BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

+60k Mile Maintenance

Hi everyone,

I am approaching a crossroads. My 09 135i has 60k miles on it, and although it has been reliable for me since day 1, I see its days as my daily driver nearing an end. My HPFP never failed, the original water pump is still going strong, etc., so I am thinking maybe getting out while I'm still ahead isn't a bad idea. My wife and I are planning on going to Europe next fall, so I thought taking delivery of a new 435i Gran Coupe would be a fantastic idea. Kids are in our not so distant future, so getting a larger car is a logical choice as well.

However, the thought of getting an electric car for my daily commute and our miscellaneous trips around town has appealed to me for a while. When the i3 was unveiled I was somewhat interested but more just curious. After seeing it in person and a test drive I was very impressed though. Very fun little car that I could see myself being very happy with on week days. I am strongly considering nixing the 435i Gran Coupe idea in favor of the i3 and then keeping my 135i as a weekend/track car.

Up until now I have basically let BMW dictate my maintenance plan except I have done 4 or so additional oil changes. Mostly immediately before track events. I think I only went the full 15k miles between oil changes once.

My question is: what standard maintenance (fluids, etc.) should I expect to need to address in the next 20k miles? What repairs (water pump, etc.)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

You can get the HPFP replaced under the recall. But like you, I'm still on my original water pump (mine is a 2008) so I'm anxious about that thing failing on me. I know people have replaced the water pump proactively.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
You can get the HPFP replaced under the recall. But like you, I'm still on my original water pump (mine is a 2008) so I'm anxious about that thing failing on me. I know people have replaced the water pump proactively.
Yep I did. <$600 and a day of work. If you have a few grand saved up for unexpected things (HPFP, water pump, misfires), you should probably be good.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Yeah, I definitely have money ready to throw at the car if necessary. That's part of the requirement of owning a BMW out of warranty.

I don't expect the new HPFP to fail, just changed the plugs. I'm expecting the water pump as the next item.
Appreciate 0