BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
speedsports
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

135i TCU Failure

First post! (although I wish I didnt have to...)

Hello to all! My old man has been having some issues with his car (135i) and I was hoping you guys could give me your thoughts on the issue:

Long story short:
1. Sunday drive, temp gauge reads that the car is overheating. He pulls over, opens the hood, and belives that the engine is actually running at regular temp. He lets the car sit for about 20 mins.
2. After he turns on the car, the bluetooth system gives him an error warning.
3. Then the BMW Assist gives him an error reading.
4. Finally, the CEL goes on.

Now the stealership is saying that he needs a new TCU. From what i have been able to gather, the TCU controls the BMW Assist, Bluetooth, and a couple of other electrical components, but nothing related to the engine. Is this correct?

Furthermore, the stealership told him that he part is in backorder. I got the part number and called my local BMW dealership (Hendrick BMW in Charlotte) and he told me that there was no backorder notices on the system, and they actually have over 45 units available around the country.

Your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
speedsports
Registered
Rep

BTW the car has 4xx miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Go to your dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
speedsports
Registered
Rep

The car has been in the dealership for more than a week now, and nothing has been done. I'm trying to understand the function of the TCU and how its related to the malfunction of the car.

Something doesnt add up and I wanted to hear from people that have experience with BMWs in general.
Appreciate 0