BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-29-2023, 02:25 AM   #1
Nothin' Special
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 125i

Identifying tune for 3-stage manifold

Hi all,

I'm new here - my first post. I just picked up a 2011 E82 125i with all the M Sport bits. I got it as a compact car to get around town it. I'm coming from a large SUV so it feels fun to drive. It's in great shape for it's age, but needed some maintenance - I've got engine mounts, trans mounts, diff mounts and brakes on the way but everything else seems right and no codes.

I started reading up on all the mods you guys are doing and found that the biggest bang for buck is the 3 stage intake manifold. I've assumed that the 125i is the same as the 128i you guys have in the US. They are rated 160Kw/214hp.

I don't know the history of the vehicle as the prvious owner is deceased, but do have all the service logs and it has had all it's services done on time. However, I was surprised to fine that it already has a 3 stage intake moanifold on it. At least, it has two DISA valves - a larger one above the throttle body and a smaller one underneath. Both are plugged in. So I have to assume the previous owner has already done this mod.

I don't have a reference for how much power this thing should feel like as it does feel pretty punchy coming out of an SUV, but is there any way of determining if the ECU has been tuned to take advantage of the manifold or what tune is in it? Or should I just get a tune done for the sake of it?

Any advice most welcome.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 10:52 PM   #2
Nothin' Special
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 125i

Well, I'll close out this thread with my additional research findings.

The Australian delivery E82 125i were the same spec as the Euro 125i and 130i, which means it came factory with the 3 stage manifold - just software de-tuned to make 160kw instead of the full 195kw. Only a tune is required to do this and it is freely available from Bimmergeeks - just need a K+DCAN cable, which I have ordered.

The US delivery 128i received the N52 with the single stage intake manifold, which is why all you guys are hunting around for 330i intakes. However, the US version produced 230bhp on paper, whereas the euro spec version produced 160kw/214bhp). I think what they did was software limit the opening of the DISA valves and that resulted in less power than the single stage intake made. The 130i tune probably just tweaks the DISA valves.

At least that's my rationale because the engine is super punchy under 4000rpm and just seems to run out of legs after 4000rpm. Poor mans de-tune BMW...restrict the DISA's and create a non-linear power curve. Hopefully that will all be fixed this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 10:39 AM   #3
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin' Special View Post
Well, I'll close out this thread with my additional research findings.

The Australian delivery E82 125i were the same spec as the Euro 125i and 130i, which means it came factory with the 3 stage manifold - just software de-tuned to make 160kw instead of the full 195kw. Only a tune is required to do this and it is freely available from Bimmergeeks - just need a K+DCAN cable, which I have ordered.

The US delivery 128i received the N52 with the single stage intake manifold, which is why all you guys are hunting around for 330i intakes. However, the US version produced 230bhp on paper, whereas the euro spec version produced 160kw/214bhp). I think what they did was software limit the opening of the DISA valves and that resulted in less power than the single stage intake made. The 130i tune probably just tweaks the DISA valves.

At least that's my rationale because the engine is super punchy under 4000rpm and just seems to run out of legs after 4000rpm. Poor mans de-tune BMW...restrict the DISA's and create a non-linear power curve. Hopefully that will all be fixed this weekend.
It's VVT, Valvetronic and timing maps are all less aggressive compared to the 130i. A BimmerGeeks tune will get you that extra 50hp easy.