BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2022, 04:21 PM   #1
rturner20
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Swapped Intake, rough start no communication to ECU

Its going to the dealer after replacing the JBE, and DME

2012 135i M Package DCT

I changed out the intake manifold for a billet one to hopefully solve a under boost issue. The car has the mad 1k intercooler and all of the charge piping has been swapped out for aftermarket also. I went to start the car after I got the intake manifold on and all the errors came up on the nav display and it wouldnt start. I plugged my cable in and fired up mhd to check for codes... No communication now. I then found out that one of the plugs to the PCM under the intake wasnt seated all the way. I fixed that and left the car with the negative battery unhooked for a day and came back to it. This time it took about 10 second to start but sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders. I then took everything apart again and checked every plug in the ecu and made sure they were all tight. I tried to connect with ISTA and it wont talk to any of the modules. Any ideas before I send the PCM off to get checked? I mostly Build high HP DSM's and Honda's so this is kinda puzzling me. I checked all the fuses I could behind the glove box and they all checked out fine. Any Ideas or help would be appreciated.

Last edited by rturner20; 06-30-2022 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 01:39 PM   #2
rturner20
Rep

update:

I get crank no start and cant communicate with anything through OBD. When I hit the button to turn the car on I get errors for pretty much everything on the display. windows dont roll up when you close the door. I checked all the fuses I could get to behind the glove box and even replaced the DME. Its like a fuse is blown somewhere that runs all of the modules. I tried to swap out the JBE and that didnt do anything either. Any ideas on where to look and what to look for before taking it to the dealer and lubing up my butthole?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 11:12 AM   #3
rturner20
Rep

Another update: I had the car looked at by a BMW mechanic. He was able to get the car to start but I still cant communicate with any android app or ista, not even XHP for the tans works anymore. I even bought another cable to see if that was it. The car runs but has a every check engine light on and every computer is having an issue. Once the mechanic got the car started he said the motor was toast because the eccentric shaft stuck and blew the needle bearings out. He never took the valve cover off to look he just knew. He said a check engine light was on for the shaft and the car was undrivable and sounds like someone threw some bolts in the intake. He stopped working on it when I didnt want to pay for him to replace the shaft based on the dead motor comment. fixing a shaft wont fix the fact needle bearing are floating around in the motor. That concluded that adventure and I had the car towed the 70 miles back to my house. Since I didnt pay him to fix the motor nothing got put back together, everything was in a pile in the passenger seat. rant over

The car runs, it smokes now, seems to be fuel related. I still cant talk to the car with anything other than a basic obd scanner which show communication codes but no codes for the eccentric shaft and the car isnt very loud at idle. I wouldnt say it has an issue listening to it.

Any Idea as why I cant talk to any of the ecu's? Every fuse in the car is good, I checked them and the mechanic checked them. MHD says it cant talk to the DME, XHP says it cant find the trans ecu and ISTA wants the vin and then says it cant talk to anything even the JBE. When I start the car I get the 6 or 7 beeps and warnings for stability and abs and everything else under the sun.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 11:16 AM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

How's your battery?
      05-15-2023, 11:35 AM   #5
rturner20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
How's your battery?
it has a brand new one in it. I havent even coded it yet since I cant talk to car.
Appreciate 1
ShocknAwe3197.00
      05-17-2023, 12:57 PM   #6
rturner20
Rep

I bought one of those 700 dollar obd readers. It can read all the computers in the car and show all of the codes. Its still odd I cant talk to it through the cable that used to work or a new cable with multiple pieces of software that used to work that now dont. The only thing that will read it is a high end OBD scanner. Luckily when you spend that much on a scanner you get alot of OEM scanning which does point to a eccentric shaft issue. I just dont understand why I cant talk to the car anymore with anything but a high end scanner. Im going to put the car in my storage unit until I have a LS ready for it. The car has 89k miles on it and if it needs 4k worth of work currently, I can only imagine what it will need at 125k. I do know a 7 speed dct fluid change costs 1k and that needs done too.

I do have a question on the motor though. When the needle bearings go out in the eccentric shaft dont those just fall into the engine? Like directly into valve springs and down into the oil pan? where does the broken plastic go also? I would think it would end up in the oil pickup or stuck between a valve spring. Is just putting a new shaft and bearing in a reasonable fix or is it just a bandaid until the needle bearings and plastic take the motor out?

Thank you for the input and help along this interesting journey.
Appreciate 0