BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #155
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheezy View Post
I used this write-up to access mine:

http://e90.wetpaint.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

I couldn't find it in the iDrive technique so I used the normal one.
thanks for the link....i was having problems with my camera but i did write down the software version on my car (it was re-flashed a few weeks ago for long cranks). I'm pretty sure this is the most current version out:

A3.45.82

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #156
Top Gon
Bashar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
thanks for the link....i was having problems with my camera but i did write down the software version on my car (it was re-flashed a few weeks ago for long cranks). I'm pretty sure this is the most current version out:

A3.45.82

Thanks for looking that up. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the dealer even though my car is running fine
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #157
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheezy View Post
Thanks for looking that up. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the dealer even though my car is running fine
if your car is running fine, i'd recommend waiting to get the new software until you have long cranks or worse. there's more turbo lag with the new software, and while it does improve gas mileage and helps out with the hpfp problem, i miss the old software.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #158
Top Gon
Bashar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
if your car is running fine, i'd recommend waiting to get the new software until you have long cranks or worse. there's more turbo lag with the new software, and while it does improve gas mileage and helps out with the hpfp problem, i miss the old software.
ooh interesting. I actually called my local dealer today and asked them if I can get the new software, but they told me if there's nothing wrong with the car then BMW wont cover it and I'd have to pay like $179 for it. So I was like no thanks I'll wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #159
dunny
BMW/Mopar Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Things have improved over the past few days for my 1er. After 200 miles on the new software/pump I took it to the local drag strip to see what it would do. In the Cincy 90+ heat and humidity I was able to run a little quicker/faster than my previous trip to the track last fall (in 70 degree weather). Best ET of the night was a 13.7, best trap was 101.6mph. Previous best was 13.8@99. With all runs my problem has been the launch and 60' time.....which is always around a 2.2. I'm coming from many years of FWD racing on slicks so RWD with crappy run flats is challenging for me. I'm going to head to another local track tomorrow evening to see if I can get that time down any more with better traction and cooler air. Hoping for mid 13's @103.

On the street it is also less laggy, and the mid range has restored itself a bit. I still notice 4th gear is a bit lacking between 3k-4.5k, but it does seem to be improved. MPG is still the same that I saw before the change, 23-23.5MPG.

As it sits now, I'm happy with the way it is running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunny View Post
I'll add my results to this thread......

My HPFP was replaced last week, along with a DSC module, taillights, and the new software update. I had been getting long cranks for 6 weeks, and "limp mode" happening twice.

They had to flash my ECU/software 3 times total due to the DSC module not responding. After replacing that part it was able to complete without any problems.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with the performance and driveability. This isn't in my head either, it is very easy to tell how much slower it is and how it doesn't "pull" hard at all. I seriously feel like the 328xi I just turned back in pulled harder. Here are the details:
  • Fuel pump is priming when unlocking, and the car starts without any long cranks.
  • Engine seems to run smoother overall, and quieter (yes, I saw someone else post that and I can agree that the exhaust seems to be quieter).
  • I don't notice any difference in how it idles. Starts at 800-1k when cold, then settles to 650-700 RPMS once it warms up.
  • Power from 1k-3.5k is smooth and acceptable. I would say this area has remained the same if not slightly improved.
  • Power from 3.5k-7k is flat, as if there are no turbos. I've done several 3rd gear pulls and the results are always the same. As others have said, the power doesn't hit hard like it used to.
  • MPG is roughly the same. I was getting 23.5MPG before the update, and it seems to be exactly that with the update. My normal commute is mixed, and I shift at 3k RPMS most of the time, and I always get at least 23MPG.

I really hope it can adapt to the new software. I see some of you posted better results after driving it for a few weeks. Mine has 200 miles on the new software already and I don't see any difference yet. I will be emailing my SA to at least provide feedback and let them know that it seems down on power.

I love the car, and had an amazing trip to Germany to pick it up......but I'm starting to question if keeping it is worth the hassle.
'20 X3M / '09 135i M-Sport / '91 318i
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #160
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Mine seems to have adapted as well, and appears to be back to it's old form.
Only issue I still have is it does take longer to start than it used to. I'll call them extended cranks,..not LONG cranks yet, but very close. Used to fire up on the first crank.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #161
dunny
BMW/Mopar Junkie
United_States
Rep

Got some decent runs in tonight. Temps were mid 80's with 50% humidity. Went to the best local track (kilkare in xenia, ohio) for traction. 13.38 @ 102.89mph with a 2.0 60' time, 20psi air in the tires, all stock. I was happy with those numbers, and at this point I'm the limiting factor of getting a better time. The car was running solid, pulling well through the gears. I'd say it's all good for now.....software/pump working just fine. I may go back once the weather cools down and shoot for 1.9x 60' times and low low 13's.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #162
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
Mine seems to have adapted as well, and appears to be back to it's old form.
Only issue I still have is it does take longer to start than it used to. I'll call them extended cranks,..not LONG cranks yet, but very close. Used to fire up on the first crank.
i was having similar problems, even after the software update. i tried something out that i've read about on this website: put the key in, press start but without pressing the clutch. after 5 or 6 seconds i'll press it again w/ the clutch depressed and it always fires right up on the first or second crank.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #163
EINS
Simply One Great Car!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM Coupe

Garage List
2008 E82 / 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
i was having similar problems, even after the software update. i tried something out that i've read about on this website: put the key in, press start but without pressing the clutch. after 5 or 6 seconds i'll press it again w/ the clutch depressed and it always fires right up on the first or second crank.
This has not worked for me.

Something new. I was out of town for one night and when I started the 1 tonight it idled like total $hit for nearly 20 seconds before the ECU could smooth it out. No DTC yet but BMW really needs to fix this crap. My 1 is 2 years old with 25K miles and has the original pump.
      07-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #164
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep

Wonder what these "extended cranks" are going to do to the life of the starter motor?
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #165
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

So.... how do you guys acess that hidden pc menu? maybe we can get a thread going where we can post our SW versions & production build dates and IF any updates were ever done?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #166
dunny
BMW/Mopar Junkie
United_States
Rep

Mine is starting on the first/second crank. I did notice yesterday when I got home and parked it after the track I heard the "buzzing" noise again.....under the hood, it makes a strange buzz after turning it off. Lasts a minute or two. I noticed that back when the pump began to fail, but I'm not sure what it is or if it matters.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #167
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

HPFP Puma Case required

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
HPFP #943 is the new pump....#933 is the old #880 pump being rebuilt by BMW and calling it #933 go figure...
4 months now, car runs perfect, car has started on the 1st crank every time since my car crapped out in late Feb!!!! I am very pleased for the time being
2007 335i- I am on my second HPFP part#881 n two days ago car went into limp mode and service engine soon light appeared..so i figured here we go again..drove home in limp mode..then woke up next morning getting ready to get it towed to the dealer..but I couldnt resist starting it..car ran like crap for a min limp mode "yellow half engine symbol" and SES light..then I got on the gas and a min later the car starting running normal "half engine light went away" but SES remained..decided to take it for a really aggressive drive and 30 mins later the SES lite disappeared..like nothing had every happened..

I still drove it to the dealer who immediately told me I need to update to E89X-10-03-504 v37.xx. I had one of the first softwares v23.1 as my car is 9/2006 build and I never update b/c my car was a beast with the old software..but oh well i guess i couldnt avoid it forever. Hopefully the car doesnt run like crap w this new software.

I told em i also wanted the HPFP changed..and he explain now BMW has to submit a PUMA case to get approvals for all HPFP swaps..I knew about this already and I think it stinks..seems they just wanna update software to mask the real problem the HPFP..and BMW wants to control costs so they will do anything and everything to avoid swapping out the HPFP..

U can see here in this TSB.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B130309g.htm

So i spoke to the SA today they only updated the software no HPFP replacement..and I told him I want to see the detailed report showing all the fault codes, he mentioned I had misfire code but nothing related to HPFP...u will excuse me if I dont trust him..

I am gonna run down the list of fault codes on my car and compare to the PUMA case study report..if i have any of these codes listed I am gonna make a stink and tell him I want them open a PUMA case and replace my HPFP..lets see what happens..Here is the PUMA case study with all the fault codes..

__puma.bmwgroup.com_puma_measure_get.do_oid=32279916&link[1].pdf

Last edited by tibra1; 08-24-2010 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #168
franch01
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
Got the car back, and yep,..def feel about a full second lag when jumping on it in 2nd and 3rd.
Power doesn't feel quite as immediate.

Also,..I may be imagining this, but does anyone else think their exhaust got quieter after this?

Called my SA after driving the car home, he told me to call BMW customer relations and explain it to them. I do understand that the local guys hands are tied by BMW corporate, so I didnt rag on them. My dealers service dept actually seems pretty good.
Just purchased an 09 Bmw 135i with 7k miles about 3 weeks ago. Returned car yesterday for an unrelated issue and BMW performed the reflash that this forums has been talking about.

Indeed my car seems less 'punchy' as it did a few days ago BEFORE the reflash and I'd have to agree with Esmallstii above that my exhaust seems quieter too.

It's one of the reasons I joined this forum to see what others are saying about these issues and I was surprised to see another member comment about the same observations that I'm having.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #169
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

how is this upgrade performed? just a download via USB cable or does the service guys have to open up the ECU? just wondering since i may take my JB3 out and get this update..
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #170
HIPSI
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My Experience

I took mine in for HPFP two weeks ago... First they did the reflash, then 4 days later had to replace due to failure.

After picking it up post install/update, I almost went back to the dealer. For a good two days it felt very sluggish and fuel mileage was noticeably down. I decided to give it a tank-full before going back, and that time period seemingly did the trick. Much more responsive (like norm) and fuel milage is back to what I'm accustomed to.

If you get the reflash/update, give it time to adapt...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #171
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by romak47 View Post
how is this upgrade performed? just a download via USB cable or does the service guys have to open up the ECU? just wondering since i may take my JB3 out and get this update..
they update the software through the OBD-II port under teh driver's side of the dashboard. i left my jb3 on map 0 and they updated my software again. apparently i had a recall out on the software version i received in june for hpfp issues. regardless, jb3 on map 0 was fine to receive software update
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #172
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Just for the record, my mpg has not improved one bit.
Power felt soft after the flash. It improved a little, just a bit, but overall my 135i does not feel as powerful as before.
I had occasional long cranks, but nothing serious and no HPFP failure.
There was one very big misfire and it triggered a code.
That's it.

I'm not a fan of the latest "greatest" software update.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #173
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPSI View Post
I took mine in for HPFP two weeks ago... First they did the reflash, then 4 days later had to replace due to failure.

After picking it up post install/update, I almost went back to the dealer. For a good two days it felt very sluggish and fuel mileage was noticeably down. I decided to give it a tank-full before going back, and that time period seemingly did the trick. Much more responsive (like norm) and fuel milage is back to what I'm accustomed to.

If you get the reflash/update, give it time to adapt...
That's great. Glad it worked out.

One thing I observed before, related to the software update, is that it seems those who had the HPFP replaced AND had the software update, seem happy with their now fixed car.
But, it probably stands to reason that if you had a faulty HPFP your car wasn't running too well before the failure. So, with a new pump and new software everything is now better, and maybe better than ever.

However, those of us who received just an update appear to have mixed results with how our cars perform.
My SA told me that my fault code was related to fuel, and if it were up to him he would replace the pump. But BMW wouldn't allow it and said just to do the software.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #174
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

JB3 Owners Beware!

OK, guys get this! I take my car into the dealership for the seatbelt tensioner replacement, and trim removal callback. Since I am paranoid about the JB3 being in the car, whenever it it going to be at the BMW dealer, I had decided to remove it. Good thing I did.

I call to see if my car is ready. The SA says he is sorry to inform me I have a nail in one of my tires and do I want it repaired? since I have non RFT Mchelin PS2s on the car I said yes definately.

2 hours later I decide to drop in at the dealership to check on my car, and the SA says since they have many 1 series cars coming in, they won't be able to do it today. Hmm, I think, why did they even bother schedule me for today then?

Then as I am sitting there, the Team Leader Service Technician comes over to tell the SA that a car won't be able to get to the software update today. I come to discover he is talking about my car. WTF?? I say "software update? What software update, I wasn't informed of any software update?" The SA sits there like he's been caught there with his hand in the cookie jar. As I talk with the Service Tech, he explains that if there is a software update issued for any car, they are doing it, while the cars are in for other reasons, and asks me if I would rather wait, and do it later. I tell him to go ahead, and that I knew this was happening to other 1 series cars so lets do it. I am just POed that they were going to do it without ever informing me. The more I think about it, the more pissed I am getting. (Just a bastard in a basket) The SA never apoligized for lack of informing me. (Just a bastard in a basket). He does apoligize for telling me my tire had a nail in it when in fact it never did. Gee, thanks.

If I had left the JB3 in there, there is no doubt that it would have been detected. Lesson learned. If the dealer has anyones car, be aware that BMW could and may do things that you don't know or may not know about beforehand.

Anyway, since my car will have the updated ECU flash, and other software elements, it will no doubt change they way the fuel pump is reacting on startup. It may be awhile before I know if the JB3 is having any untoward effects with the pump. The Service Tech also said that the new software will correct the way it detects low pressure on startup, and that CELs won't pop up as easily as before.

I am tempted to put it back in, soon after I get the car back. I guess I will let the ECU adapt to its new setting. Does anyone know if the new software update affects in any way the future detectability of it by BMW?

I will update my opinions on the new software later.
      09-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #175
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
JB3 Owners Beware!
Sorry to hear of your experience, really perplexes me how a dealer can perform such a thing without even alerting you of it.

As far as the JB3 in there, there was a member here that recently reported he had his JB3 on Map 0 when he brought the car to the dealer and they still updated his full software without any detection. Makes sense as Map 0 is simply a pass-through.

I personally am like you and even if it is a regular oil change I take it out just to be on the safe side. In this economy, if the dealer CAN void warranty, he most likely WILL!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #176
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSchnitzel View Post
+1

I took my car in this weekend for service. Apparently the whole car needed to get re-flashed. I'm hoping the car is still learning as of right now because it feels like a slouch. Very linear power delivery w/o the punch of full boost. Not a happy BMW owner right now.

Anyone else with the most recent re-flash have any observations?
If had the same observations and they told me several times they only updated the software of the radion, however when I asked if I could have the report on what they all did they then told me that a few other changes werre required by bmw and they didn't specify what those changes were except they said they changed something so to increase fuel economy however my MPG's have gone down not up since. and my performance has changed as well, the car is less powerful more lenear because the took out the strong powerband from 2500-4k rpms...so my car sucks, not the car I purchased...