BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2023, 02:23 AM   #1
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

Clutch Issues

So to start off I have a weird setup. It's a JB racing lightweight flywheel, stock 128i clutch, and a 550i pressure plate. Drivetrain is solid mounted (engine, trans and diff. These parts were installed about 1500 miles ago.

The issue I started having was at high rpms my clutch pedal would get super stiff and I wouldn't be able to disengage the clutch. And the clutch pedal made a clicking noise when I pushed it in.

I started off by trying to bleed the clutch - no difference

Next, I tried replacing the slave and master since they were still the original ones, and I saw the master was slightly wet. - no difference

Then I dropped the trans and when I took it off I saw that the brass clutch pivot was extremely worn down, and I wasn't sure how much play was acceptable in the clutch release bearing. So I replaced both of those and did notice that the clicking noise went away, and now I had a smooth clutch feel.

However, I went to go do a couple of pulls and it still does the same thing. For example, I'll do a pull starting in second, and shift to third is fine, but by the time I go to shift to 4th, the clutch normally gets super stiff and sometimes it doesn't even let me shift, so I just wait a few seconds and it goes back to normal like nothing happened.

I have no clue what the issue could be and haven't been able to find anyone that's experiencing similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 07:47 AM   #2
cerealwars
Riffraff
Rep
Drives: 128i 6M, 1UZ S13, '62 C10

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Does the pedal make it all the way to the floor when it gets stiff?

Is the 550i pressure plate a proven upgrade? Are we confident it plays nice with the rest of your setup?

You removed the trans for inspection, did you remove the pressure plate and inspect the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel? How did those look?

My gut feeling says the pressure plate is binding somehow.
Appreciate 0