BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2020, 06:48 PM   #67
fly_inverted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe. Mar 2012

a little over a year ago, i did the following
1. New battery - 80ah rated
2. New plugs and coils
3. Adjusted idle speed +75rpm for when car in drive and A/C is on
4. Put in MHD stage 1+ tune
prior to that, i had the lurching/stalling issue.
now, a year on.....the issue is gone.
which of those exactly fixed it i couldn't say but i do suspect the "battery"
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #68
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I think the tunes: PPK, Dinan, MHD, have helped some people. Think it was PPK that worked for me (back in 2011).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 09:54 PM   #69
MalcolmV8
Boosted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Great thread. I was just reading through as my car does exactly this. The surging RPM and slight bucking with AC on when coming to a stop. I've done all the adaptation resets, DME, transmission, clutches etc. Nothing's fixing it. So based on this thread I've reached out to MHD to see if they have a tune to fix it.

Thanks
      05-18-2022, 08:18 AM   #70
MalcolmV8
Boosted
United_States
Rep

MHD got back to me and said they do not have a DCT tune for a 2012 135i. So I guess back to the drawing board.
      05-18-2022, 10:21 AM   #71
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmV8 View Post
MHD got back to me and said they do not have a DCT tune for a 2012 135i. So I guess back to the drawing board.
Xhp has a tune for DCT. Some people have said disabling creep fixes the problem.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2022, 10:24 AM   #72
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

This might be the only permanent fix:

08 Auto 135i to manual last year -followed this guide:

for an E90 335i and the steps were 100% the same minus selecting the e82 (obviously) when doing the coding.

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #73
MalcolmV8
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceway View Post
Xhp has a tune for DCT. Some people have said disabling creep fixes the problem.
Thanks I will reach out to them. I was reading up what you meant by creep and found this:

Enable/Disable Creep
Choose whether your vehicle starts moving/creeping by just releasing the brake, or only when touching the throttle. “Standard” means the flashed file will not get changed. “Enable” let’s the car creep when releasing the brake, “Disable” means the vehicle will only move, when throttle is applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
This might be the only permanent fix:

08 Auto 135i to manual last year -followed this guide:

for an E90 335i and the steps were 100% the same minus selecting the e82 (obviously) when doing the coding.
lol car will be for sale or burned to the ground before going through a stick shift conversion. My wife can't even drive a stick shift so fixing DCT or a new car are my options
      05-19-2022, 09:55 AM   #74
MalcolmV8
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just FYI I reached out to xHP and they said they have no solution or tune that addresses that stumble / surge issue with the DCT.
      05-19-2022, 10:22 AM   #75
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Just FYI I reached out to xHP and they said they have no solution or tune that addresses that stumble / surge issue with the DCT.
I'm curious as to what the BMW tech is doing to get this fixed. Just get the car into the dealer. While it sucks to pay $160 to get this corrected, at least it's fixed. How long? I don't know. It took 3 or so years for me to have to get it done again. Both times the issue was corrected immediately. If your dealer can't figure it out, I can PM you the name of my dealer so they can contact my dealer directly to get the low down on fixing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 10:34 AM   #76
MalcolmV8
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'm curious as to what the BMW tech is doing to get this fixed. Just get the car into the dealer. While it sucks to pay $160 to get this corrected, at least it's fixed. How long? I don't know. It took 3 or so years for me to have to get it done again. Both times the issue was corrected immediately. If your dealer can't figure it out, I can PM you the name of my dealer so they can contact my dealer directly to get the low down on fixing it.
I have a few calls into my local dealer but they really suck. I was at them for about 3 months trying to get my windshield replaced and could never get a hold of anyone that could help me. Left VMs, to this day never a call back. I eventually gave up and went through insurance and got an aftermarket glass installed.

I feel like I'm starting the same process over. SA is not available, they'll call you back, oh he's out on a drive right now. I'll keep at it as I'm running out of options.
      05-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #77
Anon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M-Sport DCT

Quote:
Quote:
See if someone near by is flashed with XHP and has creeping disabled. This fixed all the drivability issues for me. I no longer have to fight and guess what the car trying to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 08:51 PM   #78
MalcolmV8
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon1 View Post
See if someone near by is flashed with XHP and has creeping disabled. This fixed all the drivability issues for me. I no longer have to fight and guess what the car trying to do.
I don't know anyone with the xHP. It might be something to try. Since I still cannot get a hold of a SA or anyone other than the receptionist at my local BMW dealer (nothing new there) I started calling around to some Euro / German shops in the area.

I found one guy who's going to take a look at the car next week for me. He did mention to me that my Foxwell scanner and most of these handhelds at the consumer level don't always do the more complex tasks like transmission adaption reset etc. correctly. He said his proper BMW tool will likely do it correctly and it might be as simple as that. If not he'll have to look it over further.

It got me thinking back in the day when I had my 335xi and I was into modding it I had a USB to ODB2 bmw cable for my laptop and this software INPA, EDIABAS and other tools I can't remember now. I'm going to see if I can get that software working again and maybe use it. It wa a lot more in depth but a lot of it was also in German lol.
      05-25-2022, 07:58 PM   #79
DavidOG05
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
I figure I would just start my own thread on this as I've been pretty vocal about my problems. So I finally got to the point with the drivability issues I got the car into the dealership. The car was literally almost undriveable in the horrid stop and go traffic of DC with the A/C on. Idle stumbling, then surging. With the surge, the car would want to jump forward. You can imagine how this is like when you're stop and go for several miles.

So I got an update from my SA today. Here are the notes the tech put into the system and they think they got it fixed. We'll see. My SA test drove my car with me in it when I dropped it off. I wanted to make sure he knows what I'm dealing with. He wants to test drive my car again to make sure the problem is really gone before releasing it back to me.

VERIFIED CUSTOMER COMPLAINT, TEST DROVE THE CAR
NOTED VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH DCT TRANSMISSION AND SEEMS
LIKE THE STALLING ISSUE IS RELATED TO BOTH ENGINE AND
TRANSMISSION. ATTACHED CHARGER, PERFORMED SHORT TEST, NOTED
UNDERVOLTAGE FAULT PRESENT. RAN "ENERGY DIAGNOSIS" NOTED LOW
STATE OF CHARGE WAS PRESENT FOR 4 DAYS. (NOTE THAT VEHICLE
WILL BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY WITH LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE" RAN "IDLE
SPEED" TEST PLAN AND BUMPED THE IDLE FOR AC AND LOW VOLTAGE
CONDITIONS BY 100RPM. D6121 00ENDIAG 73 507, D6121 00000000
01 901 TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE NOTED STALLING ISSUE IS
RESOLVED BUT VEHICLE STILL SURGES FORWARD. RAN "DCT
TRANSMISSION FLUSHING FUNCTION" AND BLED THE ENTIRE COOLING
LINES. RAN "GEARBOX ADAPTATION TEST PLAN" AND RE ADJUSTED
BOTH TORQUE CHARACTERISTIC AND ALSO TRANSMISSION SLIPPING
POINT. TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE AROUND TO SET A BASE LINE FOR
TRANS AND ENGINE ADAPTATIONS
Great thread
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 07:59 PM   #80
DavidOG05
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAV13 View Post
Went for a nice spirited 55 mile ride this afternoon. While driving I felt that my car drove differently than usual. I just had my car in for the 4yr/45k mile service. During which they replaced the spark plugs, coil packs, performed some additional service items, and addressed my DCT lag. While addressing the lag they "Deleted DME Adaptations" not sure exactly what this means but the car now feels much slower than usual and takes 1-2 seconds to build boost in all gears. The transmission is much smoother now at launch but lost some of the snap when shifting gears. I'm wondering if during this service they somehow deleted my PPK & Dinan tune from the vehicle. Does the software tune live on the DME? I messaged my SA and am waiting to hear back what he has to say. I may bring the car in either Monday/Tuesday morning to have them check and ensure the tune is still there. Changing out the plugs/coils wouldn't cause this would it? Honestly my car now feels neutered from how it went into the shop, like it's spirit is gone. Any suggestions?
While addressing the lag they "Deleted DME Adaptations" not sure exactly what this means but the car now feels much slower than usual and takes 1-2 seconds to build boost in all gears. The transmission is much smoother now at launch but lost some of the snap when shifting gears. I'm wondering if during this service they somehow deleted my PPK & Dinan tune from the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 08:08 PM   #81
DavidOG05
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOG05 View Post
Quote:
I figure I would just start my own thread on this as I've been pretty vocal about my problems. So I finally got to the point with the drivability issues I got the car into the dealership. The car was literally almost undriveable in the horrid stop and go traffic of DC with the A/C on. Idle stumbling, then surging. With the surge, the car would want to jump forward. You can imagine how this is like when you're stop and go for several miles.

So I got an update from my SA today. Here are the notes the tech put into the system and they think they got it fixed. We'll see. My SA test drove my car with me in it when I dropped it off. I wanted to make sure he knows what I'm dealing with. He wants to test drive my car again to make sure the problem is really gone before releasing it back to me.

VERIFIED CUSTOMER COMPLAINT, TEST DROVE THE CAR
NOTED VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH DCT TRANSMISSION AND SEEMS
LIKE THE STALLING ISSUE IS RELATED TO BOTH ENGINE AND
TRANSMISSION. ATTACHED CHARGER, PERFORMED SHORT TEST, NOTED
UNDERVOLTAGE FAULT PRESENT. RAN "ENERGY DIAGNOSIS" NOTED LOW
STATE OF CHARGE WAS PRESENT FOR 4 DAYS. (NOTE THAT VEHICLE
WILL BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY WITH LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE" RAN "IDLE
SPEED" TEST PLAN AND BUMPED THE IDLE FOR AC AND LOW VOLTAGE
CONDITIONS BY 100RPM. D6121 00ENDIAG 73 507, D6121 00000000
01 901 TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE NOTED STALLING ISSUE IS
RESOLVED BUT VEHICLE STILL SURGES FORWARD. RAN "DCT
TRANSMISSION FLUSHING FUNCTION" AND BLED THE ENTIRE COOLING
LINES. RAN "GEARBOX ADAPTATION TEST PLAN" AND RE ADJUSTED
BOTH TORQUE CHARACTERISTIC AND ALSO TRANSMISSION SLIPPING
POINT. TEST DROVE THE VEHICLE AROUND TO SET A BASE LINE FOR
TRANS AND ENGINE ADAPTATIONS
Great thread
Whereby
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 08:09 PM   #82
DavidOG05
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Went for a nice spirited 55 mile ride this afternoon. While driving I felt that my car drove differently than usual. I just had my car in for the 4yr/45k mile service. During which they replaced the spark plugs, coil packs, performed some additional service items, and addressed my DCT lag. While addressing the lag they "Deleted DME Adaptations" not sure exactly what this means but the car now feels much slower than usual and takes 1-2 seconds to build boost in all gears. The transmission is much smoother now at launch but lost some of the snap when shifting gears. I'm wondering if during this service they somehow deleted my PPK & Dinan tune from the vehicle. Does the software tune live on the DME? I messaged my SA and am waiting to hear back what he has to say. I may bring the car in either Monday/Tuesday morning to have them check and ensure the tune is still there. Changing out the plugs/coils wouldn't cause this would it? Honestly my car now feels neutered from how it went into the shop, like it's spirit is gone. Any suggestions?
While addressing the lag they "Deleted DME Adaptations" not sure exactly what this means but the car now feels much slower than usual and takes 1-2 seconds to build boost in all gears. The transmission is much smoother now at launch but lost some of the snap when shifting gears. I'm wondering if during this service they somehow deleted my PPK & Dinan tune from the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 08:10 PM   #83
DavidOG05
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 08:12 PM   #84
DavidOG05
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 04:31 AM   #85
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

Not sure i have this problem anymore after the update, or atleast i'll find out again when the cars back on the road for the summer. They changed the battery, spark plugs and updated the ZBfile to the newest revision.

Only present when the AC was in use and looking back through the service history on the vehicle it's been taken into the main dealer to investigate the same issue during the summer months over multiple owners.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 07:51 AM   #86
MalcolmV8
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy5000 View Post
Not sure i have this problem anymore after the update, or atleast i'll find out again when the cars back on the road for the summer. They changed the battery, spark plugs and updated the ZBfile to the newest revision.

Only present when the AC was in use and looking back through the service history on the vehicle it's been taken into the main dealer to investigate the same issue during the summer months over multiple owners.
Which update specifically are you referring too? Also what is the ZBfile that was updated to the newest version?
      05-31-2022, 01:38 PM   #87
Windy5000
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 135i N55

Quote:
Which update specifically are you referring too? Also what is the ZBfile that was updated to the newest version?
I believe the ZBfile is the throttle adaptation.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 07:47 PM   #88
MalcolmV8
Boosted
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy5000 View Post
I believe the ZBfile is the throttle adaptation.
Is that something the dealer updated for you?