02-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #45
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joer View Post
I've had the opposite! Only had a quick chance in the dry when they were first fit. Full throttle in second gear and was amazed as the traction light didn't flash!

Most of my 500 miles have been in the wet on the motorway. Traction has also improved in the wet.

Only downside I've had is increased tyre noise on the motorway. Apart from that simply amazing!
Great news about the wet behaviour, am looking fwd to confirming this myself but hard to complain about the persistent good weather here!

I just had a 150 kms. highway run on last Sunday with all family and can not say that I noticed any significant tyre noise on the highway. In fact as someone who drives most of the time with window(s) down w/out aircon and audio and mostly in and around the city where the road surfaces are not good at all, I believe that they are slightly less noisy than the PS2s and they are getting better with more mileage on. How long did you have the PSS and PS2s before that?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #46
dlong82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Pete:
Interesting, thank you for the input.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #47
Joer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Great news about the wet behaviour, am looking fwd to confirming this myself but hard to complain about the persistent good weather here!

I just had a 150 kms. highway run on last Sunday with all family and can not say that I noticed any significant tyre noise on the highway. In fact as someone who drives most of the time with window(s) down w/out aircon and audio and mostly in and around the city where the road surfaces are not good at all, I believe that they are slightly less noisy than the PS2s and they are getting better with more mileage on. How long did you have the PSS and PS2s before that?
Yes they are definitely getting better with use, I've now covered 1,000 miles (1,600 km) with the PSS in total.
Before that I had the PS2s for 13,200 miles (21,000 km).

Oh and I went on a track day, weekend before last. It poured down with rain in the afternoon session. And again I was immensely impressed by wet grip, it was simply amazing!

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #48
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joer View Post
Yes they are definitely getting better with use, I've now covered 1,000 miles (1,600 km) with the PSS in total.
Before that I had the PS2s for 13,200 miles (21,000 km).

Oh and I went on a track day, weekend before last. It poured down with rain in the afternoon session. And again I was immensely impressed by wet grip, it was simply amazing!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #49
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Finally rain in Santiago, a real one! All I want to say that, is it possible a summer performance tire can have better traction in rain compared to dry

Crazy good stuff, I even remembered the poor guy from Hong Kong who crashed his car, I can tell you that he was not on PSS, no way! OK, I did not push the gas, I was careful since I was in the city and in traffic jam half of the time but the steering reactions were so smooth, even on some very broken asphalt and on cobble stones, places that I thought would be crazy problematic in rain. Not even one blink of DSC or any intervention I noticed. In fact, I sensed that I was so far away from the limits of these tires.

In the rain, I felt exactly the way I felt when I switched from summer Continentals to Michelin Pilot Alpins on my previous car 2 years ago in the beginning of winter, I was so blown away with the smoothness combined with extra grip, right away I sold the slightly used Continentals and when the winter ended I just bought a Michelin PS3 set for that car, which were very new at that time and despite being good they were less impressive than the Alpins.

These are my first impressions in rainy weather both with the 1M and PSS; will find opportunities to speed up and see what happens. For now, PSS in rain is better than PS2 in dry.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #50
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
They are summer tires.
I meant on cold/wet road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #51
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Finally rain in Santiago, a real one! [...] I even remembered the poor guy from Hong Kong who crashed his car, I can tell you that he was not on PSS, no way!
But at least you had 'cruise control' deactivated whilst driving in the wet.
      04-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #52
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
But at least you had 'cruise control' deactivated whilst driving in the wet.
If I could delete that from the car I would, one equipment which do not fit with 1M, with any car, never really used it with any car can you believe? I find it almost insulting that a car that I am in control of travels in constant speed, it is like you are pretending to conduct a train. Nothing moves in constant speed in real world why would a car do that? Isn't all the fun about exact opposite?

Yeah, I don't like it at all, the only thing which is worse than automatic gear box.

It really can be that with the Hong Kong guy, this bad habit of cruising and maybe his previous cars were just auto boxes or I really don't like these two devices and am scapegoating them.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #53
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
PSS 265 or 275 at rear? ... what recommendations?
depends on what wheel... i just ordered 295 at the rear for a 11,5 wheel..
      03-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #54
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
PSS 265 or 275 at rear? ... what recommendations?
If you are with stock wheels all I can say is my experience with 265/35 is just wonderful; still playful as stock if you leave electronics off or at least MDM on, but much more grip and control on tap because limits are much higher and even more ride comfort so you feel more willing and safer to go discover the limits of the car and its chassis. I don't think you need wider than that and if you do need due to a tune which provides more power and torque (I guess you have Evolve) then 275 won't be enough anyway, you need as wide as possible in that case, then go for a 295/30 for instance and try 265 or even 275/30 at front.

In short, I don't see a 275 much of a upgrade at the rear in any case, with or without a tune, this if you are with stock wheels of course. 275 also dictates 255/35 at the front in order to keep things straight but those will give you some rubbing. Assuming you were planning a 245/35 front and 275/35 rear set up as a possibility, I would say stick with 265 and don't provoke more understeer, the traction you will loose (on paper) between those sizes is minimal.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #55
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I had PSS's on my 135i, they were brilliant.

I am leaning towards 245/265 setup. I agree that there is little difference between a 265 & 275. Due to squarer shape I don't think the 265 in the PSS will look as stretched as it does on the PS2?

275 is also 2lbs heavier
Yes, they do look less stretched than PS2 and I forgot about the weight you mentioned, PSS are pleasantly lighter than same size PS2 so if you put 275 then you also will put back the potential weight saving over PS2 (I am telling this out of memory but I guess PSS was 3lbs lighter per tire). Go with 265, if you were surviving with stock PS2 you are gonna be more than OK with them and you will save a few bucks too
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #56
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I changed from wintersetup back to PS2 stock 2 days ago. But when I accellerated hard and did a powerslide I experienced wheelhop just like I had with my PS2 equipped ex E90 M3. Is this typically for the PS2? Because it sucks. How does the PSS perform in this area. Wheelhop experiences?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #57
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Interesting. I wonder what is the widest I can use for rear tires without compromising handling and making sure no rubbing occurs during heavy handling.
I have PSS's 265 front and 295 rear on stock wheels and susp. I would expect no rubbing at the track (I will update this in a couple of weeks), but on the street there is rubbing.

Both backs rub over bigger bumps and dips on where the bumper cover and fender connect (the lip is just a little wider there) I plan to fix this by adding camber

The Left front rubs a little on the inner fender starting at about 3/4's of a turn, so only an issue when parking.
http://www.wcma.ca/new/
Appreciate 0