BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2023, 04:58 PM   #1
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Magna flow muffler.

How are you guys doing. I just bought a used magnaflow muffler for 1 series but I noticed when I turn the muffler and hold it I hear a lot of debris in the muffler. It sort of sounds like sand. Does anyone know why is that? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 05:10 PM   #2
iamroddy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i

There's nothing in one of those mufflers that would sound like that. Without actually seeing what the material is, all you'll get are guesses.

Here's one...The original owner burned out their catalytic converter, and what you are hearing may be the ceramic remnants of said catalytic converter. Sounds plausible to me.

Here's another...It came off a flood car, and that really is sand in there.
Appreciate 1
JemBash33.00
      03-28-2023, 05:16 PM   #3
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamroddy View Post
There's nothing in one of those mufflers that would sound like that. Without actually seeing what the material is, all you'll get are guesses.

Here's one...The original owner burned out their catalytic converter, and what you are hearing may be the ceramic remnants of said catalytic converter. Sounds plausible to me.

Here's another...It came off a flood car, and that really is sand in there.
Thank you roddy. I am going to install the muffler tomorrow. Do you think it will sound weird or impact the car in anyway? Once again thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 06:56 PM   #4
iamroddy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Only one way to find out...

Here's another idea for your first question...if that exhaust sat for any length of time.
Mice and chipmunks LOVE mufflers. You'd blow any of their leftovers out with a start-up and a good drive...ROFL at the thought of your car sh!ttin' sunflower seeds for a couple of days, though.
Appreciate 1
JemBash33.00
      03-29-2023, 10:24 AM   #5
Blau
J
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [6.00]
2013 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
Tape your shop vac to one side and run it in reverse. See if anything shoots out.

Do NOT cut your existing system until you verify that there aren't shards of sh*t in your muffler. While unlikely, the stuff could cause a clog in the system or even worse the smell of animal or animal food may attract even more animals.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 11:38 AM   #6
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply man. You think that noise I hear is animal poop? I can’t belive they sold me a muffler like this , I really hope it’s not defected and works
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 03:52 PM   #7
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blau View Post
Tape your shop vac to one side and run it in reverse. See if anything shoots out.

Do NOT cut your existing system until you verify that there aren't shards of sh*t in your muffler. While unlikely, the stuff could cause a clog in the system or even worse the smell of animal or animal food may attract even more animals.
Quote:
Only one way to find out...

Here's another idea for your first question...if that exhaust sat for any length of time.
Mice and chipmunks LOVE mufflers. You'd blow any of their leftovers out with a start-up and a good drive...ROFL at the thought of your car sh!ttin' sunflower seeds for a couple of days, though.
Hey man. I was able to get most of the debris out here is a picture! What do u think it is?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 05:46 PM   #8
iamroddy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Judging by the holes, it looks like carbon or flakes of rust from around the 'core' inside the muffler, so it's not likely animal 'deposits'.
This is fairly normal after some time on a car. Before you cut your stock exhaust, take a long screwdriver (or similar object) and make sure the core (perforated inner tube) is still solid.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 01:10 AM   #9
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Judging by the holes, it looks like carbon or flakes of rust from around the 'core' inside the muffler, so it's not likely animal 'deposits'.
This is fairly normal after some time on a car. Before you cut your stock exhaust, take a long screwdriver (or similar object) and make sure the core (perforated inner tube) is still solid.
Hey roddy! I got a long screwdriver and was tapping and feeling the core it is still solid! I am going to install it Monday. I will lyk how it sounds and if it is working properly. I wanted to ask you after I install it how would I know if the muffler is bad? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 01:12 AM   #10
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Also I forgot to mention. How come you think when I turn the muffler around a few times, smoke starts to come out of the tips? I noticed it today wen I was working with it. Thanks once again.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 04:58 PM   #11
iamroddy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

If the muffler is loud and raspy/tinny sounding, or rattles, it's bad (the 'packing' will likely have been blown out if it sounds like that). Magnaflow mufflers usually have a deep smooth tone, and aren't overly loud.

There won't be any smoke coming out of a cold muffler...that's dust. Just more of what you already got out of it, only much finer particles.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 10:47 PM   #12
JemBash
Private First Class
Rep

Hey roddy! Ended up returning the muffler it was no good
Appreciate 0