BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Number of guests you are bringing?
none 0 0%
1 1 100.00%
>1 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

08-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #23
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iPSU View Post
and also, DINAN is very expensive, especially engine tuning wise, 2k for the top of the line works, is alittle steep, plus to top that ll off, my dealer rep told me that they are currently thinking about taking DINAN off of the 1 series list to warranty if any engine tuning is done because it is blowing the transmission in almost every car that has had it
guys, i'm going to report back and read this thread... this is my kind of discussion...

my question is, who is telling you this crap? and if it's true, expect my tranny to be garbage in the next week or two! lol. I am picking up my car from being tuned today or tomorrow... the price tag does suck though.

and don't paint your calipers!! the oem calipers are already coated and really nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #24
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post

Interesting comment about DINAN from the dealer! Actually, I'd be surprised if BMW ever explicitly warranted DINAN products....I'm sure it was more along the lines of DINAN provided the warranty on their products (and anything that might be damaged because of a fault in their products,) and BMW just worked with them with regard to warranty claims. (Dealers hate mods, and will always look for a way to not do warranty work regardless of who provides it....) It does look like BMW is trying to keep DINAN at arm's length nowadays....

By the way, the dealer can't void your warranty in a blanket sense just because you have a mod. He can only avoid warranty coverage if the part broken occured due to the mod. So if you install an aftermarket ECU and then the Sirius radio stops working, that should still be covered under warranty. (Of course, if it's something wrong with the engine, they might dig their heels in and just say that since it's engine-related, it's due to your aftermarket tuning.) They can definitely make it hard to make a warranty claim if it's obvious you modded your car. In fact, one of the 'official' BMW vendors here even said something to the effect of: take off your engine mods before you take your car in for warranty service.
This is true...

and don't tint your tails either please.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #25
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshowcars View Post
guys, i'm going to report back and read this thread... this is my kind of discussion...

my question is, who is telling you this crap? and if it's true, expect my tranny to be garbage in the next week or two! lol. I am picking up my car from being tuned today or tomorrow... the price tag does suck though.

and don't paint your calipers!! the oem calipers are already coated and really nice.
My dealer rep told me about the DINAN problem they were having with the trannys, and why did they paint the calipers on the 135i grey as oem, you can barely see them through the spokes of the wheels? everyother car company wants you to see theirs, hey look im sporting brembos....but not BMW, its like they do not want to draw any attention to the fact that there cars come with 6 piston brakes. oh ya and how long does the dealership say to baby the car once you get it?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #26
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
My dealer rep told me about the DINAN problem they were having with the trannys, and why did they paint the calipers on the 135i grey as oem, you can barely see them through the spokes of the wheels? everyother car company wants you to see theirs, hey look im sporting brembos....but not BMW, its like they do not want to draw any attention to the fact that there cars come with 6 piston brakes. oh ya and how long does the dealership say to baby the car once you get it?

which dealer? p&w is a dinan retailer and installer?

honestly if you just look at the wheels on the car you think they are 16"s because of the caliper... most people realize they are 18's and realize that the calipers are larger than some cars wheels... I would recommend against painting them! they aren't simply painted but high temp coated.

BMW suggested no break in routine for me... i even asked around... I know what I do to new cars and stuck with that... but they didn't have any suggestions... heck, they dont' even change the oil for 10k miles on the cars... I asked that they do my oil just over 3k... that's where my car is now.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #27
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
which dealer? p&w is a dinan retailer and installer?

honestly if you just look at the wheels on the car you think they are 16"s because of the caliper... most people realize they are 18's and realize that the calipers are larger than some cars wheels... I would recommend against painting them! they aren't simply painted but high temp coated.

BMW suggested no break in routine for me... i even asked around... I know what I do to new cars and stuck with that... but they didn't have any suggestions... heck, they dont' even change the oil for 10k miles on the cars... I asked that they do my oil just over 3k... that's where my car is now.
So what would that be, if you would to scale it, 1 being change gears at about 4k and 10 being peddle to the metal at every green light as if you are a professional racecar driver lol
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #28
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
So what would that be, if you would to scale it, 1 being change gears at about 4k and 10 being peddle to the metal at every green light as if you are a professional racecar driver lol
haha... it's all personal preference... really the most important part of the motor is the heat cycling... I do NOT beat on the car until it's hot... and i don't know if any of you other guys noticed, but I noticed two things, the 1 series runs HOT... i mean 250 is pretty hot for being operating temp... and two, man does it take a while to get to operating temp... I only drive about 8 miles to work and it takes 7 of those miles to get the car heated up... typically with turbo cars they heat up in 5 minutes... at least my experience.

anyway... I've romped on my car, power shifted and run through the gears pretty good... i have 3100 miles on the car... so obviously I didn't wait X amount of miles to rev over 4k and shit like that...haha...

these days the motors are built with such tight tolerances that a break in is menial... I'm not sure if the n54 engine uses crank bearings, but typically head design just cuts right into the head with no bearings... and i wouldnt be suprised if block design when this direction... so there is nothing to really 'break in'... ya know?

I've give it a couple hundred of just heat cycling and not beating on it... seat the rings and let the valves run through some lubrication cycles... otherwise treat it right and drive it like it was suppose to be.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #29
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
haha... it's all personal preference... really the most important part of the motor is the heat cycling... I do NOT beat on the car until it's hot... and i don't know if any of you other guys noticed, but I noticed two things, the 1 series runs HOT... i mean 250 is pretty hot for being operating temp... and two, man does it take a while to get to operating temp... I only drive about 8 miles to work and it takes 7 of those miles to get the car heated up... typically with turbo cars they heat up in 5 minutes... at least my experience.

anyway... I've romped on my car, power shifted and run through the gears pretty good... i have 3100 miles on the car... so obviously I didn't wait X amount of miles to rev over 4k and shit like that...haha...

these days the motors are built with such tight tolerances that a break in is menial... I'm not sure if the n54 engine uses crank bearings, but typically head design just cuts right into the head with no bearings... and i wouldnt be suprised if block design when this direction... so there is nothing to really 'break in'... ya know?

I've give it a couple hundred of just heat cycling and not beating on it... seat the rings and let the valves run through some lubrication cycles... otherwise treat it right and drive it like it was suppose to be.

Lol that is very true, since i dont have mine yet, how do you know when it is all heated up, you said it take you 7 of those miles, whats the heads up to say hey give me some gas the mustang next to me just revved his engine, that bastard
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #30
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Lol that is very true, since i dont have mine yet, how do you know when it is all heated up, you said it take you 7 of those miles, whats the heads up to say hey give me some gas the mustang next to me just revved his engine, that bastard
haha, just working off the temp sensor on the cluster... luckily bmw doesn't use L and H but rather real temps!!! right around center is 260 and operating temp is just shy.

as long as you aren't resting on 160 (cold) and beating it...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #31
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
alright thx a lot, i will have to keep these things in mind when i receive it. so if i painted the calipers you think it will get messed up because its already high temp paint thats on there?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #32
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
my car just arrived off the truck, driving down to take pictures right now, post up pics in about 45 minutes after I'm done drooling on the ground
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #33
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
alright thx a lot, i will have to keep these things in mind when i receive it. so if i painted the calipers you think it will get messed up because its already high temp paint thats on there?
Not sure why it would if you use a high temp paint yourself.....

Looking forward to seeing the pics!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #34
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
well i guess i wont have pics until tonight, because i got home went to download and i didnt have the plug into the camera all the way in and somehow it deleted everything on there, so i will take more pics tonight when i drive past, so how long does it take once it comes off the truck to be completed at the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #35
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

The car should be ready within 3 days... I know that it took them 2 on mine... but I went in late and picked it up.

The paint will be fine... it'll be tough to paint right... i guess my point was that I just don't think they need painted, lol... but do as you may!!! this is my front wheel... the caliper is surely noticable:

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #36
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

I gotta say, BMW sure got the stance on these 1'ers dead right from the factory, didn't they? (You didn't lower yours, did you, fshowcars?) And the "BMW" logo really sells the calipers to me, and the grey color looks good with blue. Though I could definitely see red being a little nicer on a different colored car.

Man, I can't believe I have to wait until next year!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #37
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

you got that right man...

ps i'm a picture whore!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #38
Car Whore
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 944 Cup Car - Excursion - R32

and I'm a car whore - nice pics but did you get the car back yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #39
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Whore View Post
and I'm a car whore - nice pics but did you get the car back yet?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 09:25 AM   #40
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
lovin the pictures fshow!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #41
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: seeking m240i

I keep looking for your car on the way home from work, fshow, but they're hiding it at P&W.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #42
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
cant wait to meet up with you guys and check everyones ride out, mines get on some new shoes in about 2 days, blacked out bmw performance wheels, i will be picking it up from the shop because i will be out of town, on the 15th, whats looking like the best day for you guys?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 03:30 AM   #43
135iPSU
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
my best days are August 18th, 21st, and 22nd how bout you?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #44
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanator135 View Post
I keep looking for your car on the way home from work, fshow, but they're hiding it at P&W.
saw you on the vets bridge heading north the other day... i was in my silver VW honking at you!!! lol... but i was going south. youre tint looks nice on that white man!!!

So i got the 1 back!!! damn i missed this car.
Appreciate 0