BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5M, '18 M2, '09 135i

2009 135i drivers window malfunction

2009 135i coupe 6MT Msport, 75k miles. Got in the car this morning and started it, then closed the drivers door. The window opened all the way on its own (in a controlled way - it did not freefall), and will not come back up. When I try the "up" switch, I hear electrical things, plus something mechanical that is definitely not normal. but the window does not move. Similarly if I push the "down" button, I get the same kinds of noises but no motion.

Suggestions on cause and potential fixes?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

If the regulator fails it likely won’t cause the window to free-fall as it still has to wind the motor backwards. I’ve never had it happen personally though so this is purely speculation.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Jeff J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X5M, '18 M2, '09 135i

Forgot to update this thread with the outcome.

As expected, the cable of the driver's window regulator failed. I was able to complete the replacement myself with the help of a C-spanner wrench from a 1984 Honda 3-wheeler (!) loaned from a friend. It perfectly fit the big sprocket head fasteners that clamp the window glass, and made short work of the job. It even feels like there's less wind noise around the glass now that I've done some adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
Forgot to update this thread with the outcome.

As expected, the cable of the driver's window regulator failed. I was able to complete the replacement myself with the help of a C-spanner wrench from a 1984 Honda 3-wheeler (!) loaned from a friend. It perfectly fit the big sprocket head fasteners that clamp the window glass, and made short work of the job. It even feels like there's less wind noise around the glass now that I've done some adjustments.
It certainly is rewarding to repair something that is broken on one's own vehicle. However, now it is time to invest in a decent set of tools. An adjustable spanner is generally not found anywhere near a BMW.

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
An adjustable spanner is generally not found anywhere near a BMW.
Ha! I used one yesterday to hold the control arm knuckle bolts because I couldn't find my 21 mm wrench. I went and bought a cheapo 21 mm wrench at O' Reilly's only to find my good ratcheting wrench later. Ugh!
Appreciate 1
mackeroni326.50
      12-30-2019, 11:27 PM   #6
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Ha! I used one yesterday to hold the control arm knuckle bolts because I couldn't find my 21 mm wrench. I went and bought a cheapo 21 mm wrench at O' Reilly's only to find my good ratcheting wrench later. Ugh!
Could I be wrong?
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
Could I be wrong?
Meh...could be.

I don't use the little adjustable wrench often, but I have a giant one that opens to something like 2 1/4" wide and I've used it many times when nothing else would work.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:32 PM   #8
trhoads66
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Repair shop broke other window regulator during repair? Or common cause?

Hi, took my 2008 135i (50k miles) to repair shop in San Diego for window regulator repair when passenger side window became stuck/apparently broken. Repair completed today, was still in repair shop lot, got in car, went to roll windows up and down - and heard the driver side break (was already broken - but was working when I dropped car off) , leaving driver side window now broken and stuck in down position. This occurred at end of the day, so will talk to them more tomorrow. Could they have screwed up the repair and done something to mess up the driver side window/window regulator when they were repairing the passenger side's? Or is it a common problem that caused both sides to break a few days apart? Thanks!
Appreciate 0