BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
OneTwenty8i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

128i Exhaust

A couple weeks ago I bought a 135i muffler and wanted to delete my resonator. I heard of many people doing this and was excited. I saw videos on youtube with the same setup and there was a lot of popping when you let off the throttle. The exhaust note was superb and the volume was good too. My car just got out of the shop and it doesn't sound anything like I expected. I'm bummed out. There is not nearly enough sound, no pops, higher end rpm is just drowned out by what I think is the airbox. Overall I'm mad I spent $350 on this setup. Any ideas on how I should make it louder? I can't remove my secondary cats since I live in California and I don't want to deal with the smog.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTwenty8i View Post
A couple weeks ago I bought a 135i muffler and wanted to delete my resonator. I heard of many people doing this and was excited. I saw videos on youtube with the same setup and there was a lot of popping when you let off the throttle. The exhaust note was superb and the volume was good too. My car just got out of the shop and it doesn't sound anything like I expected. I'm bummed out. There is not nearly enough sound, no pops, higher end rpm is just drowned out by what I think is the airbox. Overall I'm mad I spent $350 on this setup. Any ideas on how I should make it louder? I can't remove my secondary cats since I live in California and I don't want to deal with the smog.
Just to confirm, did they actually remove your resonator? You checked/looked? Also, if you haven't done the "golf tee" mod, that will add a bit of low rpm tone and pops/crackles.

Without a resonator it really should be louder....strange.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
OneTwenty8i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Just to confirm, did they actually remove your resonator? You checked/looked? Also, if you haven't done the "golf tee" mod, that will add a bit of low rpm tone and pops/crackles.

Without a resonator it really should be louder....strange.
I looked under the car and they installed a Y pipe where the resonator was. I was expecting the car to sound a lot more loud and raspy without the resonator but that wasn't the case. Car sounds maybe 15% louder than stock, which isn't saying much.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
I looked under the car and they installed a Y pipe where the resonator was. I was expecting the car to sound a lot more loud and raspy without the resonator but that wasn't the case. Car sounds maybe 15% louder than stock, which isn't saying much.
Well one thing you could do is install headers, that will give you some extra volume...but it's a slippery slope!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Just buy a Performance 128i Exhaust.

The 128i PE bolts(well you have to splice it into the exhaust after your y-pipe) but the Performance Exhaust kits really sound great. I've heard a e87 116i hatch with one and it sold me on getting a Performance Exhaust for my 135i. The 135i system is a little bit different... but you won't be sorry with the PE for the 128i.

DIY: BMW Performance Exhaust on 128i cabrio
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450937

When I installed N55 mid pipes on my N54... which deleted the secondary cats... I thought I'd have a great sounding exhaust. Sort of a poor man's PE. But I was also disappointed. It was a $400 mistake for me. Lus I felt that removing the secondary cats lost some Hp down low. I bought a PE and reinstalled my secondary cats(N54 mids)... and I am so happy!

This is what my 135i with a PE and a flash tune sounds like. The exhaust tone/pops is a result of the PE mostly.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
OneTwenty8i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Just buy a Performance 128i Exhaust.

The 128i PE bolts(well you have to splice it into the exhaust after your y-pipe) but the Performance Exhaust kits really sound great. I've heard a e87 116i hatch with one and it sold me on getting a Performance Exhaust for my 135i. The 135i system is a little bit different... but you won't be sorry with the PE for the 128i.

DIY: BMW Performance Exhaust on 128i cabrio
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450937

When I installed N55 mid pipes on my N54... which deleted the secondary cats... I thought I'd have a great sounding exhaust. Sort of a poor man's PE. But I was also disappointed. It was a $400 mistake for me. Lus I felt that removing the secondary cats lost some Hp down low. I bought a PE and reinstalled my secondary cats(N54 mids)... and I am so happy!

This is what my 135i with a PE and a flash tune sounds like. The exhaust tone/pops is a result of the PE mostly.

I actually love the exhaust note on this thing but it won't be loud enough for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
Tworl28
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2010 BMW  [0.00]
If your looking to make some noise just run a straight pipe (muffler delete) especially now you have removed your resonator, it will be LOUD. Will most likely have a lot of drone
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
I actually love the exhaust note on this thing but it won't be loud enough for my liking.
Maybe go back to your muffler shop... and have them cut open your rear muffler, remove all the "wohl" from inside the "box" and then have them weld it back up. A lot of the e9x M3 guys have done that mod. But IF you live in the "rust belt"... its only gonna last a few years.

What works even better is to remove the perforated pipes inside the muffler box and replace with a straight pipe or pipes with not so many holes.

Here is what I mean for you to do...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801752

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647138

http://forums.carolinaeuros.com/topi...t-mod-results/
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
OneTwenty8i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Maybe go back to your muffler shop... and have them cut open your rear muffler, remove all the "wohl" from inside the "box" and then have them weld it back up. A lot of the e9x M3 guys have done that mod. But IF you live in the "rust belt"... its only gonna last a few years.

What works even better is to remove the perforated pipes inside the muffler box and replace with a straight pipe or pipes with not so many holes.

Here is what I mean for you to do...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801752

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647138

http://forums.carolinaeuros.com/topi...t-mod-results/
I didn't even know this mod existed but this sounds really convenient for what I'm looking for, just hope it doesn't cost too much ... Thank you though
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50