BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Well it's time... My kit has arrived.

After loads of research and inquiring over the last 9 months, I decided to get a Speedtech EFR kit for my build. I'm making this thread to share my progress, logs, and dynosheets with the community to hopefully inform anyone that's on the fence about pursuing a Speedtech kit or any kit in general for their N55.

Installation will be done in the next few weeks, and it will be dyno tuned shortly after!

I wont bore you all with details because @c_ozanich has already made a phenomenal write up here https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1510082 but has sold his car since then which is why I decided to start a new thread.

Car:
N55 2012 135i DCT

Mod list:
Catless DP
Custom full 3" exhaust
Vader Solutions Stage 2+ DW400 LPFP
VRSF 7.5" Competition Intercooler
Upper and lower aluminum charge pipes
Speedtech efr 7670 kit
N54 Style inlet and cone filter
S55 DCT Dual mass flywheel
MFactory LSD
Tuned via MHD by Chris at Motiv Motorsports

Will add more pictures tonight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Nice!!! Should be interesting. Congrats!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
Nice!!! Should be interesting. Congrats!!!
Stay tuned
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

EFR is such a great lineup. Wish I had been able to easily fit one on the N54 like your N55!

I can only imagine you will be tickled with that kit, fantastic choice.
      05-12-2020, 12:03 PM   #5
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
EFR is such a great lineup. Wish I had been able to easily fit one on the N54 like your N55!

I can only imagine you will be tickled with that kit, fantastic choice.
Yeah it's really exactly what I was looking for. Retains very quick spool. Also the simplicity of an IWG setup, while also having much more head room than the PS2. Very excited to get it on the dyno and share numbers. Will likely only be tuning for 93 initially.
Appreciate 2
darkrom188.00
      05-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost135i View Post
Yeah it's really exactly what I was looking for. Retains very quick spool. Also the simplicity of an IWG setup, while also having much more head room than the PS2. Very excited to get it on the dyno and share numbers. Will likely only be tuning for 93 initially.
Not much reason to tune for E85 once you get a properly flowing set of huge twins or a big fast spooling twin scroll ST like the BW EFRs. Can't hook the power anyway beyond ~600 IMO. Unless 93 isnt available... then add alcohol until happy.

Only thing the EFR doesn't like is overspeeding, not that any turbo loves it, heh.
      05-13-2020, 07:19 AM   #7
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Hey, how do you like your Dct flywheel from MFactory?
or are you waiting for install?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
That will be installed with the kit. Just updated the mod list to reflect that. I'll be sure to let you know how it feels when it's on! It will remedy the misfire issues n55s see at higher power levels, all while being cheaper and lighter than a M2/3/4 flywheel that many use.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #9
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quick update. Installation is now in progress. Also, I decided to change a few things around. First and foremost I'm getting a MFactory LSD made currently and will be having that installed along with some powerflex diff mounts. Second, I decided to opt out of the single mass flywheel and go with the S55 dual mass instead to retain some noise and vibration dampening.

Quote:
Sorry I no longer will be able to comment on this
Appreciate 2
dtla1827.50
Petro135452.50
      05-28-2020, 11:10 PM   #10
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Good choice on going with the OE Flywheel.

What is the maf delete? Any links to the part? I haven’t seen any logs of an n55 with no maf running flash only so looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Looking forward to your progress.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Good choice on going with the OE Flywheel.

What is the maf delete? Any links to the part? I haven't seen any logs of an n55 with no maf running flash only so looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Looking forward to your progress.
It's not exactly a part, I basically will just be running a shorter silicon inlet without a MAF sensor, and cone filter setup that will come right off the turbo and be visible on the passenger side. As opposed to the stock N55 type inlet that comes off the turbo, wraps above the engine and goes to the airbox.

Motiv will just customize the tune to run without the MAF sensor which has shown to smooth out engine idle and cruising a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
It's not exactly a part, I basically will just be running a shorter silicon inlet without a MAF sensor, and cone filter setup that will come right off the turbo and be visible on the passenger side. As opposed to the stock N55 type inlet that comes off the turbo, wraps above the engine and goes to the airbox.

Motiv will just customize the tune to run without the MAF sensor which has shown to smooth out engine idle and cruising a lot.
Thanks. Do you have any links that show a mafless n55 running well flash only? Not doubting it is possible but I honestly have never seen a log or heard real world experience of this actually working. Just seen posts that it’s possible. I would love to run mafless so this really interests me.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:46 PM   #13
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Do you have any links that show a mafless n55 running well flash only? Not doubting it is possible but I honestly have never seen a log or heard real world experience of this actually working. Just seen posts that it’s possible. I would love to run mafless so this really interests me.
I've found a couple threads with people claiming to be running mafless successfully with no issues. I know Twisted Tuning has several cars running with that setup flash only (including their own), going to see if I can get any logs from them just for reference. It seems they have been the most vocal on the forums about the setup. Motiv, and Jeff from speedtech seemed to be a fan of it as well, and I'm willing to take their word for it. If I ever wanted to go back to a MAF setup then Jeff said he'd be more than happy to ship me the applicable inlet.

I will be more than happy to post my logs in the next week or two after everything is put back together, and the tune is dialed in

Quick video from twisted https://www.facebook.com/twistedtune...1665834072844/

Random n54tech thread
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45523

*********** thread where twisted discusses in more depth
https://www.***********.com/showthre...Twisted-Tuning
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 05:00 PM   #14
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
I've found a couple threads with people claiming to be running mafless successfully with no issues. I know Twisted Tuning has several cars running with that setup flash only (including their own), going to see if I can get any logs from them just for reference. It seems they have been the most vocal on the forums about the setup. Motiv, and Jeff from speedtech seemed to be a fan of it as well, and I'm willing to take their word for it. If I ever wanted to go back to a MAF setup then Jeff said he'd be more than happy to ship me the applicable inlet.

I will be more than happy to post my logs in the next week or two after everything is put back together, and the tune is dialed in

Random n54tech thread

https://www.***********.com/showthre...Twisted-Tuning
Thanks. I have seen those threads before, none of them tell you or me anything but a bunch of unsubstantiated talk. The n54 thread is running the JB4 which I know is possible. Not being negative; was just hopeful someone posted actual proof that I wasn’t aware of ( like logs and a video racing or going wot). I don’t take any vendors word if they can’t show me proof. A car idling is not proof to me.

My fingers are crossed motiv has done this before and all goes well for you. Looking forward to seeing your car running and your logs.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:50 PM   #15
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Random n54tech thread

https://www.***********.com/showthread.php?87502-Mafless-(speed-density)-N55-tuning-by-Twisted-Tuning
Thanks. I have seen those threads before, none of them tell you or me anything but a bunch of unsubstantiated talk. The n54 thread is running the JB4 which I know is possible. Not being negative; was just hopeful someone posted actual proof that I wasn't aware of ( like logs and a video racing or going wot). I don't take any vendors word if they can't show me proof. A car idling is not proof to me.

My fingers are crossed motiv has done this before and all goes well for you. Looking forward to seeing your car running and your logs.
Yeah I agree there isn't much information out there regarding the MAF delete flash only, however there are more threads out there other than the ones I have linked that share experience (albeit lacking data like you said).

I have a couple real world friends (one with a built N55) who are running great with Motiv, which was why I decided to run with them. Also why I'm willing to put weight into what they tell me. I'll be sure to post logs and provide my experience as promised, good or bad.
Appreciate 1
houtan705.50
      06-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #16
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Getting there next up, rod bearings for good measure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
houtan705.50
      07-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #17
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Decided it's about time to update this thread. Just put the car on the dyno for a long 6hr session with Chris at Motiv and we were able to put down a heft 526 to the wheels on E30!

Running maffless was causing us a lot of issues both on the dyno, and the street. The car was pulling timing on higher boost runs on E30, and was dying after startup. I went and purchased a 3.5 inch MAF housing to use with the speedtech inlet and cone, and it fixed all of those issues. Didn't want to update the thread until that was all figured out for sure.

Will be installing an ethanol sensor, bluetooth analyzer, and -6an fuel line this weekend because ethanol mixture accuracy is a pain!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 02:31 AM   #18
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Hey ghost, what was that tip you got about the maf adapter?

I have something similar i made up a couple of years ago but never got around to installing it, didn't know how to extend the maf connector

Pic attached
Attached Images

07-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #19
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have something similar i made up a couple of years ago but never got around to installing it, didn't know how to extend the maf connector

Pic attached
Hey,

When exploring my options for mounting a MAF, someone who's running my exact same kit recommended I check out Performance MRP. They're a small fabrication company that make very high quality MAF housings for a variety of vehicles. I got their E9x 3.5" diameter housing which fit perfectly between my inlet and cone.

The wiring harness for the MAF did need to be extended about 10 inches. If I were to do it again I would add a few more inches just for the sake of having more slack on the wires. You can extend the wires fairly easily with some butt connectors, and posi locks. Solder will work but the other methods are simpler.

Your housing should work fine as long as the MAF o ring fits well, and you extend the wires
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #20
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 135I

Quote:
Quote:

Pic attached
Hey,

When exploring my options for mounting a MAF, someone who's running my exact same kit recommended I check out Performance MRP. They're a small fabrication company that make very high quality MAF housings for a variety of vehicles. I got their E9x 3.5" diameter housing which fit perfectly between my inlet and cone.

The wiring harness for the MAF did need to be extended about 10 inches. If I were to do it again I would add a few more inches just for the sake of having more slack on the wires. You can extend the wires fairly easily with some butt connectors, and posi locks. Solder will work but the other methods are simpler.

Your housing should work fine as long as the MAF o ring fits well, and you extend the wires
Hey ghost. Can you please share pictures of your engine bay? I wanna see how you did your short filter and if you relocate your coolant tank.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #21
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson413 View Post
Hey ghost. Can you please share pictures of your engine bay? I wanna see how you did your short filter and if you relocate your coolant tank.
Thanks in advance.
Sure here you go, just ran out to take a few. Nothing special really, the average person probably wouldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I actually did not have to relocate the coolant tank, although things are sort of tight, there is just enough room and no issues with anything. I like this cone setup much more than the traditional setup because it gives you so much more room to work, and less things to take apart on the intake side.

I circled in yellow the extended MAF wiring in the one picture so you can see how I routed it. Again, nothing crazy, but I would recommend clocking the MAF sensor towards the back of the car like I did. Originally, I wanted to have it facing the serpentine belt, but it's very tight and rubs on an oil line, and the valve cover that way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #22
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 135I

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson413 View Post
Thanks in advance.
Sure here you go, just ran out to take a few. Nothing special really, the average person probably wouldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I actually did not have to relocate the coolant tank, although things are sort of tight, there is just enough room and no issues with anything. I like this cone setup much more than the traditional setup because it gives you so much more room to work, and less things to take apart on the intake side.

I circled in yellow the extended MAF wiring in the one picture so you can see how I routed it. Again, nothing crazy, but I would recommend clocking the MAF sensor towards the back of the car like I did. Originally, I wanted to have it facing the serpentine belt, but it's very tight and rubs on an oil line, and the valve cover that way.
Thanks for response man. Looks good.
Few more questions if you don't mind. What did you do with that hose that usually goes to intake pipe,right before turbo? I think it's called pcv,where we usually put catch can? And one more question did you replace your bearings? If yes, can you please tell me which one did you get? Cause I'm about to do my bearings and wanna see which ones people use.
Oh and one more where did you get this filter?
Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0