's back was while watching The Walking Dead and in an intense scene it froze and I missed it.

Additionally, I needed a system to not sleep after an amount of hours, and no matter what I tried the application would go to sleep after like 4 hours. I have a puppy and I like to leave some background noise for him.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #179
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkracing View Post
DirecTV Now's freeze ups lost me as a customer.

The straw that broke the camel's back was while watching The Walking Dead and in an intense scene it froze and I missed it.

Additionally, I needed a system to not sleep after an amount of hours, and no matter what I tried the application would go to sleep after like 4 hours. I have a puppy and I like to leave some background noise for him.
What's weird is that some channels seem to be more affected than others. We watch the ID channel quite a bit, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it freezes at least twice per hour so bad that I have to change channels and retune to ID 4 and 5 times over just to get video and sound. Meanwhile, I can watch a full game on NHL network without issue. But yea, it freezes up way more than it should. I've had Destination America completely fail to load at least twice; I gave up and watched something else, but you shouldn't have to do that. Like I said, I feel like I'm paying DirecTV to be a beta tester. At least I get to keep the Apple TV 4K from the deal.

I will definitely be switching to PS Vue when this trial period is up in about 45 days.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 11:01 PM   #180
dkracing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
What's weird is that some channels seem to be more affected than others. We watch the ID channel quite a bit, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it freezes at least twice per hour so bad that I have to change channels and retune to ID 4 and 5 times over just to get video and sound. Meanwhile, I can watch a full game on NHL network without issue. But yea, it freezes up way more than it should. I've had Destination America completely fail to load at least twice; I gave up and watched something else, but you shouldn't have to do that. Like I said, I feel like I'm paying DirecTV to be a beta tester. At least I get to keep the Apple TV 4K from the deal.

I will definitely be switching to PS Vue when this trial period is up in about 45 days.
I think ISPs who own Cable plans do it on purpose.

Like oh if I hiccup his streaming he is less likely to jump and cord cut.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #181
Vincz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Quote:

We had the exact same experience, now on playstation VUE for 40$ a mo, its MUCH better
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #182
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincz View Post
We had the exact same experience, now on playstation VUE for 40$ a mo, its MUCH better
Thanks for the insight, VUE is my next stop on this train.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #183
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
My cable service is up this week and I'm finally going to ditch cable. I watch mostly sports and premium network shows. I don't care about broadcast shows as they are horrible. I've looked at all the services and read many articles on the comparisons between SlingTV vs. Directv Now vs. Hulu vs. YouTube TV. I've been testing Directv Now and do like the service. However, SlingTV seems like a better deal. I will be testing that next.

What are you guys using? How many people have moved away from cable?
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #184
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

There’s a thread on this started by me few years back. That was when I canceled cable TV services and got an internal antenna for each of the rooms. Only thing I pay for now is high speed cable internet ($49 a month). That’s plenty to support streaming for everyone in the family. The antennas work well and pick up a lot of channels. Today was the first time in a long time where I actually watched a bit of real TV. I normally watch Netflix, Amazon Prime videos, or YouTube. I don’t miss any of the shows on regular TV as I usually only watch sports. Lately I don’t follow football all that much anymore so all the more reason not to have cable. Besides, you can catch a lot of the games on TV via antenna. So I’d say do it and don’t look back. Nobody should be watching $200+ worth of TV a month.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #185
///3dkn
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [8.67]
I mainly use Netflix and Amazon Prime (Netflix is better) for watching movies and tv shows and haven't had cable or satellite for some time now. I have HBOgo from AT&T that I use too. I also just recently installed an indoor antenna to pick up the local news and sports for up to 50 miles. I have an AppleTV so thats how I watch most of the stuff using the apps on there. My parents have DirecTV so I grabbed their username and password to watch other stuff as well like NFL channel, NBC sports and others.

Everything is good and I have no complaints.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #186
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Won't happen until I leave the industry. For now I get pretty much every channel, every premium and every sports package for $0
      10-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #187
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

My wife cut cable a few months back and I didn't notice it until I saw the cable box was missing.
Appreciate 2
Lups11824.50
omasou2086.50
      10-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #188
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

There is a thread on this.

I cut the cord several months ago. I started out with DirecTV Now. I could not go more than one full day without having major technical issues with DTVN. At times, it would go offline for 5+ hours.

I switched to PS Vue about three months ago. Service and channel lineup are excellent, and the price is identical to what I was paying for DTVN, which is right around $85 per month. I was paying over $130 per month for cable, with fewer channels in my lineup.

I use Apple TV 4K for my devices. Owning the equipment is what really makes cutting the cord an awesome option; you can come and go as you please. PS Vue seems to have hardly any technical issues. When a tech issue does arise, they seem to have it corrected in a matter of minutes. Best of luck, cutting the cord in this day and age is a no-brainer in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #189
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Wife and I cut cable 2 years ago
Using android box with Kodi and unlimited internet for 95% of “TV” programs and movies.
Sports are hit and miss but can usually get a decent stream for English Premier League and F1
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      10-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #190
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I thought this thread was gonna be about kicking grown kids out of the house
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc7555.50
King Rudi13154.00
omasou2086.50
      10-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #191
Haywood
Rep

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
There is a thread on this.

I cut the cord several months ago. I started out with DirecTV Now. I could not go more than one full day without having major technical issues with DTVN. At times, it would go offline for 5+ hours.

I switched to PS Vue about three months ago. Service and channel lineup are excellent, and the price is identical to what I was paying for DTVN, which is right around $85 per month. I was paying over $130 per month for cable, with fewer channels in my lineup.

I use Apple TV 4K for my devices. Owning the equipment is what really makes cutting the cord an awesome option; you can come and go as you please. PS Vue seems to have hardly any technical issues. When a tech issue does arise, they seem to have it corrected in a matter of minutes. Best of luck, cutting the cord in this day and age is a no-brainer in my opinion.
Thanks. I use 4K ATV's as well. That's what I'll be using to test the services. I will also check out PS Vue then. I do have a PS4 Pro so it should make it easier. I've used Directv Now for about 2 months and I haven't had any tech issues. But, then again, I'm not using it every day and I travel half the month. I do agree that there aren't many reason to stick with cable. Now that most of the services offer cloud DVR's and good quality streaming.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #192
Doug Hoover
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Did it 6 years ago.
Have not missed the buiishit content once.
Or the Commercials about all the big pharma wonder poison of the day either.
Or the lawyers chasing big pharma for money awards for themselves, oops I mean the injured public.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 11:29 PM   #193
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Hulu offers most popular shows, commercial-free and on-demand, for $11.99/mo. Their movie selection isn't as broad as Netflix, but I don't watch much TV anyway. Sure is nice not having commercials that waste one-third of a show's airtime.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:30 AM   #194
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 Alpine White M550i

If you still have internet with the cable company, you didnt cut the cord. I hate the dumb slogans DirecTV comes up with.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #195
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

-1 for no umbilical comments.
Appreciate 3
Lups11824.50
Sea-Tac1453.00
Germanauto9698.00
      10-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #196
Haywood
Rep

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PshhhhhMW View Post
If you still have internet with the cable company, you didnt cut the cord. I hate the dumb slogans DirecTV comes up with.

I still have to keep my Internet with Cox because Verizon doesn't have high-speed FIOS at my location yet. The most I can get through them is 30mb which is a joke. Where else are you getting your access from?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #197
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PshhhhhMW View Post
"Cutting the cord" refers more towards dumping the TV packages the cable companies keep increasing the cost of. After paying HD technology fees, local sports fees, equipment rental fees, tax, etc. it ends up being twice the cost of the actual TV channel lineup pricing. By just getting internet, you end up "sticking it to the man" and dropping that BS altogether.

How else do you plan on getting decent download/upload speeds and not paying a fortune on LTE, etc.?
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      10-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #198
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Cord Cutting - Blogging My Experience... https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454209
Appreciate 0