BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2023, 09:46 AM   #1
Eds_Automotive
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Crank hub install issue

Hey all. I am new and to be honest only joined to get advice on this issue I'm having, however the shop I work in does a lot of Euros so I'll probably be around time to time.

Anyways, here's the deal. Friend bought an auction car, it's a 2008 128i, had blown head gasket indicated by coolant in the crank case. Did the job, new chains and all, replaced exhaust lifters, lots of cooling system parts are new, etc. Long story shorter I got the engine assembled and the crank pulley was wobbley. Thought the balancer was damaged so we got a new balancer and hub from Worldpac (IYKYK) and proceeded with install. Made sure 100% that there was no debris or anything in the snout of the crank before reassembly, new hub is pristine and undamaged, as is the crank seal, and i have a brand new bolt. However, after I hit the 100nm preload I took off the holding tool to verify that the hub was centered in the seal as the whole reason I'm changing the hb was because without the balancer attached it was off center like it was bent or something, and now it looks like the same thing going on with the new hub, there's a small gap on one side and no gap on the other. I noticed the hub does have some movement before it's torqued so I held the holding tool so the hub was centered and snugged the bolt only to remove the tool and the hub is still off center. Is it possible the crank nose is bent? I doubt I was able to twist the crank last time I assembled it, but something is definitely not right. I do not have video of the wobble, but I included pictures of how it sits when I snug the bolt.

For the record, I have 13yrs shop experience, I am using the special tools to hold the crank and cams in place, this is definitely not a shade tree operation. Any help is greatly appreciated

Edit: pictures uploaded sideways, but hopefully you can see whats going on.

Edit 2: Does the hub center itself as it gets closer to final torque degrees? Now I'm wondering g if the wobble was because a TTY bolt was used and the stretch didn't allow it to be fully torqued? Hopefully someone has an idea soon, I can't wait to get this thing off my lift lol
Attached Images

Last edited by Eds_Automotive; 12-11-2023 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Add info
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 10:55 AM   #2
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Have you checked the roundness of the timing cover?
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00
      12-11-2023, 11:02 AM   #3
Eds_Automotive
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRTSB1M View Post
Have you checked the roundness of the timing cover?
No, I am pretty sure that's fine as the new seal had no issues when I installed it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:38 AM   #4
Eds_Automotive
Registered
Rep

SOLVED!

I think I found the issue. I pulled the new hub off and put the main sprocket and then the oil pump sprocket on it, noticed there was movement in the gears that wasn't perfectly flat. Put the original main sprocket on that I saved from when I did the head gasket, has no movement. The "new" gear I installed originally was faulty, I am currently finishing assembly with original gear, will report back with results.

CONFIRMED FIXED!

The crank sprocket for the main chain was not in spec, thats what we get for buying a Chinese kit on ebay! Below is pictures, compared to before it's a massive improvement. I doubt anyone will need this thread but maybe in the future it will come in handy as a lesson on what NOT to buy
Attached Images

Last edited by Eds_Automotive; 12-11-2023 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Add information
Appreciate 1
ayao643.00