BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2020, 10:34 PM   #1
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Upgrading shocks vs. shocks+springs

My 128i w/ M-sport suspension is currently at 107k, and its time to replace the shocks. I'm currently stuck between going with Bilstein B6+stock sport springs, B6 + BMWP or Dinan 328i springs, or the full on B12 Pro kit. Looking to increase performance for backroads and light AutoX without compromising ride quality. This is the first time I've dabbled in modifying suspension, so to say I don't know what I'm doing is an understatement.

It seems like the B12 kit is the most cost effective solution, but I'm a bit worried about the ride quality. I live in SC, and there are 3rd world countries with better roads than ours, so I'm worried about lowering the car. Does it make much of a difference in ride quality? I primarily drive on the highway, which I've heard is where the kit shines. Also worried about the practicality of a lowered car (inclines, putting the car on ramps/jacks, etc.)

BMWP/Dinan springs seem to be the best of both worlds, but rather pricey, and I'm not even sure if the Dinan springs will fit the E82.

Keeping the car on stock springs w/ B6s seems like it will firm up the suspension a bit, while keeping stock ride hight and most of the comfort. However it looks to me like the cost will be equal (if not more than) the entire B12 kit.

If anyone could weigh in on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 10:54 PM   #2
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
My 128i w/ M-sport suspension is currently at 107k, and its time to replace the shocks. I'm currently stuck between going with Bilstein B6+stock sport springs, B6 + BMWP or Dinan 328i springs, or the full on B12 Pro kit. Looking to increase performance for backroads and light AutoX without compromising ride quality. This is the first time I've dabbled in modifying suspension, so to say I don't know what I'm doing is an understatement.

It seems like the B12 kit is the most cost effective solution, but I'm a bit worried about the ride quality. I live in SC, and there are 3rd world countries with better roads than ours, so I'm worried about lowering the car. Does it make much of a difference in ride quality? I primarily drive on the highway, which I've heard is where the kit shines. Also worried about the practicality of a lowered car (inclines, putting the car on ramps/jacks, etc.)

BMWP/Dinan springs seem to be the best of both worlds, but rather pricey, and I'm not even sure if the Dinan springs will fit the E82.

Keeping the car on stock springs w/ B6s seems like it will firm up the suspension a bit, while keeping stock ride hight and most of the comfort. However it looks to me like the cost will be equal (if not more than) the entire B12 kit.

If anyone could weigh in on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Here's a recent thread talking about suspension upgrades.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1727013

I'm about sure Dinan E90 springs will fit but likely won't be the optimal spring rate or ride height for your car.
      06-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #3
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Well, I've done your last option. Stock Sport Pkg. springs w/ B6's. Guess it depends on whether or not you want to lower the car. If you like your stock height the B6's are all you need. It's just as you describe it, firmer ride, much better road feel, most of the comfort. Mine's a daily with the occasional HPDE day and paired with good rubber this a great combo.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Well, I've done your last option. Stock Sport Pkg. springs w/ B6's. Guess it depends on whether or not you want to lower the car. If you like your stock height the B6's are all you need. It's just as you describe it, firmer ride, much better road feel, most of the comfort. Mine's a daily with the occasional HPDE day and paired with good rubber this a great combo.
Ended up going with the B12 kit. Seeing pics of it installed on a 128i rather than the more front-heavy 135i changed my mind. The drop is noticeable but very reasonable. Also, the fact that the kit ends up being cheaper than just B6s (and no waiting for backordered parts) drew me in to. You could also get it for ~$700 off at rockauto when I picked it up, so I'm going to invest those savings in RSFBs.
Appreciate 2
gjm1202183.00
asbrr543.00