BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #45
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
My works fine however lately it makes a minor squeaky sound when the a/c is turned on.

Classic symptom of a slipping compressor drive belt.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 07:17 AM   #46
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

I have the updated A/C or the automated climate control. This is where the A/C and heating are combined to condition the air and provide a comfortable environment.

I have had it engaged or "on" since I bought the car. The temperature is set at 65 and the far right control set to "all". This is the correct way to use the system. The air is never "ice cold" but I never feel too hot or cold. The system has been functioning perfectly for 6 years without a hint of trouble.

Forget about adding freon with one of those recharge can. First, you'll either overcharge of lose refrigerant in attempting to use it. Next the A/C won't function if the freon level isn't exactly correct. And if you need to add freon, the system has a leak.

If the compressor is bad, a scan will reveal the problem; otherwise, the following steps should be taken:

Recharge the system adding a dye to detect leaks.
Drive the car for a couple of weeks and then bring it back to the shop.
The shop should be able to find the leak and repair it.

I've never needed an evaporator, so that would be a new experience for me. My past experience has been a new compressor, receiver-dryer, and recharge the system. The bill around a thousand dollars, but the system was 10 years old.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #47
Lesegobrock
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 125i 2009 e88

Angry Aircon Not switching on bmw 125i 2009

hi, my aircon bracket in the car when i turn it on nothing happens, no power goes to the aircon bracket

125i convertable, even the button to open the drop top no power

tried to open the cover and check the cables...al are attached to the aircon cover
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #48
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Last week, after servicing my 2013 128i convertible, the SA advised me the tech reported smelling a leaking A/C evaporator, and provided a hefty (~$2700) estimate to replace it. I know replacing the evaporator is a major repair, requiring removal and reinstallation of the dash, so am considering my next step.

Having read what I can find on this, I understand leaking A/C evaporators have been an issue with the 1 series, though that seems to be the early years. Mine is the last year and I'd think BMW would have resolved the issue by then. More to the point, I have noticed no refrigerant smell (or more accurately, the lubricant in the refrigerant). I've also read that presence of an oily film on the lower, inside surface of the windshield is a symptom, which I've also not observed.

I'm disappointed in the dealer recommending an evaporator replacement soley based on an odor without recommending first conducting a leak test. They can do a test or I can have an independent shop do a test, which I would do before committing to such an expensive repair.

So, to those with experience with this, should I proceed with a test or, as I've not observed any symptoms, wait until or if a symptom does become clear?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #49
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Do nothing until it starts blowing warm(er). Then add a can with some sort of "leak stop" and wait again. Only if that fails should you then even think about dropping that kind of money... especially with a somewhat dubious diagnosis.