BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #1
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Exclamation Cruise control sometimes not working? Spirited driving?

Okay, I've been able to reproduce at least twice now. I go for a spirited drive, take some less spirited roads for a mile or two, get to this one particular stop sign, gun it onto the road to about 50-60mph and then decide to engage cruise control because it's a long straight road.

Cruise control works for about 1-2 seconds then goes off. No warning lights, no alarms, just stops engaging, and you don't even realize it turned off until you see you're slowing down. You can try to turn it back on 50 times and it'll do the same behavior for quite a while. Usually I don't have any roads to test it on for the rest of the drive home so I don't know what the deal is. This really only happens after certain roads I go driving on. It's rarely an issue but it's rather frustrating and I'd like to know the reason at least!

Only other time I've had this kind of behavior happen is when I have it in drive, am going up hill, no sport mode, and try to engage at 70-80mph. It starts to notice it's decelerating too quickly after I let off the throttle and decides to not bother. Or maybe it notices it takes like 35%+ throttle to maintain speed and that's too high for cruise control? If I turn on sport mode, it sometimes works then. (bmw, amirite?)

Any thoughts? My Googling is giving me a bunch of results for honda civics even though I'm searching for BMW... even if I do forum search here, not much on this particular issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Level3
1/2 Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 e92 ZCP

Garage List
You don't have DTC turned off right? CC won't work with DTC off.
      03-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level3 View Post
You don't have DTC turned off right? CC won't work with DTC off.
99% chance this is it...

Edit: Also, to explain why: the system will not allow you to use cruise control with traction control limited or off in the event the tires spin. If the tires were to start spinning and the car decreased in speed, the cruise control would try to increase the tire speed to get the car up to the selected MPH, which is incredibly dangerous. As an example: driving in the rain with DTC off and CC on could cause the tires to slip while simply going uphill, leading to the car trying to go faster and then losing control.
      03-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Don't know if this is related, but I report it for your information.

I was having an issue with the cruise control on my 2013 135i 6MT Coupe. The car would be in cruise control and would intermittently shut off the cruise control usually preceded by a sub-second flash of the error light indicating a loss of traction. This would happen on the freeway and on 2 lane roads at speeds between maybe 60 and 85 mph. It didn't happen all the time, and it happened on clear dry roads when I knew and felt there was no issue with the traction.

I mentioned this on my most recent servicing of the car, about a month ago, and the SA told me when I returned to get the car that there was a service bulletin about a problem with the cruise control on my car and that there was a "flash" out to correct it, which they had applied. I have put about 200 - 250 miles on the car since the service visit and did not notice the prior problem when I used the cruise control, however I may not have driven it enough to have gotten the problem given the intermittent nature of it.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

It's probably DTC, but maybe there's something up with your brake pedal or brake lights. Maybe after spirited driving and hard braking, the pedal doesn't return all the way back to the original position. It only takes a few millimeters of brake travel to trigger the brake lights and cancel the cruise, so maybe the brake pedal is "sagging" a bit. You could have someone follow behind you and watch the lights when it happens to see if there's anything to this theory.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
It's probably DTC, but maybe there's something up with your brake pedal or brake lights. Maybe after spirited driving and hard braking, the pedal doesn't return all the way back to the original position. It only takes a few millimeters of brake travel to trigger the brake lights and cancel the cruise, so maybe the brake pedal is "sagging" a bit. You could have someone follow behind you and watch the lights when it happens to see if there's anything to this theory.
I keep DTC on while driving aggressively around here even. The roads I'm on, DTC does more good than bad.

Your idea about the brake light sounds interesting. I'll look into that. I suspected something similar but it seemed remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Don't know if this is related, but I report it for your information.

I was having an issue with the cruise control on my 2013 135i 6MT Coupe. The car would be in cruise control and would intermittently shut off the cruise control usually preceded by a sub-second flash of the error light indicating a loss of traction. This would happen on the freeway and on 2 lane roads at speeds between maybe 60 and 85 mph. It didn't happen all the time, and it happened on clear dry roads when I knew and felt there was no issue with the traction.

I mentioned this on my most recent servicing of the car, about a month ago, and the SA told me when I returned to get the car that there was a service bulletin about a problem with the cruise control on my car and that there was a "flash" out to correct it, which they had applied. I have put about 200 - 250 miles on the car since the service visit and did not notice the prior problem when I used the cruise control, however I may not have driven it enough to have gotten the problem given the intermittent nature of it.

Hope this helps.

Hmm, I'll have to see about that too. Jeez.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Just an update: I haven’t really experienced this much in a long time. I also am not driving as insanely but also it just doesn’t happen from my memory.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post
Just an update: I haven’t really experienced this much in a long time. I also am not driving as insanely but also it just doesn’t happen from my memory.
Quote:
Maybe your brake are slightly sticking because of the heat?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:25 PM   #9
TridenTBoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Just started happening again. Bled the brakes clean and then went off to do some aggressive braking.

I'm gonna guess something to do with braking really hard causes it to stop working for a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Just started happening again. Bled the brakes clean and then went off to do some aggressive braking.

I'm gonna guess something to do with braking really hard causes it to stop working for a while.
Maybe it has to do with the active brake thing that pre-tensions the brake pedal? Possible the computer is getting confused? Idk...
Appreciate 0