BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X5 M-Sport / Space Gray

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Edjamucate me / Clear Bra, Paint Protection Film - How does this "protect"

So I've been thinking about the clear bra paint protection film concept. This seems to be all at the rage with new cars these days. Before I go out and pay 300-500 bucks for a plastic sticker set...

How does this really "protect" your paint? If a rock lands on your hood it's gonna dent regardless if you have a thin plastic film or not. You remove the film and the dent is still there?

Is the idea to remove the film and replace with a new layer as it absorbs these nicks and dents over the years?

I also see other apparant concerns:

- All the examples I have seen of the installed film seem to come up at the edges, It's never really perfect at the edges.

- What is the long term affects? Seems to me as your paint fades, you'r gonna see a difference between protected and bare areas. (red paint for example)

- How long do these things really last after repeated washing and waxing?

- These films are not suitable with Carnuba wax due to the discoloration or yellowing?! thats crazy

The film looks ok sitting in a showroom, but what are the real world experiences.

thoughts?

:iono:
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 02:06 AM   #2
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

- The film protects against paint chips. It won't protect against dings and dents. I'm talking about the kinds of chips you get from tiny little pebbles hitting your car at high speed on the highway. Even the most carefully driven car will end up with them on the front bumper after a while. The clear bra on front facing surfaces pretty much eliminates them.

- If it is installed incorrectly, it will look bad. It's very important to find a good installer. It will make worlds of difference.

- Paint fades mainly due to sunlight. Since the film is clear, the paint should fade at the same rate. I'm not sure if the film blocks UV light or not. Either way, you should be using a wax with UV blockers in it.

- They should last for the life of the car. People have had them on their cars for 8 years or more without peeling or yellowing.

- Why would you ever use Carnuba wax when there is so many better things out there? It's the 21st century.
      06-18-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X5 M-Sport / Space Gray

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
-

- Why would you ever use Carnuba wax when there is so many better things out there? It's the 21st century.
thanks for the advice. I'm gonna give the clear film a second thought. So it's news to me that Carnuba based wax is archaic?

I'm gonna have to see what folks are using these days. :iono:
Appreciate 0