BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
nyklus
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw 128i

2010 bmw 128i Defective radio?

So every time I open, turn on, drive my car, listen to the radio, I can hear a constant chirp and low pitch whine through my speakers (can’t hear whining when playing music) only way to comepletely make it go away is to completely disconnect the radio. This constant chirp happens continually, every 2 seconds apart or so with a low pitch whine or sometimes simply you can hear the speakers are on as if the volume was high but their not. This happens for as long as the car is awake. When I park the car after a drive I turn it off, exit the car and lock it with the fob, the car will go into sleep mode after a minute or so and the noise will go away, but if I keep coming back opening the doors or the trunk the car will remain awake, I know this because the start stop engine button remains lit for as long as the car is awake it and so are the speakers, won’t go back into sleep mode unless I leave it alone for a long time so this Radio issue ends up killing the battery if I keep bothering the car and then it won’t start. I’ve decided to disconnect the radio completely, it’s the only way to keep from killing the battery. Also the aux port isn’t working either, I get no sound out of it when I plug my phone and set the radio on aux mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
nyklus
Rep

Also there’s a cable inside the radio with a little red light, every time the light blinks the speakers chirp.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyklus View Post
Also there’s a cable inside the radio with a little red light, every time the light blinks the speakers chirp.
I don't have chirping, but I have a white noise that comes out of the speakers constantly as long as the car is on.

I haven't had time to start looking but I'm thinking an amp issue.

Your issue however doesn't seem as related with the chirping. Unfortunately, getting the radio out is a PITA to check for loose bad wiring. You may want to start at the amp and work your way forward.
      05-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
nyklus
Rep

Thanks for replying! Sorry to hear you have a similar issue, and btw where it exactly is the amp? I will start there.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
nyklus
Rep

Well after some digging I ordered a new radio. Same part number as mine, installed it and gthe same problem persisted, also couldn't even get the volume to go up very high it was really really low. So I started digging took the trunk apart and found I have no amp... there's nothing in the left side corner of the car right by the tail light... nothing at all... I had seen pictures where the factory amp was located but there's absolutely nothing there. Only thing I found was a Mulf module for I guess Bluetooth and mic in middle of the trunk when the carpet is removed, the headunit has only the input for the antenna of the car but not for Bluetooth although the Bluetooth pink looking connector is present in the wiring behind the head unit along with the actual head unit main power connector and antenna connector but no option to connect the pink Bluetooth one.

Last edited by nyklus; 05-15-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 12:42 AM   #6
nyklus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyklus View Post
Also there's a cable inside the radio with a little red light, every time the light blinks the speakers chirp.
I don't have chirping, but I have a white noise that comes out of the speakers constantly as long as the car is on.

I haven't had time to start looking but I'm thinking an amp issue.

Your issue however doesn't seem as related with the chirping. Unfortunately, getting the radio out is a PITA to check for loose bad wiring. You may want to start at the amp and work your way forward.
Solved. The most fiber optical loop female connector under the steering wheel was missing.
Appreciate 0