BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #23
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by debadgedbmw1 View Post
I was considering a depot option from them or **********s. However, I have been strongly recommended not to convert my oem halogens from BMW dealership as they have seen electrical issues.
There aren't many options for those with halogen lights. If it were me, I would still go with depos, but make sure I keep the OEM halogen lights and every single component that goes along with them. If anything ever happens, you can always go back to stock.

The BMW OEM Xenon lights are $800+ per side, plus you need a $400 xenon control until per side... plus you need one low beam bulb per side ($160 / pair, probably more through the dealership). It's a big pain.

The depo lights are much cheaper, and while they'll void your headlight warranty, you wouldn't get a warranty on a non-BMW part anyway. The biggest deal with the headlight warranty is for people who already have xenons, and then put in new angel eyes and incorrectly seal the enclosure, and mess up their $800+ headlights, and then want the dealership to fix their mistakes.

If you want non-halogen lights, OEM and Depo/Sonar/Bavarian are the options out there. The dealership won't like the aftermarket route, but even if something happens, you can always go back to halogen and not have wasted thousands of dollars.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #24
07'335iAlpine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i M-Sport

New Lights

First of all, Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. I ended up going with the LUX H8 v3 and i must say im am very content with them. Definately worth the money, i do have one question for others that have these (or Marc@LUX if he reads this) Install is a pain in the ass, LOL. still worth it though took me about 30 minutes. most of that time was taking off and putting back on the backcaps off the headlights.(Way easier taking them off than putting them back on). They look great and are exactly what i wanted but the X5 2012 on my moms are still alot brighter same color just alot brighter and more visible in the day. My question to anyone with these or MARC@LUX for that matter. When i turned my car i notice that the lights flash one by one RR LL RR LL one time R one time L. i attributed to normal as i shut off then started again. several times back to back and it did it consistently the same. IS this Normal? I mean its not so bad but i hadn't heard of this being a characteristic of these @ startup. However on with the light switch turned on to AUTO headlights it doesnt do it. but i never leave that on. i prefer switching my lights from Daytime running to the night-time on my own. Any info would be appreciated. Again i don't mind it, but it be nice if they didn't do that flicker process upon startup.

Jacob
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #25
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edogg218 View Post
Has anyone tried either the bulbs or LEDs from BMS?
I've tried the bulb (arc angels). not very good.

I ended up getting LED's from ebay. Very happy with them for the price.

Ebay LED with strong direct sunlight
Name:  IMG_2044a.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  126.4 KB

Ebay Led in daylight with sun from behind
Name:  IMG_2046a.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  114.3 KB

Last edited by DTNJNQ; 11-05-2011 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #26
Robink
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i DCT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
I've tried the bulb (arc angels). not very good.

I ended up getting LED's from ebay. Very happy with them for the price.

Ebay LED with strong direct sunlight
Attachment 603964

Ebay Led in daylight with sun from behind
Attachment 603965
Those look great! Link to Ebay please?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #27
denfion
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Which ebay LED?? how much did you pay?
      11-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #28
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I bought them from a seller named etopauction however, they don't appear to sell them any longer. See link below

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-9W-H8-C...item1e66fee1f6

Name:  led.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  96.2 KB
Name:  led1.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  95.0 KB

They were about $35 including postage, almost 1/10th of the price of the LUX H8 Led. Had them for 2 months and no problems.

Here are a few more sellers that are selling the same ones:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-9W-H8-C...item564693632c

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-9W-H8-C...item564693632c

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-9W-H8-C...item19ca6115a8

Last edited by DTNJNQ; 11-06-2011 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 03:03 AM   #29
Robink
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i DCT Sport

Ok cool thanks. I read that the LED types throw errors but maybe it is limited to LCI type cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #30
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edogg218 View Post
Has anyone tried either the bulbs or LEDs from BMS?
I have the BMS Arc angel white bulbs in my car right now. I think they are awesome for the price! Alot whiter than OEM. I still plan to switch over to LUX angel eyes eventually but for right now they are good.
      11-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #31
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerE82 View Post
I have the BMS Arc angel white bulbs in my car right now. I think they are awesome for the price! Alot whiter than OEM. I still plan to switch over to LUX angel eyes eventually but for right now they are good.
I wasn't happy at all with the BMS Arc angel bulbs. The ebay LED were the same price and alot whiter and brighter.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #32
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

^^ I think if you go with LEDs, you run the risk of getting something that barely shows up in the daytime unless you get LUX bulbs. And even in that case, it wouldn't show up as well as stock, depos, or HIDs. Weisslicht used to be pretty popular around here and seemed decently bright, but I haven't heard anything about them in a while. Everything else LED seems to be kind of a gamble. Different people always seem to get different results. For me, I was never able to get my MTEC bulbs to ever look as good or white on my car as on anybody else's. It's all so annoying, that's why I went with HIDs, but even then, the V2 kit had problems.

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #33
duc999s
Rep
Drives: 08 SGM 135i

I went with the same LED AE's that DTNJNQ got.

No error code so far, parts actually looked pretty decent quality. Time will tell.

The metal housing that the AE bulbs go into seemed to move around more than I was expecting, is this normal for these cars? Oh and f*%k that passenger side headlight housing, what a pain to get back on.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #34
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc999s View Post
I went with the same LED AE's that DTNJNQ got.

No error code so far, parts actually looked pretty decent quality. Time will tell.

The metal housing that the AE bulbs go into seemed to move around more than I was expecting, is this normal for these cars? Oh and f*%k that passenger side headlight housing, what a pain to get back on.
What do they look like? Are they as bright as mine?

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #35
duc999s
Rep
Drives: 08 SGM 135i

Quote:
What do they look like? Are they as bright as mine?
I haven't had them out in the direct sunlight like your photos above, but I'll try and get a quick picture of them for comparison.

I wasn't really worried about how noticeable they are in sunlight, I was mostly concerned about getting something that looked close to the same temperature as the headlights. These seem to match almost perfectly.

Overall, I am pretty happy with them so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #36
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

Coming from someone that has tried MANY different bulbs/ LED setups, nothing compares to the LUX. Yeah, they cost more, but they are expensive for a reason as they are built with top grade material. They are visible during direct sunlight, but not as much as the alpine HID kits, but the LUX looks more stock and well defined in the outer rings than the Alpine kit. I was going to give the alpine kit a try, but Alex seems to be out of the pre-drilled caps and never got back to me, so I'm sticking with the LUX since Marc(LUX) has always been there for customer support. The Alpine kit is great in person, I just wish the outer ring was brighter because with this kit, the inner ring is really bright. It kinda looks mismatched.
      11-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #37
Mr. Nice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i / B6 A4

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [6.38]
2005 Audi A4  [5.50]
Ya I have lux as well, they just seemed like the best overall option. No drilling or having to buy pre drilled caps, everything tucks inside the housing, good ring definition, could be a little brighter in the daytime but still visible, great product overall. BMW's design of these angel eyes is garbage, you can't expect anything to get you close to the new models without shelling out a out of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #38
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1524 View Post
Coming from someone that has tried MANY different bulbs/ LED setups, nothing compares to the LUX. Yeah, they cost more, but they are expensive for a reason as they are built with top grade material. They are visible during direct sunlight, but not as much as the alpine HID kits, but the LUX looks more stock and well defined in the outer rings than the Alpine kit. I was going to give the alpine kit a try, but Alex seems to be out of the pre-drilled caps and never got back to me, so I'm sticking with the LUX since Marc(LUX) has always been there for customer support. The Alpine kit is great in person, I just wish the outer ring was brighter because with this kit, the inner ring is really bright. It kinda looks mismatched.
That used to be the case. But as the cloners learn more about the angel eye design, they are adjusting the design of their bulbs as such.

Take those bulbs above for example. I have to be honest here, they look brighter than my LUX bulbs during they day from those pics. And more whiter.

I have LUX H8 V3, but I am seriously considering buying those ones linked above off eBay as they appear to be brighter than LUX during the day.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #39
Riley1524
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
That used to be the case. But as the cloners learn more about the angel eye design, they are adjusting the design of their bulbs as such.

Take those bulbs above for example. I have to be honest here, they look brighter than my LUX bulbs during they day from those pics. And more whiter.

I have LUX H8 V3, but I am seriously considering buying those ones linked above off eBay as they appear to be brighter than LUX during the day.
You also have to remember that a picture doesn't represent the actual output of light. I bought a ebay led kit a long time ago when I first bought the car, while they showed up great in a picture, they absolutely sucked in person. Maybe the ones your looking at are better, but I wouldn't count on it. Let us know how they compare to the lux for sure if you do.
      11-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #40
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I really want these but apperantly all the brands some how has a certain problem
I wish bmw did it for us in 2012 model saw we can buy the parts like we did for the tail lights
      11-12-2011, 04:07 AM   #41
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I've got the ebay ones. No problems and they are very bright in person not only on photos. They don't suck at all.

I've compared them with GP Thunder bulbs which I previously had and they are alot brighter and whiter. Haven't compared them with Lux H8 so I can't say whether they are as good. From photos I've seen of the Lux H8 they don't look any brighter. And for about 10 times the price I don't believe they are 10 times better.

I've also seen the Alpines in person and from what I can remember (haven't done a side by side comparison) the ebay leds I've got appear to be about the same brightness.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #42
Riley1524
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've got the ebay ones. No problems and they are very bright in person not only on photos. They don't suck at all.

I've compared them with GP Thunder bulbs which I previously had and they are alot brighter and whiter. Haven't compared them with Lux H8 so I can't say whether they are as good. From photos I've seen of the Lux H8 they don't look any brighter. And for about 10 times the price I don't believe they are 10 times better.

I've also seen the Alpines in person and from what I can remember (haven't done a side by side comparison) the ebay leds I've got appear to be about the same brightness.
Looking at the design of the Ebay led kit, it looks just like the ones I had back in the day...The LED's in the kit didn't line up to the reflector in the headlight at all, even after adjusting the position and while they were ok, they just wasn't bright enough for my taste. If your happy with them, that's all that matters
      11-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #43
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1524 View Post
Looking at the design of the Ebay led kit, it looks just like the ones I had back in the day...The LED's in the kit didn't line up to the reflector in the headlight at all, even after adjusting the position and while they were ok, they just wasn't bright enough for my taste. If your happy with them, that's all that matters
From the pics you clearly cannot compare the brightness output to those of the earlier eBay models.

These are probably much brighter as suggested by the 9W output and therefore angling doesn't matter as much as the others which are weaker lumen output
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #44
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
StealthAuto

Has anyone tried the LED angle eyes from StealthAuto? I used buy all my light upgrades for my 325 & 328 from them. Looks like they have LEDs, but I don't know the Mfg...price looks good.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0