BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Redline Trans Oil?

I am changing my clutch back to a factory setup (stock dual mass and 550i clutch) finally instead of the clutchmasters smfw and fx350. My question is, now that I am no longer in need of the trans "cocktail" to quiet down the gearbox chatter, what Redline oil is acceptable? MT-90? 75w90ns?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765175
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10512.00
      07-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-j View Post
I am changing my clutch back to a factory setup (stock dual mass and 550i clutch) finally instead of the clutchmasters smfw and fx350. My question is, now that I am no longer in need of the trans "cocktail" to quiet down the gearbox chatter, what Redline oil is acceptable? MT-90? 75w90ns?
MT90 is probably better but takes a little extra effort when cold. Because of this many are going with redline auto trans fluid. It's thinner and warms up quicker but I don't believe it's any bettter than stock LT5 and it is not on the list of approved oils from ZF. I contacted them recently.

LT5 was was new for the 1M in 2011 because of some new coating they used in our gearboxes. ZF and BMW changed the chemistry of the oil to protect this new coating. I don't believe Redline MT or Auto fluid have changed their composition since before out gearboxes came out so I am weary of changing the fluid to one that is either missing something out gearboxes need for longevity or having something that might react with the coating.

This is a common question as many forget the 1M LT5 history so just two weeks ago I contacted ZF and they sent me their newest list of approved fluids and redline was not on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
For reference Studie AG in Japan who is a well respected BMW performance shop is using Redline 70W-80 with my bone stock 1M.

(Currently missing my Baby Beast as I'm driving across the USA west to east in a 2003 Miata. Nice car, but not as nice as my BB. Sigh...)
      07-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You can use a wide variety of trans oils, to be honest. It's not a special trans. But why use anything other than the factory, if you have to ask! The whole point of using a special oil would be if you KNEW you had a special use case, which you don't seem to.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
You can use a wide variety of trans oils, to be honest. It's not a special trans. But why use anything other than the factory, if you have to ask! The whole point of using a special oil would be if you KNEW you had a special use case, which you don't seem to.
I agree it's not a
Special trans anymore but at the point it came out it WAS a special trans with specific trans fluid. As a matter of fact when dealers accidentally filled them with LT3 they flushed them and in some cases extended the warranty. BMW and ZF engineers that design these transmissions. Smart people. Deemed it necessary to have a new fluid for this gearbox for a reason. The Redline fluids were not changed. Redline would probably have some benefit in a racing situation that might outweigh any risk where something might react with the coating or need an additive to protect it. A lot of racing fluids are better for high load environments but are meant to be changed more often. Some of the additives that can make them more resistant to breakdown might not be as good for long term. Redline is probably fine but you asked the question and I am just saying again that ZF and BMW rolled out new fluid for this generation of gearboxes. I can also say that my 2003 ZHP which had redline most of its life as a street car has a really coarse hard-to-engage 1st and 2nd gear engagement. And this car uses older LT1 and LT2. It has 127k miles and it has this issue since about 60k. So redline did not prevent this from happening which is why I have also been researching gearbox oils. I have since gone to OEM LT2 on that car. If you feel compelled to change the stock fluid I can attach the list I got from ZF and you can research other fluids that are certified.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf ZF Trans Fluid Approved List.pdf (81.5 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by nachob; 07-09-2017 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 03:53 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

D you drive your 1M in cold weather? That will determine which Red Line oil you need to use. I would suggest to use ATF-D4... since you live in a cold climate. You could also use MTL or ATF-D6... but I personally like D4 the best. MTL can be a tad notchy on a cold day for the first few shifts.

Maybe you should ask the experts at Red Line oils.

I agree with ayao read the thread in the link bellow... we covered this all before.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've been running a red line transmission cocktail because of my single Mass flywheel for the last twenty thousand miles and it's still shifting fine. I did have to play with the ratios a little bit. Looks like I'll probably just be going with the stock fluid. I do drive my car pretty hard and want as much protection as I can get.

Last edited by hot-j; 07-09-2017 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0