BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #23
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Any updates on if there's a CAI which improves response and adds power -not just noise - to the N55 135i?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #24
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Any updates on if there's a CAI which improves response and adds power -not just noise - to the N55 135i?
Basically a CAI or SRI (short ram) is a half modification for these cars.

-The intake by itself will add sound. Power gains by itself are unlikely.

-Intake + tune will make improved top end power due to volume of air, and should make it possible to run higher boost than without it, but will be limited by the fact that IATs will quickly rise which will lose you power. Works great for bursts of speed.

-Intake + tune + FMIC will make sustained speed at high power levels possible and safe. (Should also have exhaust modifications by this point)

-Intake + tune + FMIC + methanol will further decrease intake temps for more power, intake temps lower than atmospheric temp are possible. I'm not a methanol expert, but some people believe that putting a meth system on a daily driver is dangerous, and is better suited for track applications.

The stock airbox IS technically a CAI, albeit a very restrictive one. Once you get past a certain point with your tuning, it would be stupid not to run an aftermarket intake as they have much more potential top end power.

Last edited by BMW135pls; 09-09-2015 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #25
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Thank you for clearing that up.
Mine is not a track car. DD, and convertible, though I would like to bring it to a track a couple times just to get a feel for what it (and I) can do at the limit. I just installed the ER CP with no meth bung, so not going that way. When I get around to it, exhaust will be axle-back only - probably Corsa or PE without resonator-delete. Tune is likely to be a JB4 Stage 1 or PPK. No plans for FMIC at this point. Is an intake, beyond the K&N Drop-in, even worth considering?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #26
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Thank you for clearing that up.
Mine is not a track car. DD, and convertible, though I would like to bring it to a track a couple times just to get a feel for what it (and I) can do at the limit. I just installed the ER CP with no meth bung, so not going that way. When I get around to it, exhaust will be axle-back only - probably Corsa or PE without resonator-delete. Tune is likely to be a JB4 Stage 1 or PPK. No plans for FMIC at this point. Is an intake, beyond the K&N Drop-in, even worth considering?
A drop in higher flow filter will be fine for you. That is a fine setup if you don't plan to increase power by more than 100bhp beyond stock levels. The stock airboxes are actually quite good as stock airboxes go.

If you want to actually run a few track days, look more into cooling upgrades than power. Aftermarket oil coolers will help keep temps in the operating range so you can keep the loud button held down. An intercooler will help here as well as it will keep your IATs low enough that you won't have to run into knocking or pre-detonation which is potentially dangerous to your internals.